MOD_pistoljump_v1

MOD_pistoljump_v1

Postby ballist1c » 28 Oct 2012, 20:54

Quick little mod that turns the rarely used pistol secondary into a rocketjump action. quin threw some values at me a couple months ago for this and I have taken another look at it.

Issues:
    Works only on ground, not on walls
    Self-damage is not on because of the incredibly disorientating effect, given even when the selfdmg value is very low.

Download: Copy/paste this text into your autoexec.cfg file. If you need further help, please download the .zip file below and open FYI.txt. Thanks!
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}

///////// PistolJump Mod v1.0 ////////
/// By Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria ///

// Note: pistolselfdmg2 is not on because of too much disorientation effect. Enjoy!

pistolselfdmg2 -1
pistolcollide2 117
pistolhitpush2 45.0
pistolpusharea 2.0
pistolexplode2 2.0
pistolsub2 5

// Licensed under the CC-BY-SA //

Download all .txt files and instructions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24311617/pistoljump_mod_v1.zip

Comments questions and criticisms welcome, enjoy ^^
Last edited by ballist1c on 29 Oct 2012, 19:22, edited 2 times in total.
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Re: MOD_pistoljump_v1

Postby bonifarz » 28 Oct 2012, 22:51

That does not seem to work for me. What you describe does not match my understanding of the variables you pasted, nor does it look so when I test it in game. A simple one-liner like /pistolkickpush 150 might be what you are looking for. Well possible I did not get your idea in the first place, though.

EDIT: Whew, some more testing even triggered a segmentation fault, even though I added nonzero selfdamage to prevent this problem.
bonifarz

Postby ballist1c » 28 Oct 2012, 23:07

bonifarz {l Wrote}:That does not seem to work for me. What you describe does not match my understanding of the variables you pasted, nor does it look so when I test it in game. A simple one-liner like /pistolkickpush 150 might be what you are looking for. Well possible I did not get your idea in the first place, though.

EDIT: Whew, some more testing even triggered a segmentation fault, even though I added nonzero selfdamage to prevent this problem.

Hm? Have you played Quake, Xonotic or other games where rocketjumping is common practice?
Watch this if not:

youtu.be/Aw7xztglYyw
Kickpush also would have had a larger effect on everybody else as well if I shot them. And I did not want to affect the whole pistol with kickpush, primary and secondary ^^

No idea how you would get a segfault from this :?

ballist1c

Postby bonifarz » 28 Oct 2012, 23:40

I know what rocket jumps are, I am just not sure what effect you want to achieve...
[EDIT]
Ballistic, I think the problem I experienced was related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3457#p34788
qreeves {l Wrote}:This is indeed a bug, because pistolselfdmg1 is zero, it tries to divide by zero in the code, and doing so makes the universe end. Hotfix for now, set the 'selfdmg' vars to a non-zero number.

It does only work for me with this, but maybe you were testing things in a SVN version where the problem with a selfdamage zero divider is fixed. Also, I first thought your collision value would disable getting pushed by your own explosions, but obvisouly, I was wrong with that.

On a side note, kickpush does not affect other properties, it merely pushes you while firing, while hitpush knocks back the target or anything within the area of impact (pistolexplode2*pistolpusharea). The main difference is of course that you do not need a nearby collision event to gain extra momentum from a kickpush, so you can just fire midair.

Also, why do you state that it does not work on walls?
bonifarz

Postby ballist1c » 29 Oct 2012, 18:13

bonifarz {l Wrote}:[EDIT]
Ballistic, I think the problem I experienced was related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3457#p34788
qreeves {l Wrote}:This is indeed a bug, because pistolselfdmg1 is zero, it tries to divide by zero in the code, and doing so makes the universe end. Hotfix for now, set the 'selfdmg' vars to a non-zero number.

It does only work for me with this, but maybe you were testing things in a SVN version where the problem with a selfdamage zero divider is fixed. Also, I first thought your collision value would disable getting pushed by your own explosions, but obvisouly, I was wrong with that.

Yes boni I am using an SVN version, sorry for the confusion. I had forgotten about that bug - I had quin's help in getting the collision value exactly right.

bonifarz {l Wrote}:On a side note, kickpush does not affect other properties, it merely pushes you while firing, while hitpush knocks back the target or anything within the area of impact (pistolexplode2*pistolpusharea). The main difference is of course that you do not need a nearby collision event to gain extra momentum from a kickpush, so you can just fire midair.

I have been explained the kick & hitpush equation before, and I understand how it works; however here I just messed with the values until I got a desirable result. I did not want to be able to fire midair and gain momentum; that is not a rocketjump :)

bonifarz {l Wrote}:Also, why do you state that it does not work on walls?

Players often fire a rocket against a wall to propel themselves faster in the opposite direction for varied uses, as seen also in the video. It would be cool if we could get this by modified vars as well, that would be cool, although in RE we do have wallrunning so it would be somewhat superfluous.

ballist1c

Postby wowie » 29 Oct 2012, 19:03

It wouldn't be superfluous if it could be used as an alternative source of momentum when your impulse is drained or you've already made 6 consecutive impulse actions without touching a floor. I know I've used the rocket a couple of times just for the triple jump effect even though that's a recoil jump and not a explosion jump.
I lost the game.
wowie

Postby bonifarz » 29 Oct 2012, 19:06

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Yes boni I am using an SVN version, sorry for the confusion. I had forgotten about that bug - I had quin's help in getting the collision value exactly right.

I suggest to put a nonzero pistolselfdmg2 in the leading posts code-box to prevent crashes on non-SVN builds. Setting up the collide integer works quite conveniently in the vars menu.
ballist1c {l Wrote}:
bonifarz {l Wrote}:Also, why do you state that it does not work on walls?

It would be cool if we could get this by modified vars as well

But it already works technically ... the push in the video is just much larger in magnitude. What is restrictive in your setup is the radius, so really have to get close to the wall. On the other hand, you probably intended to limit the ability to push around other players this way.
bonifarz