[Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.0

Re: [Map Release] ctf_industrial v1.0

Postby Dratz-_C » 10 Jan 2013, 04:02

John_III,
Snags are something I have heard a complaint about. People will like that the noclip makes it easier to get around. Looking at everything with maximum settings, maybe the water defend the flag signs could use a light each so they show up from above but even below the water line. Also there are 8 lights pointing up when they should point to the side on the walls of the tunnels leading down in the water from the main pool. If you want I can do this stuff this weekend at which time I can also remove the pvs reduction clip in the outer area of the map to save a few octree nodes. They are big grid size so it would not save much and we should be sure to make any geometric changes that will be made before one of us deletes the extra clip. The clip is necessary to generate an efficient number of pvs cells to match the geometric changes affecting visibility--but, eventually the clip can be deleted.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby John_III » 11 Jan 2013, 22:29

I fixed the light model rotation and added some additional lights to the underside of the bridge to illuminate the objective signs. I also made some minor adjustments to the noclip. This latest update is in the SVN.

Feel free to modify any of the clipping to adjust map efficiency/sign lighting.
John_III

Postby Dratz-_C » 11 Jan 2013, 23:06

John_III,
Thanks for the lights. Technically the declipping of door trim should not require a regeneration of the potential visibility set at cell size 128 both because of the smallness of the change and because it is noncontiguous geometry. I may take a look at the map from the SVN on the basis of efficiency and objective focusing on Saturday or Sunday after I unwind from fundamentals of chemistry class and assess the amount of homework I have due for Monday. I will look at what to do with the pvs clipping in three scenarios in order of easiest to hardest. One approach would be because it is a large grid size to leave it as it is which would make it easy to edit when a regenerated pvs in necessary. Another approach would be to merge the player and pvs clipping which would not gain much efficiency for the player but would help when generating potential visibility sets in the editor. Another would be to delete the pvs clipping which would gain a smidgen more efficiency for the player but necessitate redoing the pvs clip each time the regular or clip geometry changes enough to change what a player sees and warrant a new pvs.
[I contracted food poisoning or the flu I admit on Monday but have not been able to get well yet. This includes the customary multiple vomiting. I do not feel like editing "Industrial" or doing any other work right now. There are no game breakers and for the present the map is better than it was.]
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Mar 2013, 03:02

John_III,
Now that this map has been trimmed from 1.4 should we see if it is salvageable and find out what should be done to improve it?
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby John_III » 03 Mar 2013, 05:46

Sure. The latest version can be grabbed out of the repository.
John_III

Postby greaserpirate » 03 Mar 2013, 07:52

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:John_III,
Now that this map has been trimmed from 1.4 should we see if it is salvageable and find out what should be done to improve it?
Cheers

It got trimmed? Damn, I really liked it. It filled the 'huge map' niche very well. Admittedly, it doesn't work very well for ffa with a few people (which it sometimes got voted for) but insta protect-CTF with 10 players was awesome.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby quintux_v » 04 Mar 2013, 05:43

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:It got trimmed? Damn, I really liked it. It filled the 'huge map' niche very well. Admittedly, it doesn't work very well for ffa with a few people (which it sometimes got voted for) but insta protect-CTF with 10 players was awesome.

It was a good map, but I almost never played it due to speed issues on my end. That's probably similar to other players as well.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 04 Mar 2013, 10:15

quintux_v {l Wrote}:
greaserpirate {l Wrote}:It got trimmed? Damn, I really liked it. It filled the 'huge map' niche very well. Admittedly, it doesn't work very well for ffa with a few people (which it sometimes got voted for) but insta protect-CTF with 10 players was awesome.

It was a good map, but I almost never played it due to speed issues on my end. That's probably similar to other players as well.

That, and the map didn't really work all that well for RE in my opinion.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves