RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby Sniper-Goth » 06 Aug 2013, 23:00

This brick wall i made today certainly doesn't looks bad, even if i did pixelate it a little, as im not really aiming for realistic textures :v .
Attachments
20130806184559.jpg
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 07 Aug 2013, 10:24

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:This brick wall i made today certainly doesn't looks bad, even if i did pixelate it a little, as im not really aiming for realistic textures :v .

Looks like a screenshot from Tetris :p
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 07 Aug 2013, 11:48

Ulukai {l Wrote}:
Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:This brick wall i made today certainly doesn't looks bad, even if i did pixelate it a little, as im not really aiming for realistic textures :v .

I like Tetris :)
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 07 Aug 2013, 13:09

Unnamed {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:

I like Tetris :)

Haha, so true :D
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 14 Aug 2013, 01:57

I made this today to test more the textures :p
Attachments
20130813213927.jpg
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby greaserpirate » 14 Aug 2013, 14:41

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I made this today to test more the textures :p

Looks great! Kinda reminds me of ancient Japanese architecture, I don't know why, and it's good-looking and original.

You might want to make the lights stick out or go into the ceiling instead of being stuck on, though, and the trak5 textures between them look a bit out-of-place.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Sniper-Goth » 14 Aug 2013, 17:49

greaserpirate {l Wrote}: Looks great! Kinda reminds me of ancient Japanese architecture, I don't know why, and it's good-looking and original.

Yes, im aiming for a more oriental type of textures as you can see.
RE needs a bit more variety, don't you think?
Sniper-Goth

Postby Sniper-Goth » 16 Aug 2013, 16:41

TACTICAL DOUBLE POST INCOMING(I had to do it :v).

I started to make models! :D
Attachments
20130816122726.jpg
Sniper-Goth

Postby quintux_v » 17 Aug 2013, 07:09

Some questions about waypointing, just tried it and I feel very noobish and unsure of everything. Wiki page only tells me of waypoint commands.

-What are the guidelines on waypointing, e.g. don't jump where unnecessary, etc?
-What can bots do in relation to parkour? Can they use impulse mid-jump?
-How are bots + waypoints affected by pushers?
-Does the orientation of the player while dropping waypoints affect the orientation of the bots? (I've been dropping most waypoints by running backwards)
-Can certain waypoints be undone (e.g. missed a jump, fell, etc)?
-Do certain mutators (I'm thinking jetpack) change waypoint usage?
-are waypoints dropped in edit mode?
-can you edit waypoints after saving them?

Also, where do I go to skytexture faces? I don't see a menu option and don't know a console command, and there's not a texture for that, I think.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby ballist1c » 17 Aug 2013, 17:54

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-What are the guidelines on waypointing, e.g. don't jump where unnecessary, etc?

Jump whereever you want the bots to be able to jump, and walk where you want them to walk, generally

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-What can bots do in relation to parkour? Can they use impulse mid-jump?

Yes, only it's rare for them to do it.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-How are bots + waypoints affected by pushers?

Pretty badly - bots interaction with pushers is always a pain, and you can only hope that you have retraced/refined the path enough for it to work.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-Does the orientation of the player while dropping waypoints affect the orientation of the bots? (I've been dropping most waypoints by running backwards)

Not sure, heh

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-Can certain waypoints be undone (e.g. missed a jump, fell, etc)?

Yes you can highlight parts of waypoints and delete them, etc.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-are waypoints dropped in edit mode?

lol, ya didn't know? You have to turn them on first: F3 -> ops -> waypoints -> show waypoints + create waypoints
yes, you can edit them in the same menu.

quintux_v {l Wrote}:Also, where do I go to skytexture faces? I don't see a menu option and don't know a console command, and there's not a texture for that, I think.

You mean to set a skybox? command is /skybox <filepath>, so if i wanted the Divine one by skiingpenguins, would be /skybox penguins/divine; OR just use the additional GUI by S.E.S which is amazingly helpful in a ton of ways :D
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby bonifarz » 17 Aug 2013, 19:07

quintux_v {l Wrote}:-Does the orientation of the player while dropping waypoints affect the orientation of the bots? (I've been dropping most waypoints by running backwards)
-Can certain waypoints be undone (e.g. missed a jump, fell, etc)?
-Do certain mutators (I'm thinking jetpack) change waypoint usage?
-are waypoints dropped in edit mode?
Also, where do I go to skytexture faces? I don't see a menu option and don't know a console command, and there's not a texture for that, I think.

I think the orientation does not matter, it seems a bidirectional graph, so any path you run forward also works backwards.
To remove waypoints, select a volume and then use /delselwaypoints. "Highlighting" or "editing" waypoints is new to me, but you can always remove and add new ones to your liking. Edit mode is useful for dropping them, as you can toggle with F1.
Sky-material can also be dropped on cube faces, should be in the texture list close to the very top. In case that is what you mean.
bonifarz

Postby Dratz-_C » 17 Aug 2013, 21:13

Quintux_v,
When the skytexture is entirely missing from the texture browser, entering "exec config/map/textures.cfg" from edit mode will bring it back.
Where, instead of a texture that looks like sky, you want to create invisible geometry for clipping assistance with diagonals, type "skytexture 0" which will refrain from making visible all geometry that is skytextured. As a qualification, you can shoot through clipping, but you cannot shoot through "skytexture 0" invisible geometry.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Calinou » 17 Aug 2013, 21:14

You do not drop waypoints in edit mode, while spectating, or while dead. You do drop them while using jetpack, though. You should also only jump when it's required.
Calinou

Postby Ulukai » 17 Aug 2013, 22:55

Importantly, don't forget to save your waypoints before quitting your map or the game, I used to forget it when I started with it and I banged my head on my desk several times :p
In general, I set gamespeed to 200 in edit mode and run around the map where I want the bots to go. I don't try to run in straight lines too much and try to use the whole width of walkways and hallways so that the chance of bots colliding is quite restricted. For pushers or jumps I set gamespeed to 100 again because the precision is important, as mentioned above.
Ulukai

Postby quintux_v » 19 Aug 2013, 23:57

Thanks for all the help, guys, some of this information needs to be added to the wiki, specifically the details on using waypoints (e.g. jumping limitations, etc).

ballist1c {l Wrote}:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:-What can bots do in relation to parkour? Can they use impulse mid-jump?

Yes, only it's rare for them to do it.

Okay, so bots should be able to jump across gaps in a single jump without impulse.

ballist1c {l Wrote}:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:-are waypoints dropped in edit mode?

lol, ya didn't know? You have to turn them on first: F3 -> ops -> waypoints -> show waypoints + create waypoints
yes, you can edit them in the same menu.

If I knew, I wouldn't have asked, right? :)

bonifarz {l Wrote}:I think the orientation does not matter, it seems a bidirectional graph, so any path you run forward also works backwards.

Okay, I had remembered seeing something about one-way doors (and thus waypoints) on another topic and just wanted to check.

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:When the skytexture is entirely missing from the texture browser, entering "exec config/map/textures.cfg" from edit mode will bring it back.
Where, instead of a texture that looks like sky, you want to create invisible geometry for clipping assistance with diagonals, type "skytexture 0" which will refrain from making visible all geometry that is skytextured. As a qualification, you can shoot through clipping, but you cannot shoot through "skytexture 0" invisible geometry.

That's what I was looking for, thank you very much.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Importantly, don't forget to save your waypoints before quitting your map or the game, I used to forget it when I started with it and I banged my head on my desk several times :p
In general, I set gamespeed to 200 in edit mode and run around the map where I want the bots to go. I don't try to run in straight lines too much and try to use the whole width of walkways and hallways so that the chance of bots colliding is quite restricted. For pushers or jumps I set gamespeed to 100 again because the precision is important, as mentioned above.

I'll start using that, thanks for the tip.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Sniper-Goth » 20 Aug 2013, 00:47

-Does the orientation of the player while dropping waypoints affect the orientation of the bots? (I've been dropping most waypoints by running backwards)

The bots don't like pushers much, almost always they will impulse during a pusher jump, depending of the direction.

If you make an waypoint when making a big jump(like jumping down from a building), it will be one-way.
Sniper-Goth

Postby qreeves » 20 Aug 2013, 01:01

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:

The bots don't like pushers much, almost always they will impulse during a pusher jump, depending of the direction.

If you make an waypoint when making a big jump(like jumping down from a building), it will be one-way.

Are they? That should probably be fixed.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Sniper-Goth » 20 Aug 2013, 01:45

qreeves {l Wrote}:
Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:

Are they? That should probably be fixed.

I tried to remake Q3TOURNEY6 map, but when i get in the pushers part, the bots kept impulsing instead of just letting them go by itself.
I could attatch the map for you to see it for yourself, if it's a waypoint problem or something.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Unnamed » 26 Aug 2013, 17:48

For my next map I want to use few of the textures and a skybox I made.
I shouldn't upload the textures to this forum. The file size is already higher than 20MB now.
Attachments
screenshot.0165.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Jamestonjes » 26 Aug 2013, 19:15

Unnamed that looks so good *wipes a tear away*
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby qreeves » 27 Aug 2013, 09:15

Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:Unnamed that looks so good *wipes a tear away*

+1 - try mediafire unnamed.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby BioHazardX » 31 Aug 2013, 13:44

Hey guys, I need some help. I'm trying to create a mini-map (my first map) and I've got a few of questions:

1) How can I make an hexagon shape? I'm not able to modify well the borders of a cube platform (pressing mousewheel+q), I need to cut them perfectly diagonally;

2) In the changelog 1.4 version is written that now there are 4 types of lava and water. How can I display all of these to choose the best one for me?

3) And is possible to modify some vars of the map making special its gameplay, where these changes can be applied offline and online only for that map? Because I need to know:
a) a var where you can start with all the weapons (pistol, shotgun, smg, flamer, plasma) except the rifle;
b) a var where you can set the time of your spawn after die;
c) a var where you can set the lava damage (e.g. you lose 5 hp per second) instead to die instantly.

Thanks. :D
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Unnamed » 31 Aug 2013, 14:03

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:1) How can I make an hexagon shape? I'm not able to modify well the borders of a cube platform (pressing mousewheel+q), I need to cut them perfectly diagonally;

If you want all angles and side lenghts to have the same value it's difficult.

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:2) In the changelog 1.4 version is written that now there are 4 types of lava and water. How can I display all of these to choose the best one for me?

Select the cubes where you want to habe lava or water and type /lava or /lava1 or /lava2 or /lava3 or /lava4 (same for water and glass).
They look all the same way, but you can change it by changing some variables. There are variables for every lava, water and glass material (like watercolour, water2colour,...).

BioHazardX {l Wrote}: a) a var where you can start with all the weapons (pistol, shotgun, smg, flamer, plasma) except the rifle;
b) a var where you can set the time of your spawn after die;

These variables are not map specific.
Unnamed

Postby BioHazardX » 31 Aug 2013, 19:56

Thanks Unnamed for your reply.

Another question that I forgot: where can i select the mapmodels? In Sauerbraten it's easy, it's already added in the UI or just press F4. In Red Eclipse this doesn't work, I wonder what key I have to press it...
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Sniper-Goth » 31 Aug 2013, 20:19

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:Thanks Unnamed for your reply.

Another question that I forgot: where can i select the mapmodels? In Sauerbraten it's easy, it's already added in the UI or just press F4. In Red Eclipse this doesn't work, I wonder what key I have to press it...

F3>ents> create mapmodel
Sniper-Goth