[Texture] Lava Replacement

[Texture] Lava Replacement

Postby quintux_v » 04 Nov 2012, 06:28

This is a replacement lava texture since I didn't really like the old one. The folder, as stated in lava-readme.txt, includes a diffuse, bump, normal and specular/glow map, even though you just need the diffuse map. license is CC-BY-SA, of course. To use it in a map, just change the mapname.cfg (Thanks qreeves for that!), that'll replace the old lava texture while keeping the special features (pulseglow and scrolling).

Lava-small.jpg
The 256x256 preview
Lava-small.jpg (114.18 KiB) Viewed 6114 times

lava.zip
The download, version 2.0
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 266 times
Last edited by quintux_v on 05 Nov 2012, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Re: [Texture] Lava Replacement

Postby qreeves » 04 Nov 2012, 08:06

You can change the lava texture from your map config.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TristamK » 04 Nov 2012, 10:48

quintux_v , can you show a "ingame" sreenshot with your texture?
qreeves, if me or quintux_v want see his lava textures in RE, this texture must be used on his maps or this texture can replace original texture?
Attachments
screenshot.0375.png
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby greaserpirate » 04 Nov 2012, 18:05

TristamK, where'd you get that texture? It looks amazing.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby raiden » 04 Nov 2012, 19:29

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:TristamK, where'd you get that texture? It looks amazing.

That was also my first thought :).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby quintux_v » 05 Nov 2012, 03:56

qreeves {l Wrote}:You can change the lava texture from your map config.

Alright, I'll look into that.

TristamK {l Wrote}:quintux_v , can you show a "ingame" sreenshot with your texture?

yeah, I'll get to that by tomorrow if I can access the desktop.
TristamK {l Wrote}:qreeves, if me or quintux_v want see his lava textures in RE, this texture must be used on his maps or this texture can replace original texture?

Initially I planned on having my texture replace the old one, yours actually looks less like lava and more along the lines of molten rock turning into magma. But hey, it's the choice of the players. I know I'll use it in maps (if I ever make any).
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby S.E.S » 05 Nov 2012, 11:02

What I am doubtful that the texture of lava can tie "specularuty" and "bump." Generally, it is not clear what to do with the "bump" texture?
In addition, the archives are no textures to "dudv" and "lavafall."
Overall liked the texture. The only thing I want to see, in my opinion, in the texture too much yellow - perhaps an orange-color looked more appropriate.

I experimented a bit with the texture. Here's a screenshot:
20121105123450.png

20121105124512.png

The following screen shot - it's not lava material, but just a normal texture, where the "bump" is used as "z":
20121105125058.png

I must say that the texture of the screenshots probably does not look as conceived by the author, so please do not follow the screenshots presented to evaluate the texture!
S.E.S

Postby TristamK » 05 Nov 2012, 13:50

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:TristamK, where'd you get that texture? It looks amazing.

This texture by Nobiax. This texture have public domain licence. I want use it on my map. Maybe. If need i can post a screenshots of my work. :)
Hm. On S.E.S.'s screenshots lava texture by quintux_v doesn't look so good as original RE texture....it's my opinion. Ok . I will wait your version of screenshot, quintux_v.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby Ulukai » 05 Nov 2012, 16:22

I like the lava texture in the screenshot of TristamK a lot as well, dunno how it would turn out when used in a large area. It looks more like magma indeed which is nice and different. The other texture is less to my liking, it seems too artificial.
Ulukai

Postby TristamK » 05 Nov 2012, 18:39

how it would turn out when used in a large area

Look on screen.
I increase size of texture from 0.5 to 2 here. It doesn't look so perfect but it look good i think.
Attachments
screenshot.0380.png
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby quintux_v » 05 Nov 2012, 21:07

S.E.S {l Wrote}:What I am doubtful that the texture of lava can tie "specularuty" and "bump." Generally, it is not clear what to do with the "bump" texture?
In addition, the archives are no textures to "dudv" and "lavafall."
Overall liked the texture. The only thing I want to see, in my opinion, in the texture too much yellow - perhaps an orange-color looked more appropriate.

I made all four textures in MaPZone, which can be used to create bump, normal and spec/glow maps in addition to the diffuse map, the bump/normal maps were to give it a bit of a "layers of lava", with lighter lava on top and denser, heavier lava below it. The spec map can be used as a glow map, but it looks like it's bright enough without it. I'll look into how it feels with more orange.

Just out of curiosity, are there any textures that actually have lavafalls in them, other than "cargo"? I also looked into data/textures - all the extra textures for water are included, but only the diffuse lava texture is included, so do I need to include the dudv and other textures?

Your screenshots are okay, the last one is outdated as that was an older version of the lava texture that had a bad normal map. The first picture looks relatively large, the texture is large, however, as I designed these to be used with /vscale, usually with .25 as the parameter.

TristamK {l Wrote}:

This texture by Nobiax. This texture have public domain licence. I want use it on my map. Maybe. If need i can post a screenshots of my work. :)
Hm. On S.E.S.'s screenshots lava texture by quintux_v doesn't look so good as original RE texture....it's my opinion. Ok . I will wait your version of screenshot, quintux_v.

Don't bother waiting, SES's are okay. Thanks for your opinion.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:The other texture is less to my liking, it seems too artificial.

how so? Not random enough?

TristamK {l Wrote}:
how it would turn out when used in a large area

Look on screen.
I increase size of texture from 0.5 to 2 here. It doesn't look so perfect but it look good i think.

In that screenshot, I think it looks a little misleading, as it kind of looks like it might be safe to walk on in some areas.

Do you guys have rules on filenaming, by the way? I'm thinking it's all lowercase... which, if so, I would need to fix.
[eX] member
quintux_v

Postby Ulukai » 06 Nov 2012, 09:51

I think a size 1 instead of 2 for the large area would have been better. It looks a bit blocky now.
The other texture looks a bit artificial because it is quite shining (almost glassy) from what I see on the screenshots and all shapes in it are quite round. I'm not saying it is bad, I just liked the other one more ;)
Ulukai

Postby hulk » 06 Nov 2012, 11:19

TristamK {l Wrote}:quintux_v , can you show a "ingame" sreenshot with your texture?
qreeves, if me or quintux_v want see his lava textures in RE, this texture must be used on his maps or this texture can replace original texture?

Looks great, this should become the new lava texture. You only need to make the lava on the texture "flowing" by adding a second layer to the texture, i hope you get what i mean. Then it would be perfect.
"Red Eclipse pwns Sauerbraten. Deal with it." - hulk
"low FOVs make me sick" - hulk

nickname RE: PENiS
hulk