[SUGGESTION] Jetpack idea

Tell about jetpacks!

Dont change. If jetpack is enabled, everyone has to use it.
25%
There is no big advantage of jetpack over no-jetpack; so let everyone toggle it on/off as he/she needs.
45%
Everyone can decide, but please not switch ingame; set your preferences in player profile.
5%
Jetpack sucks, please remove it competely from game.
25%

Total votes : 20

[SUGGESTION] Jetpack idea

Postby riidom » 13 Feb 2013, 03:15

Can we have, that jetpack is optional in jetpack-enabled games? Like, press J to toggle it on/off. Have an icon maybe that is black/textured to indicate.

Edit: Added Poll.
riidom

Re: [SUGGESTION] Jetpack idea

Postby favorito » 13 Feb 2013, 03:50

This is fascinating, I hadn't thought of this before. I voted for the "able to toggle" option.

Here's a thought: what if we always had the option of using jetpacks, period. Remove the mutator, and make it just another main mechanic of the game? There would be some re-balancing (probably increase the jetpack cost by a bit) needed, but it could be interesting. Then of course, there would be the toggle on/off option available during play (or just another key to use the jetpack instead of jump).
Remember, don't shoot food.
favorito

Postby ballist1c » 13 Feb 2013, 03:53

Yes please; much easier to melee on the ground then.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby qreeves » 13 Feb 2013, 05:46

Jetpack games in RE are unpopular for a few reasons (and popular for one); I believe it interferes with the game mechanics too much and is regularly chosen by newbies, mostly because it "sounds" cool. For me, it is a toss up between optional and remove completely. As I hate removing anything that people may on the off chance enjoy, I voted to make it optional (or move it to a separate key/combo).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby raiden » 13 Feb 2013, 09:48

I voted for optional use, because I found it sad to kick this already working feature and although I don't really use it too.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Ulukai » 13 Feb 2013, 10:17

I actually like it the way it is, but wouldn't mind to be able to turn it off or on in a jetpack match.
Please don't remove it from the game, that's why we have mutators, RE is all about choice.
Ulukai

Postby wowie » 13 Feb 2013, 12:38

Why not just activate the jetpack with a third spacebar press, when the jetpack mutator is enabled...? This way it would be:

1st press=jump
2nd press=impulse jump (aka double jump, midair jump)
3rd press=jetpacks are activated for as long as the key is held down. (triple/extended/jetpack jump)

The current setup is: Activate jetpacks anytime the spacebar is held down for more than a fraction of a second.

This way it would be easily useable without interfering with all the other impulse move combos. I don't know of any that require 3 spacebar hits in a row.
No need to assign it to an extra key. This game already has more keys than can comfortably fit in a standard keyboard layout. It makes me glad that I have a 5-button mouse. :D
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby riidom » 13 Feb 2013, 13:24

I am aware of the problems that come with introducing new keys. But in this case it is okay I think, since it is nothing you need to trigger really quick - in comparison to the wallrun key, for example. And if it turns out that new movement strategies come up with the ability to operate the jetpack in a sudden, it can be rebound to something better. On the other hand, your idea with the 3rd spacebar hit sounds interesting too.
riidom

Postby Ulukai » 13 Feb 2013, 15:00

I wouldn't call having to press a button 3 times an effective way to execute an action... Better with a seperate key or the way it is now.
Ulukai

Postby quintux_v » 15 Feb 2013, 02:39

I have to disagree with the notion that there is no advantage to having the jetpack if you choose at whim what you want. I remember once playing a ballistic + jetpack dm which involved pretty much everybody floating above the ground so you couldn't really hit anyone easily. That was a hard match even with the jetpack on; having it off would be impossible. However, I do agree that having a toggle option would be nice; in jetpack matches (when I play them), I always try to kick and just end up floating quite weirdly. I'm too used to non-jetpack :)
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby wowie » 16 Feb 2013, 04:30

Jetpack ballistic is a fun novelty mode. The key is timing your detonations properly... and relying on mouse2 more than usual.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby ballist1c » 16 Feb 2013, 19:35

wowie {l Wrote}:Jetpack ballistic is a fun novelty mode. The key is timing your detonations properly... and relying on mouse2 more than usual.

Yea it's one of the only good uses for those 2 muts.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c