RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 31 Oct 2012, 15:50

Thanks raiden and S.E.S.

I use it just like this. Scale and such things I do in the editor.

example:

setshader bumpspecmapworld
texture c yughues/pattern07.png
texture n yughues/pattern07_n.png
texture s yughues/pattern07_s.png

for "decals" it is suppossed to be, for instance:

setshader decalworld
texture 0 luckystrike/asphalt_01.jpg
(diffuse)
texture d nobiax/decals_d.tga (diffuse)

The point is, to make decals with alpha transparent. I don't understand why Cube 2 Engine doesn't work well with specific textures like that, not only as mapmodel.
Beside it, there is a really small number of map models, and when I downloaded some free ones, the files don't correspond with type in re. You might have some ideas,
in that case I am sometimes on irc: #frogteam on freenode.

But back to the decals. I don't get why shader decalworld uses only two textures - texture that is blended and texture covered, so without possibility to use normal,
specular, glow and other types. If I add it normally as you say, you can see on picture how it is working. Edges (specular texture) are visible, this is not what I'm looking for.
It just doesn't look good, imagine even some darker background and it will look just terrible.
But I think I found even another way. Anyway, thanks for feedback.

The video is created in the real-time rendering software: Marmoset Toolbag. Very impressive tool. The game engine is 8monkey Labs.
Attachments
screenshot.0158.png
By the way, I wonder why when taking a simple screenshot, HUD, text are basically unvisible. It makes just some noise. (SVN version)
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby S.E.S » 01 Nov 2012, 07:34

Moreover, both the texture in "decalworld" displays as "stdworld." All that comes to mind - to do texture manually.
S.E.S

Postby TristamK » 01 Nov 2012, 20:48

I have a few questions.
I have a hi-res textures with Public Domain licence. And i want use it on my map. If the map will be enough quality to be included in the release and it will be used by the large size of the texture, do I have to do anything with the textures ?(change size of it or something else)
Second question. What i must fix on my map capinox for quality increasing ?(i want see it in release)
And question about shaders a interesting
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby qreeves » 02 Nov 2012, 05:19

You can include textures if you need it, they should be in jpg or png format, and probably no more than 512x512 unless absolutely necessary (this is not just about the size on disk, but the uncompressed size in video memory). I will review more maps soon, I'm currently otherwise occupied with real life drama at the moment.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 08 Nov 2012, 19:24

Hello, here is the map Echo updated by me.

List of changes:

*some textures changed (and adjusted to preserve original colours)
*added grass
*fixed/added lights (for instance were missing at lamps)
*fixed flags, playerspawns (was floating)
*minor improvements (geometry)
Attachments
echofix.zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 404 times
screenshot.0189.png
screenshot.0188.png
screenshot.0187.png
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby raiden » 08 Nov 2012, 23:40

Nice, I like the gameflow on this map. Good to have a freshed up version. I'll take a look tomorrow :) .

:::edit:::

How expected a nice freshup. The lighting seems to be more natural now and the grass spends more live but it's still the good old "echo". Only one detail: there is a fold cube with grass on it, near the pipe with withered water and moos. The triangle there looks a bit strange for me. Maybe a second blendmap or just a remove could enhance this ? However it's not very important and just my impression.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 12 Nov 2012, 18:38

Thanks raiden for feedback. I wasn't sure about the grass at the pipe, but it does look better without it.

v1.2

*texture and geometry changes/improvements
*added water
Attachments
echo1.2.zip
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 389 times
screenshot.0190.png
screenshot.0189.png
screenshot.0188.png
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby qreeves » 13 Nov 2012, 02:50

Grass colour should more closely match the texture beneath it, and possibly be a bit shorter. Not sure I completely agree with the texture changes, it now looks like a mixture of two or three different themes.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 13 Nov 2012, 03:34

Thanks for feedback. In my opinion, the only different looking texture is texture of paves. (maybe has too much of gloss) The texture before was badly blurred, because of its resolution and I didn't find any other similar looking with better one, so I had to choose some and decided for this. Then I changed a color, so it has similar tint and added gloss. About grass. I like this dry grass the most. If I use a green one or something between, then it looks too newly, because style of grass is just uniform, simple. If it would be a mapmodel, then the grass could look more random for sure. So it doesn't look much natural. When I tried to use some more fitting surface under it, the grass didn't want to work on it. Seems that grass works only for a few textures. So I tried to adjust it by changing color of surface to yellow and this is the best I got from it. If there is a way how to make working grass on different textures, then it should be somewhere explained. I worked with accessible options. If it will be comprehended bad, then it's not that difficult to change the pavement texture back and remove the grass, altought after that it will get a look, like that something is missing there, at least that's how I see it.

If you see a mixture of three themes, then could you tell me where exactly it is being mixed? Explain, please. I really didn't change many of textures, same for geometry. Why it looks different is I think, because I have added lights at bases and on the side, since they were missing. There were lamps, but no light entities under it, you can check it. The similar case was also on the buildings in the middle. So I don't see what I did wrong if I mostly just corrected kinda lame polishing.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby Monita » 13 Nov 2012, 05:01

I really really liked a lot the new echo, the grass is much better than before, is more realistic, before it looked like Green painted floor.
The place where the rocket spawns will also look much better, it has more details.

the last picture (the sewer), now has water and looks much better, before it seemed just a wall with a gate, it do looks like a sewer now.

Good job :)
Monita

Postby Ulukai » 13 Nov 2012, 09:52

The grass is not looking too bad imo, although I agree it is at the long side. I understand why Quin says it looks like a mixture of styles, probably because you only changed a couple of textures and I think too they don't fit the theme that much. It is more a panel than a tile that you're using, which looks kinda out of place here.

Echo is a popular map that has grown to people, they kinda love it as it is and that's why they want to play it. My suggestion would be to do a more complete makeover with more different textures, maybe some color changes, a little improved geometry and some details here and there to finish it off. More like what happened to keystone, although it doesn't have to be that spectacular or detailed, but try to think out of the box to make it a new experience to players.
Ulukai

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 14 Nov 2012, 00:05

I am glad that you like it, Monita. And welcome on forums. :)

Ulukai, I know that Echo is popular. And that is another reason why this map shouldn't be changed too much in my opinion, don't you think? I didn't make a remake of Echo, but an update. And since you mentioned the Keystone.. I belong to that sort of people who liked the original keystone more. There was better gameplay, no areas to fall and even the texturing was pleasanter, lighter. But the new one is also interesting, but I would call it rather a remake. And no way I will do something like that with Echo. The theme is clear. I have already added some details, but just for better look, not to make it look very different. This was my intention.

S.E.S., if you read this, don't you have a similar looking tile texture as the original one, but just with a better resolution? Could be used as replacement, althought the currect I used I don't find as a "mixing of themes". It has just too steely look (could be descresed gloss eventually), and it's not the only metal thing on the map.

To me the map (theme) says: There was some zone close to a city (we can hear sounds of traffic and see panel houses) surrounded by walls and rebuilded (concrete beside bricks, glass doors) that is being a part of a serving out factory. The area inside stopped being used (we can see a few missing tiles). The zone was being used for outlet, but now it's just aging (added dry grass → the grass got dry due to absence of water {added just a bit of dirty water to signalize that there is still some, that's why some parts of the area below are still green} and climatical conditions → stronger red tint of sunlight entity for warmer look, fits more to skybox as well). Althought this place is not being used anymore, there still runs some electricity. (lamps, added smoke particles at bad working air conditioner {or whatever it is} to simulate overheating).
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby wowie » 14 Nov 2012, 00:58

I don't feel that the theme actually changed. Yes, the tiles are a bit different, but personally, I like it.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby S.E.S » 14 Nov 2012, 07:14

To D.A.M.I.E.N.:

There is something similar to the metal. Look in the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3502

See the archives in the topic. We spread the additions are not relevant to the map.

In addition, in the process of refining:

Screenshots:
20121114085407.png

20121114085139.png

The old version of one of them is used in:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3680

If you describe everything in detail, how do you imagine the texture you want, I could try to make it.
What should it be? Metal, stone, something else? A combination? And other details ...

As for the map:

As already mentioned here, the grass looks unnatural - it is a clear geometry.

The same unnatural for buildings in the background.

But in general, I am pleased that you have decided to finalize an "echo". In general, the changes in the "echo" liked.

Of personal preference - I would add the smoke from the pipes (or maybe a fire?).
S.E.S

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 14 Nov 2012, 23:17

S.E.S {l Wrote}:There is something similar to the metal. Look in the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3502

You understood me probably wrong. I am not looking for another metal texture, but as I mentioned "similar as the original one", which was there before I have added the metal one (you can find in the folder "trak4"). The texture has resolution 512 X 512 px, and there is 16 tiles. So resolution 1024 and I guess just 9 different tiles could replace it well.

S.E.S {l Wrote}:But in general, I am pleased that you have decided to finalize an "echo". In general, the changes in the "echo" liked.

Of personal preference - I would add the smoke from the pipes (or maybe a fire?).

Thanks. You mean the two smoke-stacks, right? I'm not so sure if this fits, since the area seems rather abandoned.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby S.E.S » 15 Nov 2012, 08:28

To D.A.M.I.E.N. :

Did you mean "data/trak/trak4/tile1", which is not in your version of the map - only it's the only fit your description?
If so, then I have a texture similar- see in "texturesetupdate2.zip": "data/ses/surfaces/wall2_<variation number>".
You can use them without "specularity":
20121115101504.png

However, they have a higher content of the tiles. If necessary, I can make a more detailed version. But I would like to note that the option of 9 tiles (3x3) is not too suitable for "scale" operations, perhaps 2x2?

I would like to note that the texture with size 1024x1024 might appear slightly incorrect in game - I do not know whether it is errors, or is it a problem of external libraries or video cards.
S.E.S

Postby qreeves » 16 Nov 2012, 03:37

Most likely the video card, there is a maximum texture size in most cases (or maximum sane texture size), and in some cases must be a power of 2.
qreeves

Postby ballist1c » 19 Nov 2012, 09:19

Echo's textures got screwed up after I incorrectly compiled SVN, and it seems like people like damien's idea of sticking with the original theme. I will download damien's next and work off of that now.

For now though here is a screenshot of a little retro map I am working on:

screenshot.0012.png
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby ballist1c » 20 Nov 2012, 04:10

Also, John here is another incredibly helpful tutorial on how to texture correctly:

http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-texturing/
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 28 Nov 2012, 16:35

Ok, hi, I have changed the tile texture by the new texture from SES. Thanks you made this. Also I changed grass color to keep the grass surface texture, changed visibility of grass (doesn't disappear from afar) and density, so it looks more natural hopefully. I've provided just these screenshots, because I'm not sure about the license by SES. You specify there a file for instance: example.cfg, but well, it should be "package.cfg" I suppose. So rather provide a clearer license file. Some simplified version like most works on this forum? Or what do you think, arand, is it correct?
Attachments
screenshot.0217.png
screenshot.0216.png
screenshot.0215.png
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby raiden » 28 Nov 2012, 20:58

Nice pics D.a.m.i.e.n., I follow the echo :).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Dratz-_C » 28 Nov 2012, 22:49

Hi Damien,
Make some smoke particles coming out of the smoke stacks or do not because it is supposed to be in disrepair? I mean there are lights that are on, right?
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 28 Nov 2012, 23:07

Hello,
Raiden, thanks for following the echoo. Dratz, I described the theme on 10 posts back. Shortly, the area is abandoned,
but there still runs the electricity. Smoke particles from smoke-stacts would make it in use, which doesn't fit. I tried it.
So I don't plan on to change the map any more, now I just need to be sure about the license to release it.
And thank you for the feedback.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby S.E.S » 29 Nov 2012, 07:08

D.A.M.I.E.N. {l Wrote}:Ok, hi, I have changed the tile texture by the new texture from SES. Thanks you made this. Also I changed grass color to keep the grass surface texture, changed visibility of grass (doesn't disappear from afar) and density, so it looks more natural hopefully. I've provided just these screenshots, because I'm not sure about the license by SES. You specify there a file for instance: example.cfg, but well, it should be "package.cfg" I suppose. So rather provide a clearer license file. Some simplified version like most works on this forum? Or what do you think, arand, is it correct?

The text from the file "ReadMe.txt" is not necessarily entirely add to mean license textures. He is more explanatory. I think that you can use a short form. Separate text file for the texture too is optional. You can just use a string like "Textures by S.E.S (License: CC-BY-SA-3.0)" or something like mentioning the author's name and the copyright notice. If you want you can also add a link to the full text of the license "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/".
If your map is under the same license, you can simply specify the authorship of components, by announcing the license for all the archive content. Similar option, by the way, is used for the content (textures, models, etc ) in the "RE".
File "example.cfg" this is an "example." He is completely optional.I specifically not called it "package.cfg" because it may contain comments.
You can use textures in other configurations as your wanted.For example, you can use just "stdworld" or "bumpworld" for textures that are far away (for example, some elements of the background environment - pipes and buildings - for map "echo") for increase fps.
As for the map: can be added to the tubes red navigation lights? (maybe, with "pulseglow" or similar lightfx?)
S.E.S

Postby Ulukai » 01 Dec 2012, 16:16

I like the new pics of the improved version of Echo. Much better than the previous modifications and an improvement over the original imo.
Ulukai