RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: Mapping

Postby qreeves » 31 Aug 2011, 09:32

In most cases you're looking to modify the "yaw" attribute. Which attribute this is varies between entities.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby AxE » 31 Aug 2011, 14:38

to rotate a mapmodel you need to edit the yaw and pitch, yaw for a 360 degree left and right
AxE

Postby inpersona64 » 31 Aug 2011, 18:54

Think someone can recreate Blood Gulch from Halo? Just curious...
inpersona64

Postby Phy83r0pt1k » 01 Sep 2011, 01:08

Inpersona64, why not try to make it yourself and submit it to the community?
Phy83r0pt1k

Postby Ulukai » 01 Sep 2011, 11:41

Why remakes? Why not create your own fun map?
If you recreate existing maps of other games, you will be compared and usually the original is better. Bloodgulch is a big map with vehicles, I don't know if it would be so much fun in Red Eclipse...

Sometimes it can be fun though, I always likes to play the remake of CTF-Face in Sauer :)
Ulukai

Postby YaRo » 01 Sep 2011, 20:36

BTW, in case of moving our XS servers, lavafall (New time-trial map) testers (including you, Damien) have to wait for one or two weeks, however we promise that we will do our plan (new chamber every 3 days) and it will be finished until 3 weeks. So you are gonna see all 10 chambers and run it to challenge all your skills! See you all!

P.S. Mr. Reeves, i will send you all my work (with lavafall and one new DM map) when map is finish.
YaRo

Postby inpersona64 » 07 Sep 2011, 02:08

I want everyone to know that if you have a map that you want other people to try out, post or email a link to me. I'm posting new created maps on my Youtube channel in a small series called "Map Test", as small playthroughs. My hope is that everyone's map gets seen, and maybe, even end up in the next release of RE.

Cmon everyone! I want to try some new and fun maps! :D
inpersona64

Postby inpersona64 » 07 Sep 2011, 02:11

Phy83r0pt1k {l Wrote}:Inpersona64, why not try to make it yourself and submit it to the community?

I'm not a mapper. I'm not good at it. Nor do i enjoy it. Too tedious for me. I'm more of a quick-get-it-done kind of guy. I'm fast paced and...oh, I'm sort of like Red Eclipse :)

So yeah.
inpersona64

Postby Ulukai » 10 Sep 2011, 18:37

OK, I only need to add some clipping around the edges and get some AI in my map and then it is finshed.

But I have problems with the waypoints. I noticed that the bots create waypoints when playing a game, and that is very clear. You see them getting smarter every second. But how can I enable to save those waypoints in the map? When I started a new game in my map, they were stupid again?? :)

Thanks for the help.
Ulukai

Postby fluxord » 10 Sep 2011, 21:09

Ulukai {l Wrote}:OK, I only need to add some clipping around the edges and get some AI in my map and then it is finshed.

But I have problems with the waypoints. I noticed that the bots create waypoints when playing a game, and that is very clear. You see them getting smarter every second. But how can I enable to save those waypoints in the map? When I started a new game in my map, they were stupid again?? :)

Thanks for the help.

Oh, I just figured out that RE doesn't have a command for saving waypoints like in Sauerbraten:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
/savewaypoints filename

The command doesn't exist?
My guess is: Are the waypoints automatically saved within the map with the /savemap command then?
Need devs help!

Also, I hope you finish your nice map!
fluxord

Postby qreeves » 11 Sep 2011, 03:20

fluxord {l Wrote}:My guess is: Are the waypoints automatically saved within the map with the /savemap command then?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner :p

Waypoints in RE are actual entities, which you can edit/delete/link/whatever like normal ("/showentnoisy 1"). If there aren't enough (or any) waypoints, human players currently active on the map in a non-editing gamemode will drop them automatically up to a predetermined limit (to drop them in editmode, or beyond the limit use "/dropwaypoints 2"). This means that you can play online with other people to generate your waypoints too. If you are happy with the waypoints you can then "/savemap" (but this is always left up to the mapper to do).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 11 Sep 2011, 08:07

So if I'm getting this right, I have to add some bots in editing mode, run around the paths I want them to learn and then save the map?

Yes, I noticed that they are generated in a normal game, but after say 10 mins of CTF, I can't save the map because I'm not in editing mode, right?
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 11 Sep 2011, 13:05

Sure you can.
qreeves

Postby ZeroKnight » 13 Sep 2011, 19:41

I'm not sure how actively I'm going to try, because I tend to lose drive and inspiration (and motivation :/) quite easily on things GFX related, as I don't find myself very good, but I'm going to try my hand at some mapping for RE. Honestly, I've gotten quite addicted to just wanting to contribute (this'll be my first community project, woo!) as I've gotten to learn quite a bit.

Anyway, pointless rant about me aside, yes, I'm going to start trying to learn how to map in general, as I've never done it before. I grabbed and saved some offline docs from the links provided in the main post, so I'll be reading through them. I've already got an idea and reference images for a map. I'll call it "plant" or "atomic", as it will be a heavy, dark, industrial type indoors map, that will essentially be a futuristic styled nuclear/atomic power plant of sorts. I figured such large complexes like that would have plenty of opportunities for high and low places/ledges, and things to run and jump on and along, etc. Would be great for parkour, and will definitely be a map that encourages it. (I'll even try to make it so you can't get certain places without it) But that's all my hopes after all, let's see if I can do it ;P

I might actually even just start with a simple CTF map. wont look good, but it'll be nice to start with.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby qreeves » 14 Sep 2011, 04:39

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:I might actually even just start with a simple CTF map. wont look good, but it'll be nice to start with.

Yeah, I recommend thinking small to begin with, it can get very overwhelming. Focus on making a good, tight map with a decent layout, for your first map anyway.
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 14 Sep 2011, 09:02

Indeed it is overwhelming, but very addictive as well ^^ Looking forward to try your work.

A point of advice, as it was new to me too a few weeks ago: learn how to copy, move, rotate and mirror selections as it will dramatically speed up the process of building architecture. Experiment with some basic shapes in an empty map before beginning your real map.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Ulukai

Postby Phy83r0pt1k » 14 Sep 2011, 14:19

I can help anyone with doing advanced mapping. I'm quite familiar with triggers, sky/cloudboxes, manipulating textures, creating brush entities and other mapping things.
Phy83r0pt1k

Postby ZeroKnight » 14 Sep 2011, 17:33

Thanks for the pointers, you two ^_^ I wonder if Phyber could help me too, despite myself not being advanced ;P

But yes, I'm going to try quite hard to get at the very least decently skilled enough to make maps that can be included in RE, because that's my goal. I'd love to be able to contribute at least one good map. ^^
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby Ulukai » 14 Sep 2011, 20:13

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:Thanks for the pointers, you two ^_^ I wonder if Phyber could help me too, despite myself not being advanced ;P

But yes, I'm going to try quite hard to get at the very least decently skilled enough to make maps that can be included in RE, because that's my goal. I'd love to be able to contribute at least one good map. ^^

That was my goal too, but now that my first map is finished I'm thinking to start another for which I already have an idea. Unfortunately it is a little difficult atm because I have a 7 months old son to take care of and now I know how much time mapping took me :D
Ulukai

Postby 4rson » 17 Sep 2011, 23:27

I do a lot of my mapping with my 2 month old son strapped to my chest. Seems to keep him entertained more than desperately waving toys around.
4rson

Postby inpersona64 » 18 Sep 2011, 00:25

4rson {l Wrote}:I do a lot of my mapping with my 2 month old son strapped to my chest. Seems to keep him entertained more than desperately waving toys around.

Shapes are cute :D
inpersona64

Postby Ulukai » 18 Sep 2011, 10:15

I had tried that too, but at 7 months all they want to do is bash on the keyboard :D Given my work hours, my only alternative is to lose some sleep and do it at night...
Ulukai

Postby Goku » 06 Oct 2011, 15:45

figured i would bump this up, its quite useful.

here i will add this. it helped me with lighting.

http://cloford.com/resources/colours/500col.htm
Goku

Postby Ulukai » 28 Jan 2012, 15:56

I'm at the last stage of my new map and am placing some jumppads to reach certain areas. I can get them to work, based on examples in other maps, but as usual it's hard to find out what all values exactly do. Could someone give some information different pusher types, color pallets of jumppads, and maybe other stuff that matters?

Thank you :)
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 31 Jan 2012, 10:33

Question is a bit vague, what exactly do you want to know?
qreeves