RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: Mapping

Postby Ulukai » 31 Jan 2012, 10:42

Pushers: what does the type value mean?
Jumppad mapmodel: palindex, palette and colour are values to change the color, but what does each seperate value do exactly?

Is there another way than experimenting to get information of what each different value do? Can I extract some information from a file or so? I'm just wondering because there are so many things that you can do, but it's hard to get information on everything. I understand that they can't all be described in full detail on the wiki, but maybe I'm just missing something?

Thank you!
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 31 Jan 2012, 20:20

Pushers:
0 (conditional) will only apply a force if the velocity on each axis to which it is applying it to is below the amount threshold.
1 (additional) will add the force to the current velocity.
2 (redirectional) will take the current velocity and redirect it into the pusher direction and apply the force.
3 (absolute) will simply replace the current velocity with the pusher direction and force.

Mapmodels:
palette is the colour type (0 = misc colours, 1 = team colours)
palindex is the subset of each palette ->
palette 0 = (0 = off, 1/2/3 = random pulse colours [fire/etc], 4/5/6 = linearly interpolated pulse colours)
palette 1 = (0/1/2/3/4/5 = team colours neutral/alpha/omega/kappa/sigma/enemy (only in team games), 6/7/8/9/10/11 = forced team colour)
colour is a specific colour you want to apply to the model (24 bit colour value, eg. 0xRRGGBB in hex)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 01 Feb 2012, 15:04

Thank you, now I can really start playing with them to see what suits me best =)

So where did you get all this information from or do you just know all this by heart? Or you have your own reference?
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 01 Feb 2012, 19:28

I actually dug around through the source code, it was fairly easy because I knew what I was looking for (since I wrote it all).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 02 Feb 2012, 10:29

qreeves {l Wrote}:I actually dug around through the source code, it was fairly easy because I knew what I was looking for (since I wrote it all).

That does make it easy :) I got the jumppads to behave like i wanted now, thanks a ton. They play a sound and light up when activated.

Now all I need is playerstarts and some sounds and the map is done. I was adding sounds yesterday, but I heard them through some ceilings when I was walking over them and it kills the atmosphere. I played around with the volume and maxrad values, but couldn't get it right. When I set a radius, the sound starts and stops so suddenly when entering the radius, is that normal or did I do something wrong? Otherwise this would solve my problem.

And is it possible to view the playerstarts witht he playermodel again, as in v1.1? It is easier to see where they are facing.
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 13 Feb 2012, 00:52

I just happened to come across 2 mapping tutorials for Red Eclipse. Very good for beginners and featuring the new editing menu of v1.2. For those interested in starting to map or want to see the power of the cube 2 engine it's worth a look. It's very well explained and will help you getting started with the basics.

Lesson 1:

youtu.be/V2I5BwhBMe8

Lesson 2:

youtu.be/LHjcgki37f4
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 17 Feb 2012, 14:11

Editing tutorial 3 is out ;)

youtu.be/aqpF8Qh3hxo

EDIT by Quin: They added the new youtube tag to the forums for this very reason at my request, enjoy! :)
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 29 Jun 2012, 19:45

I just started working on a new map, it will be called "canals" and will be a quite large map. A teaser screenshot attached below, it is pre-alpha and only a very small part of what the map will become. This part will become the main route to the red base, hence the many red textures. There is still a lot of geometry missing but this screenie should set the tone already :)
canals.jpeg

UPDATE: some more progress :)
screenshot.0002.png
Last edited by Ulukai on 02 Jul 2012, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ulukai

Postby 4rson » 29 Jun 2012, 20:20

The styling looks pretty interesting so far.
4rson

Postby Dratz-_C » 30 Jun 2012, 02:04

Ulukai,
I like the tone of your segment of "canals." I don't know the depth of your plans but have you considered making this a 4-way multi map? We don't really have many large multi maps.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby fawstoar » 30 Jun 2012, 04:19

Reminds me a little of that sewer level in Mirror's Edge, albeit darker and more grey.
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby Ulukai » 30 Jun 2012, 09:47

Never played Mirror's Edge, but I take that as a compliment ;)
Yes, I plan to make this a 4-way multi map. It will take quite some time before it will be finished however. Unfortunately I have very little spare time right now.
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 06 Jul 2012, 16:26

Making good progress on the red base. Still need to do all the lighting and the basement, but you get the idea...
screenshot.0003.png

screenshot.0004.png
Ulukai

Postby AxE » 08 Jul 2012, 17:58

If I wanted to make a trigger that will send you to a map its on_trigger_# [ (type) (mapname) ]
My question is: how can I add mutators to that command?
for example if I wanted to play a deathmatch with teamplay or maybe medieval?
AxE

Postby qreeves » 09 Jul 2012, 01:06

AxE {l Wrote}:If I wanted to make a trigger that will send you to a map its on_trigger_# [ (type) (mapname) ]
My question is: how can I add mutators to that command?
for example if I wanted to play a deathmatch with teamplay or maybe medieval?

See the top of "data/defaults.cfg" for starting mode/mutators with a map.
qreeves

Postby AxE » 12 Jul 2012, 19:48

I need help (again) when making maps I sometimes get a strange bug with the texture menu:
I start adding textures then randomly the 14 tabs (tabs where you choose to view the set of textures) are now 28 (or more) tabs, the tabs duplicate themselves making the menu smaller and smaller until it is impossible to work with it. I don't know why it is happening but it can get very frustrating.

I have noticed that the map cfg file is getting bigger the more the tabs duplicate. I tried deleting the map's cfg and replacing it with a normal one but it doesn't help at all.
AxE

Postby Ulukai » 12 Jul 2012, 21:40

The more textures you modify (color, size, shader, offset, ...) the more tabs you get because they all have a seperate value in the CFG file. If you have selected all the textures you want to use in the map, you can make use of the command "/texturecull" to delete all the unused textures out of the CFG file. But this will make it hard to select new textures that you haven't used in your map yet with F2. You can always try it without saving your work, so no harm done ;)

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/r ... :texturing
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 23 Jul 2012, 02:23

Red and blue bases of my upcoming map are done, together with the ways connecting them. Now I'm working on the yellow and green bases, I hope you guys enjoy multi team games ;)
screenshot.0006.png

screenshot.0004.png
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 31 Jul 2012, 01:12

Spent some more hours of tweaking and working on my map. 95% of the geometry and texturing is done now, these screenshots should give you a basic overview of the map. Note that under the central area of the map there is water connecting all the bases to provide more than 1 way to reach each base.

Up next is lighting (there is only 1 sun entity now, still need lots of additional lights) and ambient sounds.
screenshot.0007.png

screenshot.0002.png

screenshot.0004.png

screenshot.0005.png

screenshot.0006.png
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 31 Jul 2012, 01:27

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Spent some more hours of tweaking and working on my map. 95% of the geometry and texturing is done now, these screenshots should give you a basic overview of the map. Note that under the central area of the map there is water connecting all the bases to provide more than 1 way to reach each base.

Not so sure about the "bath" tiles. I'm starting to think we're generating a heavy reliance on them now, lol.
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 31 Jul 2012, 08:02

qreeves {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:Spent some more hours of tweaking and working on my map. 95% of the geometry and texturing is done now, these screenshots should give you a basic overview of the map. Note that under the central area of the map there is water connecting all the bases to provide more than 1 way to reach each base.

Not so sure about the "bath" tiles. I'm starting to think we're generating a heavy reliance on them now, lol.

Do you mean like in the 2 upper screenshots, the white combined with red and blue? It actually is a white concrete texture, with red and blue colored accents, but not really a tile texture. It is a bit resemblant but if you'd have a chance to walk around in the map it shouldn't remind you too much of the map bath ;)

Or do you mean the grey tiles of the central building with the tower?

Anyway, once v1.0 is released you can give it a shot and if you still think it needs a change, I'm all ears :)
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 01 Aug 2012, 17:21

Hey Ulukai, your actual project looks very promising, I like it very much, especialy the fact that the map seems to be very easy accessable. Surely this one will be great. Good luck for your latest baby ;).
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Ulukai » 01 Aug 2012, 20:18

raiden {l Wrote}:Hey Ulukai, your actual project looks very promising, I like it very much, especialy the fact that the map seems to be very easy accessable. Surely this one will be great. Good luck for your latest baby ;).

Thank you raiden! Yes, this one is my largest project so far. A real time-burner, but it's too much fun to not do it ;) I like the idea of 4 bases with some common grounds to battle it out. The large open area combined with some space to hide and alternative routes should keep it interesting. The distance between the bases make for an exciting challenge to run with the flags or score points with bomber ball. Can't wait to post a first version here, but I'm a nitpicker so I want it to be good before doing so.
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 02 Aug 2012, 10:18

Yeah right, I think I understand your situation a bit ;) .
To explain my "easy accessable": some of the otherwise really nice maps for RE (I mean custom ones above all), bother me with uneccessary obstacles and hinder me as a player to get ahead. So I like it a bit more open.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Ulukai » 02 Aug 2012, 11:46

Yeah I hear you, but of course there should be some kind of cover here and there to reload, regenerate health and defend the base. I always try to find a nice balance in various ways.
The lighting is coming along nicely, I'm very pleased. Tonight I'll find some time to work a bit more on it.
Ulukai