Red eclipse mines

Re: Red eclipse mines

Postby Blindman » 18 Dec 2012, 19:21

coolbeanz
Blindman

Postby Architect » 18 Dec 2012, 19:23

can there be an option to have them be flat against a surface?
this would allow placement anywhere, like ceilings, etc
think it would look better
Architect

Postby Blindman » 18 Dec 2012, 19:37

server up at 216.27.113.122:26000, mines active
Blindman

Postby qreeves » 19 Dec 2012, 00:11

Architect {l Wrote}:can there be an option to have them be flat against a surface?
this would allow placement anywhere, like ceilings, etc
think it would look better

See: "quick and dirty" - I have a week old baby, cut me some slack, I know it looks stupid at the moment :P
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Architect » 19 Dec 2012, 02:22

Sorry mate, I thought you weren't speaking to me,
But yeah, I know all about your current situation
Architect

Postby Blindman » 19 Dec 2012, 17:08

Overall I think its good, of course the mines will need tweaking , but it adds to the gameplay rather well I think. Right now with spawnmines 1, the bots use them like untimed nades, flinging them at you at every turn.
Blindman

Postby quintux_v » 19 Dec 2012, 19:26

Blindman {l Wrote}:the bots use them like untimed nades, flinging them at you at every turn.

:lol:

Destructo-disks?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby TheLastProject » 19 Dec 2012, 20:19

Albeit I think they're fun, I'm personally wondering what to do with them. They have this clear relationship to grenades, and that feels slightly weird. For the first time in Red Eclipse, a weapon feels "similar" to another weapon. I think we should seriously think about adding the mines or not, but I'm not saying this is a bad idea per definition (in fact, I found them to be fun).
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby qreeves » 20 Dec 2012, 01:00

Both grenades and mines need tweaking so they become more dissimilar, I'm well aware how weird it is because I am the one that put the "unique" rule there in the first place. I did a bit more tweaking last night, and will likely do more today, but I am just working in short bursts between other real life obligations. If anything, consider it an experiment (and one that will ultimately benefit MekArcade anyway); a formed idea was presented and we're just trying it out.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby greaserpirate » 20 Dec 2012, 02:32

I tried it out, and I'm really surprised how quickly it's come together! The models look great and fit in with the game very well. The secondary weapon still needs a bit more work- the collide was set to impact players, so if you step on one you instantly die without warning, also the proximity is tiny, and if you're in the proximity but not directly on top of them, instead of going off in one or two seconds they never detonate. But even so I'm amazed that these completely new features could be added so quickly.

I had my doubts about the primary (mines that go off instantly), but they were actually a lot of fun. Since they beep and they're easy to notice, they are less of the "damnit why did I die" variety of mines. Instead, since they can be set off by shooting, they're more like explosive barrels in a lot of games.

By the way, one idea for the future might be to have some kind of "no-mine clip" that deactivates mines if they're thrown in certain areas, like under flags or on the other side of doorways. It wasn't a problem when I played, but I can see it being a potential issue.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby qreeves » 20 Dec 2012, 04:50

Just added proximity detonation time delays and made some more general improvements.
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 21 Dec 2012, 00:28

Demonstration:

youtu.be/AOKc7pPM3j0
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 21 Dec 2012, 01:33

Hi everyone,
I like how the mines are shaping up--and now for my quote of the day.
Do not push quin's buttons. Sometimes it does not appear that he has buttons but this clandestine footage proves he does. Let careless souls beware, lest their fates be rife with nasty but beautiful explosions.

Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby greaserpirate » 22 Dec 2012, 00:51

Wow! I think this sets a record for fastest entirely new feature implementation.
I had my doubts at first, but the mines are actually a lot of fun to use, and they fit well with Red Eclipse.

Nice job, Quin! :)

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby cdxbow » 23 Dec 2012, 14:52

Roll 'em in to MekArcade straight away. Not as a modded grenade, but as a new weapon type, mine. Please. Perfect for the engineer.
cdxbow

Postby quintux_v » 25 Dec 2012, 00:33

the animation in the video is kind of funny, but it works. I'm liking how this is coming out, will the mines be pickups like the grenades?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 25 Dec 2012, 00:40

quintux_v {l Wrote}:the animation in the video is kind of funny, but it works. I'm liking how this is coming out, will the mines be pickups like the grenades?

Yeah, most likely.
qreeves

Postby Blindman » 25 Dec 2012, 00:51

I started looking at maps, added some mine pickups to echo
Attachments
echo.tar.gz
echo map for re with mine pickups
(265.14 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Blindman

Postby ballist1c » 25 Dec 2012, 21:58

Hm, was expecting a mine-layer type weapon instead, but this is cool - just the animation definitely needs to be improved. No way will I flip metal pizzas at opponents >.>
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby TheLastProject » 25 Dec 2012, 22:17

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Hm, was expecting a mine-layer type weapon instead, but this is cool - just the animation definitely needs to be improved. No way will I flip metal pizzas at opponents >.>

Exploding metal pizzas. Don't tell me that there's anything more bad-ass than that.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby wowie » 26 Dec 2012, 05:04

I actually like the throwing animation. Holding it looks awkward, though.

Just pick up a frisbee or a dinner plate with both hands, then compare it to the RE player's grip on the landmine and you'll see what I mean. :)
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Rabidbutton » 26 Dec 2012, 21:04

wowie {l Wrote}: Holding it looks awkward, though.
Just pick up a frisbee or a dinner plate with both hands, then compare it to the RE player's grip on the landmine and you'll see what I mean. :)

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the way a basket ball is held to be thrown, the hands may not be sitting quite right though...take this image for example, look familiar?
Attachments
Basketball.jpg
Basketball.jpg (3.67 KiB) Viewed 9506 times
Rabidbutton

Postby wowie » 27 Dec 2012, 07:33

Disc =/= sphere. Never would I try to hold a disc the same way I hold a sphere. I just tried throwing a plastic lid like your animation does, and I had a hard time with it...
I'm going to try to borrow a camera and record a video of what I think it would/should look like while holding/throwing these, and do it based on your animation, too.

I'll do it with a transparent plastic lid, so you can see where the hands are without the object being thrown getting in the way.
The main reason I like the throwing animation is because it flips end-over-end when thrown, not because I like the way it's held.

...But if I were to modify only one thing about your current animation, I would make it so that the knuckles on the right hand do not bend backwards. Ouch. That hurts. ;)
(You can't tell in the video because of the low resolution, but I immediately notice it when I fiddle around with the mines in SVN)
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Blindman » 27 Dec 2012, 08:31

got the following error building latest svn (4591)

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
main.cpp:(.text.startup+0xb0): undefined reference to `numcpus'
main.cpp:(.text.startup+0xc1c): undefined reference to `numcpus'
engine/lightmap.o: In function `patchlight(int*)':
lightmap.cpp:(.text+0x15c63): undefined reference to `numcpus'
engine/lightmap.o: In function `calclight(int*)':
lightmap.cpp:(.text+0x164ed): undefined reference to `numcpus'
engine/pvs.o: In function `genpvs(int*) [clone .part.47]':
pvs.cpp:(.text+0x9739): undefined reference to `numcpus'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [client] Error 1
Blindman

Postby Rabidbutton » 27 Dec 2012, 08:50

wowie {l Wrote}:...But if I were to modify only one thing about your current animation, I would make it so that the knuckles on the right hand do not bend backwards. Ouch. That hurts. ;)
(You can't tell in the video because of the low resolution, but I immediately notice it when I fiddle around with the mines in SVN)

Even though the bones in the fingers were fairly straight, the hand model its self has some rough bends, I have circled one out in a picture so that you can see...
Attachments
Hand.jpg
Rabidbutton