map/mod idea "Spheres"

map/mod idea "Spheres"

Postby Inogord » 18 Nov 2012, 00:43

not nice english, sorry
Everything has to be optimized and should work fast.

A number of (~ 10) spheres fly in a large sphere (or parallelepiped, pyramid ...).
Sphere strike and repel each other and from the walls of the large sphere.

Sphere's material - glass or polymer. Spheres is transparent, may have the color, transparency may be different.
Spheres can be bent in collisions, or be static.
The entire map is light, almost white sky and a large transparent sphere, light blue or white small spheres ...

Players running the walls of the spheres (running on the floor, wall and ceiling), running on the entire inner surface of the sphere.
Players see through the transparent wall of the sphere, what is happening in other spheres.

Inside the spheres, in the center, a small energy glowing white light ball, a portal to move to another sphere (portals can be several, can use different colored light). The player can jump high in any place of the sphere, and then, he will go to teleport and move in space.

If make spheres of different sizes, then little sphere more to fly away from the big sphere. But, for example, the sphere with the flag may be small, but have a large mass ...
Spheres can rotate.

A separate version of the map, may will make run on either side (both surfaces) of the sphere and the death of a player if he pressed of the sphere.
You can add teleports and on the outside, but can make a version without teleporters, players will just jump to other spheres, as they approach.
Spheres may be with windows (shooting, moving) or without.
Inside a large sphere can also be static or dynamic, fixed on one place or mobile portals.
Portals can teleport to one particular sphere or to a random spheres, or the destination may vary, depending on the time (flag is taken, ...), button pressing, etc. ... Portal can throw you into a large sphere or beyond and you die. Or can make portals and windows on a large sphere.
Sphere can be divided by color commands, make in one sphere base, in the other - flag, in the third - a weapon, the fourth - armor, in the fifth - fast-clinic-area,...
Can make Black Edition and change all colors to the dark and etc.
Size, colors, destination, weight, opacity, transparency, thickness ... of the spheres can be made dynamic.
Сan make moving bullets, grenades and rockets through the portal, or through several portals with the ricochet by internal sphere's surface.

And can make a number of spheres in each other, matrioshka, with teleporters or/and windows for to move and shooting. They can be static or collide with each other and squash the players.

The portal can be the color of his sphere. The portal can contain an image of his sphere with contents (players, weapons, bullets).

A huge number of variations.

And, can make some big spheres, within them will be smaller spheres. Big spheres will collide and they will also be within a huge sphere.
A huge spheres will also be many and they will be inside of megasphere ...^^
Last edited by Inogord on 19 Nov 2012, 08:31, edited 5 times in total.
Inogord

Re: map/mod idea "Spheres"

Postby quintux_v » 18 Nov 2012, 04:22

so this would be like a giant map that's made of many smaller maps, which you could jump to and from?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Inogord » 18 Nov 2012, 14:49

Standard Editor:

Height of player ~2 blocks.
Single jump ~5 blocks.
Double jump ~8 blocks.

Default version of the map:

One maternal large transparent sphere (transparent and hollow ball, "inflatable ball"). Diameter of maternal large sphere ~100 blocks.
Outside of the maternal large sphere is nothing, only one of coloring light.

Inside of the maternal large sphere locate ~8-12 small transparent spheres. The diameter of the small sphere ~11-16 blocks.
Small spheres are flying and turning, collide and scatter (reppel). And strike and repel by the inner surface of the maternal large sphere.
Players run and fight on the inside of the SMALL spheres. Players run around the inner wall (inner surface) of the small sphere.

In the center of a small sphere locate a portal to another sphere.
Player can do a single jump in small sphere, but if he will do a double jump, then he can reach up to the portal and will teleportation to another small sphere.
Inogord

Postby Inogord » 18 Nov 2012, 18:37

quintux_v {l Wrote}:so this would be like a giant map that's made of many smaller maps, which you could jump to and from?

One map/mod, but a lot of editions.
Inogord

Postby Inogord » 18 Nov 2012, 21:57

Project: "Spheres". General scheme № 1
Attachments
Spheres.PNG
Inogord

Postby Sniper-Goth » 19 Nov 2012, 00:24

Something like this?
Attachments
screenshot.0067.png
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Inogord » 19 Nov 2012, 00:42

Yes. Its a small sphere.
A player must be attracted to the surface of the sphere in any place of the sphere.

And your sphere have corners, but the entire surface must be perfectly smooth.
May be possible use Blender's models for spheres?
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3773&p=37869#p37869
Inogord

Postby qreeves » 19 Nov 2012, 04:04

Engine would need to be rewritten to use Quaternions instead of Euler angles due to Gimbal lock. Don't count on that happening.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Inogord » 19 Nov 2012, 08:36

qreeves, you mean to make a new engine from scratch?
Or add a not big module-plugin. The engine will analyze the map and will automatically turn on or off plugins?
Inogord

Postby Skorpio » 19 Nov 2012, 13:22

Inogord {l Wrote}:A player must be attracted to the surface of the sphere in any place of the sphere.

That's a great idea for a mod and it would be a pity if it can't be done in RE. I've always wanted to see an M.C. Escher shooter. :D (I'd probably get motion sickness in such a game, though :eew: )
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby wowie » 19 Nov 2012, 17:47

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I've always wanted to see an M.C. Escher shooter. :D (I'd probably get motion sickness in such a game, though :eew: )

That makes me think of this custom Portal 2 level: (off-topic video ahead)

youtu.be/_xFbRecjKQA
Last edited by wowie on 20 Nov 2012, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby bonifarz » 20 Nov 2012, 08:27

Wowie, that is about what I had in mind here:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3503&p=36339&hilit=periodic#p36339
As you can see in the videos last part, this does not require any special tweaks in the engine, but only smart usage of teleports - well, and a teleport functionality that feels smooth and undetectable to the target.

Inogord: The engine is called cube (2) and is based on voxels. So your sphere without "corners" reminds me of the Quadrature of the circle
bonifarz

Postby ballist1c » 21 Nov 2012, 00:14

Inogord {l Wrote}:qreeves, you mean to make a new engine from scratch?

LMAO!
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby quintux_v » 21 Nov 2012, 03:46

Or add a not big module-plugin. The engine will analyze the map and will automatically turn on or off plugins?

wth? this is a game engine that generally uses mid-level hardware (designed to run on low hardware but is often used on good hardware from what I've heard), not some kind of a magical superprogram that can do whatever you want. Also, why would anyone bother to make a new engine just for the sake of an idea? Yes, it's a pretty decent idea, but with some modifications could probably work out in RE as it is.
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby Evropi » 21 Nov 2012, 15:16

quintux_v {l Wrote}:

it's a pretty decent idea, but with some modifications could probably work out in RE as it is.

Firstly, working with graphics is really difficult. Really, really difficult, unless you are a math genius. Particularly when the graphics in question are created using the OpenGL (similar to DirectX, and just as advanced/horribly verbose)... as they are for the Cube 2 Engine. SDL is a bit easier, but the performance-critical parts have to be written with OpenGL as SDL (before version 2) does not offer hardware acceleration.

Secondly, consider the long-term implications this would have on the project. Mr Reeves is in close contact with the engine hacker eihrul. Features integrated into the Cube 2 Engine would be considerably more difficult to port to Red Eclipse. To leverage the power of open source, you must co-operate and maintain some rudimentary form of code compatibility.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby quintux_v » 22 Nov 2012, 02:23

I think you've misunderstood me... The engine doesn't need to be modified, but the idea that is being presented could be. However, in all seriousness, the original idea probably wouldn't work with any of the variations of the Cube engine. Even the simplified sphere idea wouldn't work. As mentioned before, the idea of the M.C. Escher map could work if teleporting was a smooth operation.
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby Inogord » 22 Nov 2012, 11:45

I can not understand, what you mean about this man M.C. Escher? He use 2D distortions, optical illusions in his works. This is possible by cutting down one of the dimensions of space. 3D -> 2D, 4D -> 3D,... It's just fake.
And in "Spheres" no distortions, no optical illusions here.
Inogord

Postby wowie » 22 Nov 2012, 16:14

Inogord {l Wrote}:I can not understand, what you mean about this man M.C. Escher? He use 2D distortions, optical illusions in his works. This is possible by cutting down one of the dimensions of space. 3D -> 2D, 4D -> 3D,... It's just fake.
And in "Spheres" no distortions, no optical illusions here.

We are off topic. "Spheres" cannot be accomplished in this engine unless someone wants to undertake a monumental effort to rewrite large portions of the engine.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby Inogord » 23 Nov 2012, 07:40

Can make a stripped-down version with the static "spheres" (polyhedrons), I do not mind.
Inogord