Red eclipse mines

Red eclipse mines

Postby Rabidbutton » 16 Dec 2012, 13:58

Mines are something that I think would be great for Red eclipse, they would add another level of strategy and would be very fun to use, for instance you could throw and stick a mine to the wall next to a weapon for the unsuspecting wall runner to chance upon...and the secondary fire could send a burst of health within a radius so that the injured have a further chance of survival, that is just one way that mines could work, what do you think?

MineType1 friendly 0001.jpg

MineType1 neutral0001.jpg

MineType1 hostile 0001.jpg

The pictures are of a finished model that I have created for the cause(They kinda look like oreo's) :)
Last edited by Rabidbutton on 18 Dec 2012, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidbutton

Re: Red eclipse mines

Postby raiden » 16 Dec 2012, 14:14

Good idea, but I don't know if this will catch on. However, you have my vote, why not :).

:::edit:::
(The models look ok, but the textures could have a bit more details like technical stuff maybe?)
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Evropi » 16 Dec 2012, 14:31

The models are great (they remind me of air hockey table pucks a bit though), but I don't think it would work well in Red Eclipse.

The game is too frantically-paced for this to work. It would just end up being annoying as you'd doing your business, jumping about the place as usual and then bam, you step on a mine and are thrown off into oblivion and just die straight away. It would be extremely annoying. Or, it would be the most useless weapon ever, like the HLAC in Xonotic which was moved to 'fun weapons' as no-one ever stepped on the mines it spat out.

Due to the above stated reasons, I don't think it's a good fit for Red Eclipse.

BUT! Fret not. There's a very talented young chap that is creating a game based on the same engine as Red Eclipse called Iron Fist. This intends to be a (much slower-paced than RE) tactical shooter, though so far most work has been on the graphics (esp. particle effects) and a new physics system. It uses the same models as RE. So it would be a great fit for that. Do contact the Iron Fist developers, I'm sure they will be interested in this - no tactical shooter is complete without some planning involved (as in setting up mines).
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby cdxbow » 16 Dec 2012, 22:55

I vote for Mines, but they might fit better with MekArcade. It could be special ability an engineering class mek can only do or it could be a generally available weapon. You would have to be able to shoot 'em up. "Commander, clear the minefield then proceed to rescue the hostages", for a SP mission. Would you have a detector? eg something appears on radar indicating mines in the area. Would there be a way to deactivate them/retrieve them/pinch them?
cdxbow

Postby quintux_v » 17 Dec 2012, 01:13

Rabidbutton {l Wrote}:you could throw and stick a mine to the wall next to a weapon for the unsuspecting wall runner to chance upon

So it's basically like an untimed secondary-fire grenade?

Rabidbutton {l Wrote}:and the secondary fire could send a burst of health within a radius so that the injured have a further chance of survival, that is just one way that mines could work, what do you think?

I'm liking that idea a lot more, as it's very risky - you could just as easily heal one of your opponents.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 17 Dec 2012, 02:06

I think seeing as you have already taken the time to create something and show a fully developed idea, that it is worth a try for both games. I can imagine it being nice to set up a "road block" on a wall for those places where everyone comes flying around using their parkour. I dare say I'd modify the grenade secondary to be more unique if I did this too, so fret not.

In fact, I have another couple of variables I'd like to implement right now based on this idea, just for the hell of it.

EDIT: Rabid, if you leave the glowing part white, I can create a material mask and control its brightness/colour with the game (like team and player colours are currently done). This is something I'd eventually like to do for all weapon/entity/projectile models.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 17 Dec 2012, 04:12

UPDATE: I've added the variables to create a "cloaked proximity mine".

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
grenadecooked2 0
grenadepower2 0
grenadeproximity2 16.0
grenadetime2 60000
grenadevistime2 1000
grenadevisfade2 1.0

Basically, this behaves exactly like the grenade secondary, but it fades/silences out when it sticks to something, and explodes if anyone goes near it.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Architect » 17 Dec 2012, 05:09

hmmmmmmmmmm, sounds a lot like proximity nade, which wasn't implemented
Architect

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Dec 2012, 05:49

Hello everyone,
Thanks for bringing this subject up. I have always liked playing with scenarios involving explosives. About using the grenade, what if the player's proximity to the surface determined what the grenade would do. Standing apart from the surface the throws are the same. Now face the surface and press grenade primary. The grenade sticks to the surface. You can now remote detonate the grenade. The grenade remains greenlit. I walk around the corner and when I am near the grenade you press mouse 1. One beep like the ticking grenade sound is heard as the grenade explodes. You are now ready to use another grenade. Time to try on the surface grenade secondary. The grenade sticks to the surface. The grenade is unlit. If it is to disappear, the player and team in control of it should still see the grenade even as the opposing teams do not. Stand clear as I walk around the corner. When I pass the grenade it activates by proximity. Two beeps like the grenade ticks are heard as the grenade lights green and explodes. Also another trick is that you can put a string of more than two grenades on the surface if you can manage to find enough of them over time. Different weaponfire could do different things to grenades fixed to surfaces. Ballistic and thermal weapons blow the grenade up. One by collision and the other by proximity. You can disable a grenade with the pistol if there is no-one around. However if there is a group of enemies by someone else's remote detonated grenade you can use the flamer secondary to begin the process of heating the grenade up to detonation temperature. Energy weapons disable the clamping mechanism on the grenade freeing the grenade for further use. I cannot believe how excited I am just talking about a grenade.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Architect » 17 Dec 2012, 06:10

plasma secondary nade, win!
actually, having different types of nades would be a good idea if you have someone to work on implementation
for laughs you could make a vending machine for nades, reminds me of Starsiege Tribes inventory stations
Architect

Postby Rabidbutton » 17 Dec 2012, 06:30

Quin I am about to start working on the animations, do you have any preferences/specifications?
Last edited by Rabidbutton on 17 Dec 2012, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Rabidbutton

Postby qreeves » 17 Dec 2012, 06:49

It doesn't need to be animated, projectiles are generally static. You can animate it if you want, but I'd be doing any flashing/etc from the engine by material colours.
qreeves

Postby Rabidbutton » 17 Dec 2012, 07:00

I mean the throwing animation really, is it possible to have the mine disappear out of the hands at a certain frame so that it looks like it has been let go of when the projectile is launched?
Rabidbutton

Postby qreeves » 17 Dec 2012, 07:04

It does that with the grenade already, it disappears based on time.
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 17 Dec 2012, 08:12

Allright, mines for RE :) Well done Rabid and nice to see the backing of the RE community to your idea.
The mines look OK with a familiar shape but yet a futuristic look about them. Yet they remind me a bit of a baking plate :D
Ulukai

Postby ballist1c » 17 Dec 2012, 15:13

Can the primary be like the Grenade Launcher in Warsow/Q3? :>
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Blindman » 17 Dec 2012, 18:08

I know xonotic *cough cough* does this on a few maps. I like the idea though as mines have been a part of a lot of fps games over the years, most notably enemy territory.
Blindman

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Dec 2012, 22:23

Ulukai,
When I first saw the mine, I thought it looked like a video arcade button.
stock-photo-10871971-video-arcade-buttons.jpg

Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby greaserpirate » 18 Dec 2012, 01:14

This idea might add a lot of strategy to RE, but I can see this potentially being INCREDIBLY annoying if you die instantly with no warning. A proximity mine that beeps a couple of times before blowing up sounds like a good idea though.

Also: I like the look! RE does have sort of a "old-scool arcade evolved" style, so arcade buttons would fit in pretty well.
Last edited by greaserpirate on 18 Dec 2012, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby quintux_v » 18 Dec 2012, 01:30

Blindman {l Wrote}:xonotic

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Warsow/Q3

where am I? I thought I logged into the Red Eclipse forums.

but, back on topic.
what is the proposed animation for the mine? Will it be thrown like a frisbee or just dropped on the ground behind you in a method similar to waypoints? It is flat, so it can't just be chucked like the grenade is.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Rabidbutton » 18 Dec 2012, 05:58

Here are the files for the model...I hope everything is correct! ;)
Mine.zip
(528.57 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Rabidbutton

Postby Ulukai » 18 Dec 2012, 07:37

Ah yes, arcade buttons look alike too, i like it.
Would like to see it in action now!
Ulukai

Postby Blindman » 18 Dec 2012, 08:23

quintux_v {l Wrote}:
Blindman {l Wrote}:xonotic

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Warsow/Q3

where am I? I thought I logged into the Red Eclipse forums.

but, back on topic.
what is the proposed animation for the mine? Will it be thrown like a frisbee or just dropped on the ground behind you in a method similar to waypoints? It is flat, so it can't just be chucked like the grenade is.

hence the cough cough. Wasnt aware I was swearing.
Blindman

Postby qreeves » 18 Dec 2012, 08:59

Quick and dirty prototype is in SVN now, use spawnmines to try them.
qreeves

Postby S.E.S » 18 Dec 2012, 15:13

To Rabidbutton:

Update from "SVN" and looked animation. Very good. Nice work.

Apologies for the previous posts (deleted)
and apparently I was wrong. Sorry ...

To Quin:

It's great and very quickly add in "RE".
S.E.S