[MAP] SkyIntricacy

Are you want see maps like this in a future ?

Yes, i want see maps like this
50%
Yes, i want see maps like this but your maze-like maps must look better.
17%
Yes, but i want see a maze-like maps in horizontal direction
17%
No. I hate mazes. Don't make maps like this -_-
17%

Total votes : 6

[MAP] SkyIntricacy

Postby TristamK » 16 Mar 2013, 23:37

skyintricacy
Map name : skyintricacy
Map creator : Tristamk
Build version : 12
Date of start creating : 08 03 2012
Last ver. date : 10 03 2013
Links :
download/file.php?mode=view&id=5812
About map from author :
Another map-experiment. Like you can see this a maze in vertical direction. At the start iam placed a mini-map of level so passing of level can be more easy. Also you can't die here (i think it a good news for some ppls ^_^ ) and map have good volumetric clouds (just particles but looks nice i think).
If you have any suggestions about this map, pls say your opinion.
P.S. And like i say before : "Speed of creating\posting maps depend on activity on forum"
Attachments
screenshot.0524.png
screenshot.0525.png
screenshot.0526.png
skyintricacy.zip
(4.59 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Re: [MAP] SkyIntricacy

Postby qreeves » 16 Mar 2013, 23:50

Crazy. Bit hard on the eyes and hard to know your way around with everything looking the same, but a great concept. Would be interesting to see what kind of gauntlet map you could come up with.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Mar 2013, 03:34

Hi TristamK,
Well done. I would like to make one constructive suggestion if you want the low-performance community to be able to play "SkyIntricacy." My framerate was 11-18 a second with the 2 smoke particle entities present and 27-50 a second with them removed. As pretty as they are, might you consider removing them? Also, perhaps we could help you make this map better before making more maps like it. I suggest a coordinate grid system formed of colors so that a player can orient themselves without drawing a copy of the map at the beginning on a piece of paper.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby TristamK » 22 Mar 2013, 22:47

Thanks for feedback qreeves and Dratz-_C.
If speak about changing a color and creating a coordinate system...hm. i think if i will do it then it can start work isn't like maze. Here you just use your logic and memory. And it isn't so big maze for addicting a additional things for orientation. This a my opinion...
SkyIntricary v1.1
I am tried improve map without a globall changes.
For now all cubes on map have a different sides (you can see it on screens). But as a result size of map increased x2 o_0 .
Also i reduce a particles and get a +20fps on my laptop.
P.S. Maze map for gauntlet mode ? hah. i will think about it :)
Attachments
screenshot.0001.png
screenshot.png
skyintricacy.zip
SkyIntricary v1.1
(9.21 MiB) Downloaded 219 times
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby Dratz-_C » 23 Mar 2013, 03:42

Dear TristamK,
I like the new variations of the cube faces. I do not know what to do to substantially reduce the 9.2mb file size other than to say that perhaps there is a way to use texturing rather than geometry to achieve the effect. I have see this method used in Oblivion and Skyrim. For testing methodology, a map with no extra players shooting at each other has a higher framerate than one tested with 11 other players or bots executing the game mode. It is just something to consider. Here is what I had to do to get all the way through the map without frankly quiting for lack of interest. I added a helper map along side the actual course of the maze rather than just at the beginning. It may look too easy but it made it more fun for me. I did it by copying your helper map, increasing the grid size so that a paste would match the size of the larger maze, pasted beside the big maze and then further out pasted beside the first paste. Then I made the inner larger copy of the helper smaller maze alpha+clip material. Naturally, I recolored the alpha to match your existing alpha. After that I increased the lighterror to from 8 to 16 which saved 750kb. Next, I losslessly compressed the preview png to 250kb which saved 130kb. Following this, I resized the preview png to 256 by 256 pixels and losslessly compressed it which saved 300kb over the original 512 by 512 pixel map preview image. I will post some screenshots and offer with no obligation to let you have my little edit if you want to look at or use it. Some qualifications I would like you to know about before you subject these screenshots to scrutiny are that players cannot walk onto the guide map and are still clipped into the same course they had been before and the screen captures were taken using mostly low Red Eclipse visual settings.
SkyIntricacy-_Dratz_C-_01.png
SkyIntricacy-_Dratz_C-_02.png
SkyIntricacy-_Dratz_C-_03.png

Cheers
Dratz-_C