[MAP] Vortex

how would you rate this map from 1 to 5?

17%
67%
17%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 6

[MAP] Vortex

Postby Rabidbutton » 01 Apr 2013, 12:40

a fairly small map, started making it a few days ago and this is a playable version...I hope you enjoy playing it and if you find anything wrong with it please don't hesitate to let me know, thanks :)

size: small-medium

gamemodes: all other than time trial

teams: Alpha and Omega

players: suitable for 8 players

edit: fixed minor issues(Jump pad shape, light variety, added plasma and flamer)
vortex.zip
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 235 times

20130401235125.jpg

20130401235115.jpg

20130401235034.jpg

20130401234947.jpg
Rabidbutton

Re: [MAP] Vortex

Postby greaserpirate » 02 Apr 2013, 03:44

Nice! The map has a nice neat and simplistic look and the gameplay is good as well, corrdors are nice and roomy and the flow is great, except for the middle hallway which is a huge chokepoint in non-ffa, and divides the map into two seperate arenas in ffa. I'd suggest making the rooms with the crates accessible and adding a wall outside of them, becuase the rooms are already there and it would give a lot more options to the players instead of cramming them into a single linear hallway.

The texturing is good, but the "ceil1a" texture looks a bit misused/overused. Some other large trim textures, such as wall2e and wall4e, would work better in my opinion.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 02 Apr 2013, 07:59

Hey Rabid! Good to see you finished a map! It looks nice and well-designed and I particularly love the jumppads. Both layout and the particle effects are great. Also the use of ambiance sounds in this map is fantastic. I agree with the comments of greaserpirate here: looking good, but opening up the middle part some more would be better. And I noticed the overuse of ceil1a al well, together with some other minor things, but I took some screenshots to clarify it for you.

screenshot.0001.jpeg
Some flag signs are mirrored.

screenshot.0002.jpeg
Windows over a fan texture is a big no-no.

screenshot.0003.jpeg
See all the grey and the same misc texture re-used on both walls and ceiling? Everything looks kinda dull. Try to bring some more variation with color or other textures too.

screenshot.0004.jpeg
The light textures are cut off with geometry, which looks strange. This would never be done IRL. Try to shift the texture some or add another texture in front and behind it when it still won't fit.

screenshot.jpeg
Half tiles placed on stairs? Another texture would fit better here.

Overall I really like the map. Work a little on the details and it will be great! Well done...
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 02 Apr 2013, 14:10

Hey, it's a nice little map, which guarantees a fast gameplay. The basic set-up and simple layout is perfect for teamgames.
Although I did only a quick check, I can only agree with the others concerning the middle room and about texturing. If you should open these neighboor rooms, you could implement altogether 3 entrances per little room, to connect everything with each other maybe. The texturing: yes well done in parts, but it could be better in parts also. Especially the parts where the end or beginning of a texture seems to be cut off, let some areas look unrealistic. A simple change of the offset settings together with scale could do wonders here :). I would also change and vary the texturing here and there, but the others mentioned that already. You have also room for some details, because the map runs very smooth and fast (200 fps in editing mode on my system). I would build maybe an interesting lamb or such, to use the potential. (Although this isn't a must or really necessary.) Besides the already mentioned jumpers, I like the high windows into the space :). I think this map will be great, when it's done.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden