RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby Dratz-_C » 02 Sep 2013, 00:20

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:
BioHazardX {l Wrote}:[W]here can i select the mapmodels? In Sauerbraten it's easy, it's already added in the UI or just press F4. In Red Eclipse this doesn't work, I wonder what key I have to press it...

F3>ents> create mapmodel

Then click on the newly-created mapmodel entity, hold the 1 character key and slowly roll the mouse wheel away from you to visually cycle through each of the available mapmodels. In my experience this functions similarly in "Sauerbraten."

As far as I know, there is no dedicated key for creating a mapmodel in "Red Eclipse." Where this key is crucial to your editing flow, I believe you can editbind an unused key to the "newent mapmodel" console command. Placing a new line, "editbind KP_ADD [newent mapmodel]" with no quotes in your home folder's autoexec.bat file should make pressing keypad + create a new mapmodel entity.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby quintux_v » 02 Sep 2013, 04:43

vpalette: can the glow of a light be changed with vpalette? I'd like to change the trak/trak6/light1 texture (blue strip light) to be suitable for vpalette use, but I don't know how the glow lighting would need to be changed. From what I've seen, white doesn't change with vpalette, and a vpalette-modified light still glows white, correct?
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Sniper-Goth » 02 Sep 2013, 14:58

quintux_v {l Wrote}:vpalette: can the glow of a light be changed with vpalette? I'd like to change the trak/trak6/light1 texture (blue strip light) to be suitable for vpalette use, but I don't know how the glow lighting would need to be changed. From what I've seen, white doesn't change with vpalette, and a vpalette-modified light still glows white, correct?

Type /vshaderparam glowcolor <red> <green> <blue.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 02 Sep 2013, 15:05

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:
quintux_v {l Wrote}:vpalette: can the glow of a light be changed with vpalette? I'd like to change the trak/trak6/light1 texture (blue strip light) to be suitable for vpalette use, but I don't know how the glow lighting would need to be changed. From what I've seen, white doesn't change with vpalette, and a vpalette-modified light still glows white, correct?

But this doesn't get changed along with the vpalette color. I don't think glowing can be coupled to the vpalette texture color right now or maybe Quin knows some trickery to do so. Anyway, you would most probably also need to change your light entity's color with these values, which isn't possible either.
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 02 Sep 2013, 15:58

Ulukai {l Wrote}:
Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:

But this doesn't get changed along with the vpalette color. I don't think glowing can be coupled to the vpalette texture color right now or maybe Quin knows some trickery to do so. Anyway, you would most probably also need to change your light entity's color with these values, which isn't possible either.

Then change the /vcolor and /vpalette along with it :v
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Ulukai » 02 Sep 2013, 16:26

Are we talking about the same thing? I mean I don't think there is a way to make a light texture have a different glow color in team games than it has in FFA games? Just like you can't make a light entity emit white light in FFA games and blue light in team games... Unless I'm totally missing something?
Ulukai

Postby Lyberta » 02 Sep 2013, 17:14

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Are we talking about the same thing? I mean I don't think there is a way to make a light texture have a different glow color in team games than it has in FFA games? Just like you can't make a light entity emit white light in FFA games and blue light in team games... Unless I'm totally missing something?

Looks like a valid feature request. I'd say every property with color value should be able to get that color from vpallete.
Lyberta

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 03:29

Is it confirmed that vpalette does not change glow colour?
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 06:15

Quin,
It is confirmed that vpalette does not change glow colour.
vpalette_and_glow.jpg

I selected a surface and applied a texture that came with a glowmap. I used a "vcolor 0 0 0" command to make the base texture black. I used the "vdelta vshaderparam glowcolor .5 .5 .5" command to make the white glow a mid gray luminance in order to show any potential changes in vpalette. I then vpaletted the surface 5 times with 5 very different palindexes in the weapons optional palette such as "vpalette 2 2," "vpalatte 2 5," "vpalette 2 8," "vpalette 2 10" and "vpalette 2 11." The hue of the glowmap always stayed the same as in the picture.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 03 Sep 2013, 17:29

I found the problem, you need to set the palette when you use [v]shaderparam: (const char *name, float *x, float *y, float *z, float *w, int *palette, int *palindex) eg. /vshaderparam glowcolor 0.5 0.5 0.5 0 2 11
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 03 Sep 2013, 18:01

qreeves {l Wrote}:I found the problem, you need to set the palette when you use [v]shaderparam: (const char *name, float *x, float *y, float *z, float *w, int *palette, int *palindex) eg. /vshaderparam glowcolor 0.5 0.5 0.5 0 2 11

Thanks!
It didn't worked when I tried to do this in-game, but worked when I wrote this into the .cfg file.
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 03 Sep 2013, 20:57

Awesome. I hadn't thought to format the command as you have described it. I will try to use this information soon. Thank you Quin.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Unnamed » 04 Sep 2013, 21:05

Since there are not many mapmodels I also tried to make one.
Here's a barrel or something like this with glow.

edit: Now I tried something more complex. I also made a rotating version.
How many vertices should mapmodels have?
Attachments
screenshot.0198.jpg
screenshot.0189.jpg
Unnamed

Postby Dratz-_C » 05 Sep 2013, 23:06

Hi Quin,
[r5760 FIXED THIS. Thank you Quin.] The 4 weapon palindexes, "2 0," "2 1," 2 11" and "2 12," have changed in matchplay from dark- and mid- grays to a saturated green. In my map, "Quaternion," I am using weapon-enforced, dark-gray palette "2 11" to effectively delta-shade arches containing differently-coloured component textures. In the beginning, a few days ago, this approach displayed perfectly in matchplay. Now, conversely, in matchplay they have all changed from their original dark-gray to a new, saturated green.

In the editor, the 4 palindexes are their original dark- and light- grays.
vpalettes_2_0-_2_1-_2_11-_2_12_editor.jpg

However, when seen in a multi-classic deathmatch, they are now green.
vpalettes_2_0-_2_1-_2_11-_2_12_multi-classic_deathmatch.jpg

Do you have a hunch on how to fix these palattes, "2 0," 2 1," "2 11" and "2 12"? Here is the map I am using to evaluate the anomaly for the contingency that you would like to use it. Directions for it are in my original post, containing it.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby quintux_v » 09 Sep 2013, 01:54

qreeves {l Wrote}:I found the problem, you need to set the palette when you use [v]shaderparam: (const char *name, float *x, float *y, float *z, float *w, int *palette, int *palindex) eg. /vshaderparam glowcolor 0.5 0.5 0.5 0 2 11

Thanks. Would I be executing this command for all 4 team colors then?

Also, I'll check the modified texture to see if this works.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Dratz-_C » 09 Sep 2013, 02:33

Quintux_v,
Now, when you assign a palette and palindex to a texture, the glowmap inherits this palette and palindex unless you define the palette and palindex using the vshaderparam method your are now considering. The source for this information is ticket #5754.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Jamestonjes » 09 Sep 2013, 18:42

Quin about the idea I mentioned on irc about the team dependant death triggers, might already beable to work as i always tested "worldalias on_trigger_1 [If (= $team 1) [] [kill]]" when i probably should have done [if (= $getteam 1) [] [kill]] the other problem with this idea is that bots dont seem to like scripted triggers, I dont know how to make a script activate an entity and its not possible to make a trigger do both link and script (as far as i know)

Also is it possible to have some kind of var that can be (possibly silently) set on all clients which can only be edited through world aliases on triggers (to prevent cheating) without any privaleges needed to be used in if statements

The main reason i had this suggestion was for gauntlet mode as a deactivatable base defense mechanism but the only problem is itvwont affect bots :( but thats not a big problem as red eclipse is better with humans ;)

This leads me upto my last suggestion... Gauntlet-infiltration a mutator for gauntlet that adds checkpoints to gauntle making it more like assault from UT, if you do decide to bring league mode back these could make an interesting combo ;)

Sorry for troubling you and probably putting this in the wrong place
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby Sniper-Goth » 10 Sep 2013, 02:05

I took the liberty to do a little retexturing in Processing using my textures, for testing purposes.
Attachments
20130909214846.jpg
20130909214924.jpg
Sniper-Goth

Postby Dratz-_C » 10 Sep 2013, 02:40

Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:This leads me upto my last suggestion... Gauntlet-infiltration a mutator for gauntlet that adds checkpoints to gauntle making it more like assault from UT, if you do decide to bring league mode back these could make an interesting combo ;)
Perhaps this might be something like chained, defend-and-control gauntlet, which could be another way of doing this. You start on the offending team, get your control checkpoints on the way to your goal, having to hold them by preventing the defending team from taking your spearheaded control checkpoint. Should the defending team take this control checkpoint, they could then try to overcome the next closest control checkpoint on the way back to the offending team's spawn, making it harder for the offending team to spawn closer to the goal. The question of whether to allow the defending team to spawn at the contra-spearheaded control checkpoint they just took would be a matter of preference. This whole thing seems like a good idea. It is just that it doesn't fit "Red Eclipse" enough like a glove to be realized without too much work, in my opinion, although I would love to be proven wrong.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 10 Sep 2013, 03:54

Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:Quin about the idea I mentioned ..

I'd be more likely to create a new material volume "team, team2, team3, team4" (rather much like the multiple water materials), and maybe a new trigger type. I do not recommend setting variables as a way to accomplish anything dynamically, they are not intended for that purpose.
qreeves

Postby Jamestonjes » 10 Sep 2013, 06:25

Ok the only reason i wanted to do it with a variable is to use it for if statements in an objectives gui, If you do make a new trigger type can you also make it be able to act as a link and material "destroyer" at the same time so it can disable particles or enable them at will, and also beable to affect only onslaught enemys

BTW Dratz I like your idea
In game name: MaxPayne >DOOM<
maps: Nameless,Pillars of Doom(incomplete)
Jamestonjes

Postby Unnamed » 10 Sep 2013, 09:33

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I took the liberty to do a little retexturing in Processing using my textures, for testing purposes.

It's too colorfull.

qreeves {l Wrote}:
Jamestonjes {l Wrote}:Quin about the idea I mentioned ..

I'd be more likely to create a new material volume "team, team2, team3, team4" (rather much like the multiple water materials), and maybe a new trigger type. I do not recommend setting variables as a way to accomplish anything dynamically, they are not intended for that purpose.

Why don't add a new variable "team" to triggers wich works like flags. 0 means everyone can acitvate the trigger (no change), 1 means only the alpha team can activate the trigger, -3 means everyone not in team alpha and not in team omega can activate the trigger, ...
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 10 Sep 2013, 09:43

Sniper-Goth {l Wrote}:I took the liberty to do a little retexturing in Processing using my textures, for testing purposes.

I have to agree with Unnamed. Too colorful and a mish mash of different styles... Processing is probably not the best map to show off your textures. Especially the wallpaper is really out of place.
Ulukai

Postby Sniper-Goth » 10 Sep 2013, 15:01

I like colorful things :D, but they work better in Destiny though.
Sniper-Goth

Postby Sniper-Goth » 11 Sep 2013, 02:04

[Double Post Incoming] How about these oriental japanese house style textures i made today?
Attachments
20130910215024.jpg
Sniper-Goth