RESOURCE: Mapping

Re: RESOURCE: Mapping

Postby ballist1c » 07 Aug 2012, 00:34

Hi, I'm just putting out a request to have an amazing mapmaker remake the famous Campgrounds map from Quake :D
That would be AWESOME! And it would fit RE really well.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby greaserpirate » 07 Aug 2012, 01:34

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Hi, I'm just putting out a request to have an amazing mapmaker remake the famous Campgrounds map from Quake :D
That would be AWESOME! And it would fit RE really well.

I think somebody did in an earlier version. I have a map called "bloodgrounds.mpz" from 0.9 (or some other number). What happened to it? It was a great map, and I think it should be included.

I agree, Campgrounds is an awesome map, and if we can't get that version, it would be great if someone were to recreate it.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby qreeves » 07 Aug 2012, 04:29

It was removed due to poor visual quality in comparison to the other maps. Due to the increasing quality of the new maps in the repository I think it might be time for another cull..
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 07 Aug 2012, 07:34

What was the latest version included in the game? Maybe we could refresh the look of the map and add some details if necessary? Or ask the original mapper if he feels like improving it a little?
I found this on quadropolis: http://quadropolis.us/node/1965
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 07 Aug 2012, 07:39

Wicked is the original map creator author, he has no issues if someone wants to remix his maps but he won't be doing it himself.

[UPDATE] Last version of the map was here:
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TristamK » 07 Aug 2012, 10:47

I think "bloodgrounds" isn't bad map , but it's a bad remake a "campgrounds" because have a very different look , look more mmmm ....square or cubic and have a some tiny places. I think remake must have more place for move and must have more "spheric" look like original map .
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby Ulukai » 07 Aug 2012, 12:20

When my current map will be finished, I might take a look at bloodgrounds. But still have some work to do first. Lighting is completely done, 1 more shot with the lights on from inside the blue base for you guys today :)
screenshot.0002.png
Ulukai

Postby Architect » 12 Aug 2012, 04:09

i may start doing just terrains due to my lack of time to make complete maps,
if anyone is interested in generic terrains let me know
Architect

Postby riidom » 12 Aug 2012, 09:23

For all the new maps (and the older ones too ofc) - are there any static props needed?
Give a description, a reference image, and a screenshot of an example-spot where on map it should be placed.
And, please be able to deal with the .cfg and import in general yourself, since I have no experience about that - I provide the .obj and the diffuse, spec and normal texturemaps.
riidom

Postby fawstoar » 15 Sep 2012, 21:12

qreeves {l Wrote}:It was removed due to poor visual quality in comparison to the other maps. Due to the increasing quality of the new maps in the repository I think it might be time for another cull..

ON THAT NOTE:

Someone remake Echo. Seriously, that map is ridiculously ugly.
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby 4rson » 16 Sep 2012, 18:46

A remake of echo would be nice since it is still very popular despite the rather basic texturing. It is somewhat offensive to the eyes given what the cube2 engine is capable of producing.
4rson

Postby Karoushi » 16 Sep 2012, 21:37

delete
Last edited by Karoushi on 18 Sep 2012, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Karoushi

Postby ballist1c » 16 Sep 2012, 21:37

Karoushi {l Wrote}:
4rson {l Wrote}:A remake of echo would be nice since it is still very popular despite the rather basic texturing. It is somewhat offensive to the eyes given what the cube2 engine is capable of producing.

I will remake Echo.

Already started :)

ballist1c

Postby arand » 28 Sep 2012, 15:04

EDIT: Fixed scroll version to not disable property setting, RaZgRiZ pointed out an alternative version using the arrow keys:
(add to autoexec.cfg, overrides defaults)
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
editbind up    [vdelta [voffset  0  8]]
editbind down  [vdelta [voffset  0 -8]]
editbind left  [vdelta [voffset -8  0]]
editbind right [vdelta [voffset  8  0]]

Version below makes it possible to hold [shift] and the number [1] or [2], and use the mousewheel scroll to tweak texture offset for X or Y in steps of 8.

delta_edit_11   = [ if (= $modscale 10) [ vdelta voffset 0 (* $arg1 8) ] [ entproperty 0 $arg1 ] ]
delta_edit_12   = [ if (= $modscale 10) [ vdelta voffset (* $arg1 8) 0 ] [ entproperty 1 $arg1 ] ]

If you want smaller or larger steps per scroll, change the 8 values above, the voffset editing menu buttons uses 16 for example
Last edited by arand on 29 Sep 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
arand

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 28 Sep 2012, 21:36

Very useful, especially for texturing small areas.
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby TristamK » 08 Oct 2012, 17:59

I start create a new time-trial map . Here you can look on the progress . I try did everyday updates
Edit1 : ops , i forgot add link : http://imgur.com/a/WhTtN#0
Attachments
screenshot.0230.png
screenshot.0223.png
Sorry for my bad English. Sometimes i use google translator.
The official group of the Cube 2 Sauerbraten and Red Eclipse in vkontakte -> https://vk.com/cube_engine_news - VK support English too ;) . Also you can find all news about Cube 2\Red Eclipse in this group too
Topic with FULL information about Time-Trial . All maps , video , tutorials here . Also here you can see all best times on maps .
My youtube chanel
TristamK

Postby ballist1c » 09 Oct 2012, 22:16

Hi, my remake of echo will take a bit longer than expected. Reason is I started work on SVN which has different textures, and if people load it in 1.3 they will get all sorts of errors, as I got when tested. So the layout and such is complete, but I will redo textures again and should be out soon now :)

ballist1c

Postby Ulukai » 10 Oct 2012, 08:36

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Hi, my remake of echo will take a bit longer than expected. Reason is I started work on SVN which has different textures, and if people load it in 1.3 they will get all sorts of errors, as I got when tested. So the layout and such is complete, but I will redo textures again and should be out soon now :)

I was wondering what took you so long already :p I'm looking forward to see the results.
What problem did you have with textures? Because I don't recall something being different between 1.3.1 and SVN in that respect...
Ulukai

Postby raiden » 18 Oct 2012, 19:04

Probably you haven't read it already, I had a mesage on my Syndicate thread for you:

"@ Ulukai: I remember that problem about leaving the map by crossing the wallborders in the past. You where thinking about laserbarriers to stop the players, but left it then, because the particles where only shown until a specific distance. This problem can easily be solved by the command line
    /maxparticledistance #
    I found that out by reading some older map commentaries on Quadropolis, where quin gave the hint. ;)"
(That was about the map "canals".)

I publish that here, because maybe other people might have also interest to that variable.

Another thing: to have pulse glowing textures you have to signify pulseglowshaders concerning your texture in the maps config-file. Eihrul told me that in the past. But I don't exactly know how to do that. I came out without this effect until now and so didn't track this. I think the map "bath" uses this effect for example.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby Ulukai » 18 Oct 2012, 22:04

Thanks for the tips! It's always nice to learn something.
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 22 Oct 2012, 14:37

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Hi, my remake of echo will take a bit longer than expected. Reason is I started work on SVN which has different textures, and if people load it in 1.3 they will get all sorts of errors, as I got when tested. So the layout and such is complete, but I will redo textures again and should be out soon now :)

So, any progress with this? Is it in a previewscreenshot-ready shape yet? :)
Ulukai

Postby D.A.M.I.E.N. » 28 Oct 2012, 16:24

Hey. I am trying to import a decal texture that makes alpha transparent, but it doesn't work properly.
Texture format is .tga. Contains diffuse, normal and specular texture. But according to Cube 2 editing reference,
the way of importing these textures as decals is using shader decalworlds for texture slots c, d, where the type is:

"c" or 0 for primary diffuse texture (RGB)
"d" for decals (RGBA), blended into the diffuse texture if running in fixed-function mode.
To disable this combining, specify secondary textures as generic with 1 or "u"

So after my try, it ended up by working alpha transparent, but both textures has absolutely no 3D effect and no gloss, just flat and unseemly.

Maybe I don't understand well the "combining", but I don't see there possibility to use diffus, normal and specular textures together for the decals.
If anyone knows a way how to import them, I would appreciate it. I would like to use these free high-quality decals texture by Nobiax on my map
that is in advanced stadium at this moment.

youtu.be/y_XGZ3B2-3E
D.A.M.I.E.N.

Postby raiden » 30 Oct 2012, 16:42

D.A.M.I.E.N. {l Wrote}:Hey. I am trying to import a decal texture that makes alpha transparent, but it doesn't work properly.

I would help if I could. Sadly I believe I don't know more about that than you. I don't know if he uses IRC, but maybe S.E.S. has an idea about it. He is working on an additional texture-pack. So he probably knows the pitfalls and important tricks about importing.
His work here in the forums: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3502 and http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3680.
sorn
cutec
syndicate
metalhead

ingame: .uEn|r4iden
raiden

Postby S.E.S » 31 Oct 2012, 10:45

To D.A.M.I.E.N:

Could you give an example you are using a config texture?

In general, the shader decalworld there seems to be not working with "normal" and "specularity". At the very least, the documentation on this is nothing.

What did you use as a second texture?
S.E.S

Postby S.E.S » 31 Oct 2012, 11:38

My config for textures "nobiax":

setshader bumpspecmapworld
texture c "nobiax/diffuse_1.png" 0 0 0 0.125000 // 664
texture n "nobiax/normal_1.png"
texture s "nobiax/specular_1.png"

Screenshots:
screenshot.0028.png

screenshot.0029.png

This uses an older version of textures than in the video. Besides texture cut into pieces "512x512", since I had a case where the texture size "1024x1024" view distorted - what was the reason: the engine, link library, or the video card - not clarified.

Texture set exactly the same. Actually, I had the impression that the name of the pack "decals", actually a shader "decalworld" may not apply.
Of the video is not visible.

I wonder at what engine was made deme on video?
S.E.S