[Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.0

Re: [Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.0

Postby Ulukai » 27 Jul 2012, 08:50

Nice to see another new release. I will put it on my server once it's up again. He will be down for a couple of weeks because we installed solar panels and I had to shuit it down for a while. I will use this opportunity to reinstall my server with arch linux instead of ubuntu for easier management, but I need to find some time to do this.
Ulukai

Postby 4rson » 27 Jul 2012, 19:14

I have updated the version on frogteam server 3. It is vote-able as industrial (1-0-7 removed).
4rson

Postby qreeves » 28 Jul 2012, 06:38

Included in Red Eclipse as of revision 3775. I modified the map quite extensively to suit DTF and Deathmatch, plus increased the "lightprecision" to make the file size more suitable. I also added a fogdome with an envlayer to make the horizon look a bit better.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 30 Jul 2012, 07:51

I've been playing around on this map a bit, and I still can't get the situation with the doors to the resupply room resolved to my liking. The biggest problem is AI navigation, and the inability to specifically set waypoints to only traverse in one direction whilst on the ground. I fixed this in non-team games by playing with the triggers to keep the doors open, but we still get the situation where the bots can't get into the resupply room in team games, which is where the bulk of the weapons spawn (and hence, generate a high affinity to go that way to get them).

screenshot.0005.png
Door problem example.

I know in the TF2 version of the map, the doors will open from both sides, but won't allow members of the opposing team in there. Do we really need to make the outer door one-way? If so, is the only reason to prevent the opposing team to get in there?
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 30 Jul 2012, 21:51

qreeves,
The map is not my baby but I say, apart from coding something special like TF2 where the opposing team cannot enter the spawn room, make the doors triggered to open from both sides for both teams in all games or, failing that and as my last choice, remove the doors. (Also, thank you for adding defend the flag. I was considering adding it but was intimidated by needing to change the map layout for bots and thus decided to leave it alone. I'll have to try 3781 in defend the flag after posting.)
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 20 Oct 2012, 01:03

John_III and qreeves,
Might /maxparticledistance # solve the disappearing smoke from the rearmost smokestack on one side? Conversely, would this cause any problems with the framerate or something else? If this idea seems good, I would be happy to edit into the SVN.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby John_III » 27 Oct 2012, 19:48

I'll take a look and see if I can fix them.
John_III

Re: [Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.1

Postby Dratz-_C » 31 Dec 2012, 05:48

Hello folks,
After weighing a significant demand from other people playing industrial I have updated the map with navigation signs. I also increased the viewable distance of the smoke particles coming from the stacks. Finally I did a texturecull to save about a third of a megabyte off of the config file. I will try to put the new version in the svn. I suspect I will need to have my sourceforge name approved by quin for that access. Alternatively someone else already with access such as Ulukai could upload the map for me. In the mean time feel free to vet the changes to make sure they are serviceable.
Map v 1.1.0
industrial.zip

Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 31 Dec 2012, 09:42

I haven't had the time to take a look at the map itself, but it sound like healthy changes to the map.

Rules about SVN access include that I can update my own maps and others' maps by request. Since you are not the original author of Industrial John_III or Quin will have to review your changes and upload it to SVN if approved.

EDIT: after looking at the changes, it is indeed easier to find your way around the map but I don't like the signs of Alpha in the Omega base and vice versa. It is confisung and and unethical :p
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 31 Dec 2012, 14:04

Ulukai,
I was wondering whether the base direction signs were necessary or just confusing. Thanks for bringing them to my attention and I apologize about it. I will take those signs out and return with another revision. The next version should have a pvs as it noticeably increases the framerate for me. I will edit this post when I get back.

I have adjusted the map using your advice. The pvs increased the map size but it might not be time to increase the lightprecision. Tell me if you think otherwise. Note that (because of a new pvs format?) this only runs with the svn.
Map v 1.1.1
industrial.zip

I have just recalled that the defend the flag affinities would do well with signs being present on their base-interior sides. This would total as two more signs. Perhaps you should wait for me to add them before you download another version. The successive 1.1.2 should be up in 7 hours.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Re: [Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.1.3

Postby Dratz-_C » 01 Jan 2013, 02:51

Hi Ulukai,
I have added the needed signage. I also flipped 8 upsidedown microlight models the right way. I could try a pvs cell size of 128 instead of 64 to bring the filesize down a bit while hopefully still benefiting the framerate of people with modest computers. The potential visibility set is at approximately 5000 size 64 cells and size 128 cells may put it at about 2500 of them. I will experiment while you take a look at this version.
Map v. 1.1.2
industrial.zip

I am back with a new version containing about 1250 size 128 potential visibility cells. This brings the filesize to a more reasonable level. I will have to test for the performance difference tomorrow.
Map v. 1.1.3
industrial.zip

Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 01 Jan 2013, 14:41

I'll try to take another look at it tomorrow. You should talk to Quin or John_III for uploading permission though...
Ulukai

Re: [Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.1.3

Postby Dratz-_C » 01 Jan 2013, 22:10

John_III added the objective signs and small geometric fixes to the svn in http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/redecl ... geset/4609 . Hopefully this change will make the flow of the map more enjoyable by focusing players on game objectives when they look for help in accomplishing them from the signs. Also, I would like to thank Ulukai for the help making it clear to me with whom to talk.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 02 Jan 2013, 10:22

That's a welcome change for an otherwise already awesome map.
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 07 Jan 2013, 06:40

I have added 4 signs for 2 defend the flag affinities that I missed before. I cut out 4 light models that disappeared before one reached playing view distance. I added two light poles, one on the stack that I took the light models away from and one on a water tower. The red lights over the alpha base stacks I have changed to blue. I have eliminated some unseen geometry and cut unseen textures from the lightmap. To reduce that PVS size I clipped out as much nullspace as i could while still keeping seperation from the existing clip around the playspace. This should make removing the clip easier, which should slightly reduced the octree nodes. I will do this removal when I am certain I have not erred in the editing process and that no geometric fixes are necessary. For now here is a preview.
industrial.zip

I will look for John_III on irc later today.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby John_III » 07 Jan 2013, 18:50

It looks good. The signs are very helpful.

However, I noticed a small texture and model rotation glitch in the spawn rooms:

http://i.imgur.com/VmttU.jpg
John_III

Postby arand » 07 Jan 2013, 19:02

John_III {l Wrote}:It looks good. The signs are very helpful.

However, I noticed a small texture and model rotation glitch in the spawn rooms:

http://i.imgur.com/VmttU.jpg

That's I think is something that's gone awry in SVN RE general, (look at grate in echo for example), so I'm not sure that should be fixed in the maps or in RE itself.
arand

Postby raiden » 07 Jan 2013, 19:14

arand {l Wrote}:That's I think is something that's gone awry in SVN RE general, (look at grate in echo for example), so I'm not sure that should be fixed in the maps or in RE itself.

I recognized this also in echo (SVN), but sadly don't know, what causes that.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 07 Jan 2013, 19:29

This happened most of mapmodels in most of maps and it is due to a new "roll" function. I suppose all those maps needs to be checked and fixed and re-uploaded then, or easier fix - starting value for roll should globally be "0", not "100" or "99" as it is now.

EDIT: Correction: It is not on most of map probably, values are different and optimal value seems that should be individually set.
Last edited by D.A.M.I.E.N. on 08 Jan 2013, 02:39, edited 4 times in total.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby Dratz-_C » 08 Jan 2013, 01:14

industrial v1.1.7
industrial.zip
I removed more textures from the light map and some additional unused geometry and fixed model rolls that I could find to 0. An additional pvs update could be done but would save almost no filesize and would not improve what the player sees. However I will see if I have the time to do one tonight.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 08 Jan 2013, 02:16

I will try to look at that today.
qreeves

Postby John_III » 08 Jan 2013, 17:35

I committed the most recent update to the SVN after making a small texture fix on the stairs.
John_III

Postby Dratz-_C » 08 Jan 2013, 17:39

John_III,
Here is a new pvs for the minor geometric changes and a mapshot using the maximum graphics options. I too made those minor texture fixes on the stairs. Since I was typing this before you posted and I saw your message, I will go ahead and do it anyway.
v 1.1.8
industrial.zip
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby John_III » 08 Jan 2013, 18:27

SVN updated with version 1.1.8
John_III

Postby John_III » 09 Jan 2013, 17:04

Update with texture fix, model roll update, and noclipping now in the SVN.
John_III