RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby qreeves » 09 Jul 2013, 23:58

The screenie gave us pretty much zero information, you're looking at walls in a dark room :-P
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Jamestonjes » 14 Jul 2013, 11:52

After sniper told me that i must use /worldalias on_trigger_12 [command] i decided to expiriment and came up with a trigger to toggle zero g
but because it wont reset when you spawn every spawn so trigger 2 can be used there
or you could ahave a space ship also with trigger 2 at spawns but instead of trigger 1 use trigger 2 and 3 at exits/entrances to toggle gravity
/worldalias on_trigger_1 [if (= $gravity 50) [gravity 0] [gravity 50]]
/worldalias on_trigger_2 [gravity 50]
/worldalias on_trigger_3 [gravity 0]
for those who already know this sorry for wasting your time

edit: it only affects the player who acttivates the trigger, so they dont need privaleges
Last edited by Jamestonjes on 21 Jul 2013, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby quintux_v » 15 Jul 2013, 02:25

Question:

Do most mappers here just go ahead and map as they feel, or do they sometimes use a concept sketch or plan ahead of time what they want? At the moment, I have a concept right now, but I'm not sure where to start moving ahead with the mapping part of it. Any recommendations?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby John_III » 15 Jul 2013, 04:05

I've done both methods. Isolation originated in the form of a sketch, while Live Fire began right off the bat in the editor. If I'm basing a map on a sketch, I'll usually block in some basic forms with large cubes at first just to get a sense of scale.
John_III

Postby Ulukai » 15 Jul 2013, 08:21

I'm very bad at sketching and drawing, but I try to form the idea in my mind before starting. Sometimes it turns out better than expected, sometimes it doesn't look like anything I had in mind and just start improvising from that pojnt... :)
Ulukai

Postby Jamestonjes » 15 Jul 2013, 14:17

Because im at hostel most weeks, i scribble out plans quite a bit here so that i absolutely cant forget them, but it never goes as planned,I always go back and change things, even at the last minute (i almost made my current map 2d) XD but sadly i distract my self with an abbundance of tests and other maps so ive never finnished one

basicaly if i could though id go straight to the mapping and improve on it with time after an idea or just go with the flow

edit: also when im at hostel i use minecraft PE demo for basic designs :P
Jamestonjes

Postby Unnamed » 15 Jul 2013, 19:39

I'm creating a underwater map now. Don't worry, you don't have to swimm much.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Jamestonjes » 15 Jul 2013, 19:57

Looks good as usual ;)
Jamestonjes

Postby quintux_v » 19 Jul 2013, 01:27

John_III {l Wrote}: If I'm basing a map on a sketch, I'll usually block in some basic forms with large cubes at first just to get a sense of scale.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:but I try to form the idea in my mind before starting.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:just start improvising from that pojnt... :)

Thanks for the tips, guys, I'll keep them in mind.

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I'm creating a underwater map now.

Cool.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Unnamed » 19 Jul 2013, 16:21

Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:After sniper told me that i must use /worldalias on_trigger_12 [command] i decided to expiriment and came up with a trigger to toggle zero g
but because it wont reset when you spawn every spawn so trigger 2 can be used there
or you could ahave a space ship also with trigger 2 at spawns but instead of trigger 1 use trigger 2 and 3 at exits/entrances to toggle gravity
/worldalias on_trigger_1 [if (= $gravity 50) [gravity 0] [gravity 50]]
/worldalias on_trigger_2 [gravity 50]
/worldalias on_trigger_3 [gravity 0]
for those who already know this sorry for wasting your time

edit: it only affects the player who acttivates the trigger, so they dont need privaleges

There ars some problems:
It doesn't affect other players, but all bots if you play offline. If the gravity is changed for a player, it's also changed for the grenades/mines he dropped.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 20 Jul 2013, 09:15

Unnamed {l Wrote}:There ars some problems:
It doesn't affect other players, but all bots if you play offline. If the gravity is changed for a player, it's also changed for the grenades/mines he dropped.

Yes, do not rely on this client-only type of functionality, as it will influence all bots you are hosting as well (see my related comment on "Vacuum").
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 23 Jul 2013, 17:01

I took only the bridge from an unfinished map wich would be way too large and added two buildings at the ends and a platform with stairs in the middle where you can get to the buildings by pushers.
Attachments
screenshot.0058.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 24 Jul 2013, 08:20

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I took only the bridge from an unfinished map wich would be way too large and added two buildings at the ends and a platform with stairs in the middle where you can get to the buildings by pushers.

Looks interesting, although very colourful...
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 24 Jul 2013, 23:18

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Looks interesting, although very colourful...

Yeah, I would suggest not using those "bath" tiles.
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 26 Jul 2013, 15:57

I tried to create some textures. This is what I have.
Any suggestions?
Attachments
screenshot.0067.jpg
btw this is not going to be a map
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 26 Jul 2013, 16:27

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I tried to create some textures. This is what I have.
Any suggestions?

The round textures with the colored lights look great imo! I can see potential in those. The RE-ified tiles look rather cheap though ;-)
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 03 Aug 2013, 00:19

I tried to make some textures today.
Does it looks good?
Attachments
20130802153751.jpg
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Unnamed » 03 Aug 2013, 09:57

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I tried to make some textures today.
Does it looks good?

The red texture on the wall looks good, but the tiles on the ground look strange.
The texture on the ceiling looks too clean. I have the same problem with my textures. Look at the trak and philipk textures. They have very detailed dirt, scratches, peeled off paint and such things.

edit: On the screenshot you can also see my progress. I created some panels in the same style and other tiles.
Attachments
screenshot.0115.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Sniper-Goth » 04 Aug 2013, 19:34

I designed today a sun skybox.
Could this be useful for the game?
Attachments
20130804143104.jpg
As seen if used as a cloudlayer
20130804152146.jpg
the skybox itself (not very good angle i know :p )
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 04 Aug 2013, 20:24

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I designed today a sun skybox.
Could this be useful for the game?

What is the resolution of the skybox images? They look quite nice but it looks a bit low-res, I can't determine whether it is due to resolution or jpg conversion.
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 04 Aug 2013, 20:25

Unnamed {l Wrote}:
Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I tried to make some textures today.
Does it looks good?

The red texture on the wall looks good, but the tiles on the ground look strange.
The texture on the ceiling looks too clean. I have the same problem with my textures. Look at the trak and philipk textures. They have very detailed dirt, scratches, peeled off paint and such things.

edit: On the screenshot you can also see my progress. I created some panels in the same style and other tiles.

I like most of the images I see here, they would be nice to give some colored touches in maps to spice them up a bit. I love those tiny coloured details that give that little extra atmosphere to a map...
The tiles in front with the blue edges look strange to me though...
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 04 Aug 2013, 20:35

Ulukai {l Wrote}:What is the resolution of the skybox images? They look quite nice but it looks a bit low-res, I can't determine whether it is due to resolution or jpg conversion.

It is 512x512, PNG.
Its my first time trying to make an skybox. So im testing things around, but i think it combines with Longestyard.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 04 Aug 2013, 22:11

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:
Ulukai {l Wrote}:What is the resolution of the skybox images? They look quite nice but it looks a bit low-res, I can't determine whether it is due to resolution or jpg conversion.

It is 512x512, PNG.
Its my first time trying to make an skybox. So im testing things around, but i think it combines with Longestyard.

If possible you really should try a 1024x1024 resolution when using images like that planet in it. It becomes too pixelated in smaller resolutions.
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 04 Aug 2013, 22:59

Ulukai {l Wrote}:If possible you really should try a 1024x1024 resolution when using images like that planet in it. It becomes too pixelated in smaller resolutions.

Remaked it and it's now in 1024x1024, and a bit more red.
Looks better this way?
Attachments
20130804184424.jpg
Sniper-Goth

Postby Dratz-_C » 05 Aug 2013, 00:10

Sniper-Goth
Your image is starting to look sharper in its higher resolution, which is good. This is meant not to belittle your work, only to help. Here's my take on a sun.
Sniper-Goth-_Dratz-_C_Sun_Interpretation.jpg
When interested in inspecting or using some of it you can have my CC BY-SA 3.0 1024x1024 GIMP project file. The CC BY-SA 2.0 base image I use is here.
Cheers
Dratz-_C