Replacement Sounds Mod v1: Rifle

Replacement Sounds Mod v1: Rifle

Postby ballist1c » 23 Sep 2012, 00:52

Hi, this is a replacement sound pack for the rifle. This came about when Karoushi said the current primary sounded like "someone dropping a stone into water". I agreed, and these were the result of half an hour or so in Audacity.
The first one or two modifications were done by Karoushi, and the rest by me.

Rifle Sounds Download: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24311617/rifle_sounds_v1.zip

Description
Primary: Rifle sound modified, sounds a little bit like a Quake railgun but still quite a unique sound.
Primary 2: Primary sound pitched a bit lower
Primary 3: Primary sound pitched a bit higher
Secondary: The primary sound has been bass boosted and faded out in this file. This one is admittedly very crude, but smashing the bass boost button did not work out so well, as I originally got something that sounded like a large fart ;)

Video Showcase: Coming very soon

I could work on the other sounds, if you have any comments or feedback don't hesitate to add in the comments below. Enjoy ^^

-Ballistic
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Re: Replacement Sounds Mod v1: Rifle

Postby ZeroKnight » 06 Oct 2012, 10:50

Pretty decent sounds. They sound close to the original sounds, but the added bass and whatever else is a nice touch, and makes it sound more like a laser.

One thing you may want to update in the instructions is where you tell the end users to place the files. You don't need to replace anything in the data directory. Anything Red Eclipse content can be substituted without touching data, and this is done by mirroring these directories in the Red Eclipse "home" folder, found here:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Linux - ~/.redeclipse
Windows - (My) Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse

The engine checks for modified content in the home folder, and prioritizes it over the stock content. So, in your case, you would have users place these modified sounds in the home directory, mirroring where they would go in the data dir:
Linux - ~/.redeclipse/sounds/weapons/rifle
Windows - (My) Documents\My Games\Red Eclipse\sounds\weapons\rifle

Upon loading Red Eclipse, the modified rifle sound effects will be loaded and used instead of the stock ones in data. This applies for absolutely any stock file. All content can be "replaced" without touching the install files.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby ballist1c » 07 Oct 2012, 18:03

Thanks for the info, I will change the instructions for win/linux ^^

However, I am native Mac and the dirs are often where people do not expect them to be, e.g. many mapmakers tell players to put their files here on a Mac:

/Home/Library/Application Support/redeclipse

Only thing here is autoexec and temp map files from servers when you do /getmap and temp files of editmode saves, nothing else. Placing mapfiles, sounds, etc. here does not affect the game on Mac

When in fact the correct placement is here, both for maps and soundfiles, (inside the tarball, and no it does not break anything to add files, only delete modify core ones such as game.cpp afaik). There is no other way for these files to show up:

Maps: /Applications/redeclipse/Contents/Resources/Data/maps
Soundfiles: /Applications/redeclipse/Contents/Resources/data/sounds/weapons/rifle (or shotgun, smg, etc.)

Just another heads-up since there has always been confusion about the dirs on Mac, and yes I know Macs blow >.>
Last edited by ballist1c on 09 Oct 2012, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.

ballist1c

Postby ZeroKnight » 07 Oct 2012, 21:39

Good to know, I'll have to remember that.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby ballist1c » 08 Oct 2012, 20:46

FYI doc updated

ballist1c