A few new weapon variable ideas

A few new weapon variable ideas

Postby Bobbo » 30 Nov 2013, 20:43

Playing around on the open vars server, I had a couple of ideas for new weapon vars:

<weapon>sound_<action>[1|2]
Changes the sound played by the weapon for action (reload, primary fire, cock, etc), mainly wanted the primary/secondary fire ones, but the others would be nice (and obviously the client would need the sound file).

<weapon>mobility
If you're carrying this weapon (even if sheathed) your movement speed is effected by this additive with other weapons (so you can't just walk around with pistol to avoid it all), so if pistol had 0.1 and rocket had -0.25 the total speed would be something like: finalSpeed = speed * (1 + (0.1 + -0.25)) These would all default at 0.0.

<weapon>zoommax
Sets maximum zoom in level for the weapon, so if it's 1 you can only use the first level, if it's 2 the first and second and so forth (this may be implemented already... I dunno, there's too many variables and not a lot of documentation - If so, apologies).
Bobbo

Re: A few new weapon variable ideas

Postby subraizada3 » 20 Dec 2013, 00:34

I agree with the mobility var, for servers like Wars with Vars it could help a lot with making something new.
As far as I know, weapons other than the rifle can't zoom, so I dont really see the point of that.

There needs to be more documentation about the vars, it's too confusing as it is.
It would be easier for newbies and also a bit more organized if vars were something like
<category> <thing> <additional_info> <new_var>
like (not all the var names are accurate, these are just examples)
/smg damage 1 30
/player movespeed 50
/impulse chargerate 50000

Tab autocompletion should also give a list under the input box instead of just cycling though matches, but organizing the vars more and adding documentation could make that unnecessary. Currently, to find the name of a var you just put what you think it starts with and spam tab a few hundred times until you find something that works.
subraizada3

Postby gynter » 20 Dec 2013, 09:40

Documentation like this? Please use the wiki.
gynter

Postby qreeves » 20 Dec 2013, 13:49

I'm going to try writing a new menu with search support that also displays the usage information if available.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby bonifarz » 20 Dec 2013, 14:56

subraizada3 {l Wrote}:Tab autocompletion [...] you just put what you think it starts with and spam tab [...] until you find something that works.

Hahah, that is the way it goes - and often the fastest and best way to get what you need.
qreeves {l Wrote}:I'm going to try writing a new menu with search support that also displays the usage information if available.

Oh, that could be awesome to get an overview in game quickly. And adding those usage info lines was already a great improvement.
bonifarz

Postby favorito » 20 Dec 2013, 20:13

bonifarz {l Wrote}:
qreeves {l Wrote}:I'm going to try writing a new menu with search support that also displays the usage information if available.

Oh, that could be awesome to get an overview in game quickly. And adding those usage info lines was already a great improvement.

Seconded, that would be super helpful.
Remember, don't shoot food.
favorito

Postby BioHazardX » 21 Dec 2013, 15:41

It would be nice if you will add the possibility to remove the weapon sway while moving, in Sauerbraten there's an UI option that you can toggle it.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Calinou » 21 Dec 2013, 22:42

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:It would be nice if you will add the possibility to remove the weapon sway while moving, in Sauerbraten there's an UI option that you can toggle it.

/firstpersonsway 0
Calinou

Postby Silux » 22 Jan 2014, 00:31

Mobility while wielding weapons would be really great to balance weapons like the sword and the rocket.
The sword could be much more useful if you are faster than enemies while wielding it, so that you can catch them up and slash them.Right now if you wield a sword the other runs away you can't hit them, and he can shoot you.

Being slower with heavy weapons like the rocket or rifle, would actually improve accuracy and if you use long range weapons you shouldn't need evasion ( some games even require the player to stay crouched and still to fire with sniper or rocket, or you get a really inaccurate shot ).

edit: move speed could be emulated by having a negative kickpush at each shot. It would be cool if the sword could have a slight negative kickpush to compensate it's poor range.
Moving forward and firing slows you down, but moving backward, and shooting who's chasing you, makes you escape faster.
Silux