Mod Idea - Team Fortress

Re: Mod Idea - Team Fortress

Postby riidom » 23 Jul 2011, 14:39

John: that looks pretty stylish so far!
Julius: can you post a screenshot of the issues? Maybe helps.
riidom

Postby Julius » 24 Jul 2011, 13:43

Ok finally back at a place with a suitable internet connection... I guess the easiest would be to post the .blend to have someone else try to eport the iqm.

Attached is my model (license: as all other RE media CC-By-SA, my mesh can be also used under the terms of the GPL v2 or later), would be nice if someone could try to export is and see where the problem is.

I am using the Blender 2.58 exporter as downloaded from this site:
http://lee.fov120.com/iqm/

@John: how about arching the bridge and roof a bit? it would probably break up the strait look.
Attachments
re_medium_3.zip
TF medium model (CC-BY-SA)
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 358 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jul 2011, 14:57

Ok I was stupid, thanks to Eihrul I got it fixed (you have to select only the mesh and the rig and then click the de-rigify option in the exporter).

Some smaller issues with the rig weighting still (especially with the backpack) but nothing major :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 25 Jul 2011, 20:37

Small test botmatch.

Works more or less fine now... no real texture or normalmap yet, but it works (try it out yourself by using the file below).

The only thing that is really not so great is that the 1st person hands use the same texture than the player model, but a different mesh, thus it looks quite bad when using a different texture :-/
Attachments
player.zip
(138.41 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fawstoar » 27 Jul 2011, 01:38

Looks good so far. The player models look a little bizarre when recolored... are there going to be more for the different classes?

Also John, that looks amazing, very high-quality as far as Cube 2 goes... looks better than a lot of maps. Does it play well?
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby Julius » 27 Jul 2011, 11:31

yeah, the full body recoloring is something not so great looking, also when talking about the regular RE playermodel. I guess masking certain areas of the texture of recoloring with a alphamap is supported already, but not implemented art wise.

concerning th variations, well yes... as you can see in earlier pictures I am planning to take this model and give it different heads, accessories and color-schemes to easily make different classes. However, now after testing it in the game I came to realize that due to the speed and scale of the game (as compared to a game like TF2 for example) even rather big changes in the close-up view hardly translate into a really noticable difference in game.

So for a classed based game, it will be probably be necessary to either massivly change the gameplay, or make new totally individual and massivly different models in siluette (probably requireing completely new animations also) :-/

Personally I feel that RE would probably benefit from a rescale as player models feel tiny compared to the environment and subsequently move way to fast too. But this would massively change gameplay and also counteract the special parkour movement idea I guess (which however seems rarely used by players).
On the other hand it would probably improve the current feeling that (admittibly also since I suck at this game ;) ) you just spam shots in the hope of hitting the small and too fast moveing players around you (exegerating it a bit).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby John_III » 29 Jul 2011, 03:43

fawstoar {l Wrote}:Also John, that looks amazing, very high-quality as far as Cube 2 goes... looks better than a lot of maps. Does it play well?

I have only used bots for play-testing so far, and it seems to play nicely. The map layout is very close to the original from TFC. The only major layout difference is a tunnel with a few extra corners to turn in the basement.
John_III

Postby fluxord » 07 Aug 2011, 09:37

Oh man! John_III, amazing work you're doing with this Mod of TF... So far the map is one of the best out there for RE. Very nice. Your new player models look very nice though! Keep that great work up man! (crosses fingers & hopes this mod gets finished).
fluxord

Postby cdxbow » 09 Aug 2011, 23:41

Thinking about the medic, could a weapon with 'negative damage' (ie give health) be implemented easily? I really like this element of TF game play, and while its not part of the game we are emulating, I have thought about this for MekArcade, not as a medic but as a Engineer mech.
cdxbow

Postby Kitsune » 13 Aug 2011, 18:45

cdxbow {l Wrote}:Thinking about the medic, could a weapon with 'negative damage' (ie give health) be implemented easily? I really like this element of TF game play, and while its not part of the game we are emulating, I have thought about this for MekArcade, not as a medic but as a Engineer mech.

dont see why it cant be done, but before asking if someone can code it, haev you tried messing with the variables?
Kitsune

Postby qreeves » 14 Aug 2011, 02:01

cdxbow {l Wrote}:Thinking about the medic, could a weapon with 'negative damage' (ie give health) be implemented easily? I really like this element of TF game play, and while its not part of the game we are emulating, I have thought about this for MekArcade, not as a medic but as a Engineer mech.

Very possible, we once had a tractor beam that healed team mates. :)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby fawstoar » 14 Aug 2011, 15:53

@qreeves

That's very, very cool... as an avid TF2 player I'm wondering about the possibility of something like the ubercharge mechanic... I know this mod is more relevant to TF Classic, but such an implementation would make the medic extremely useful, considering that the player health recharges automatically.
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby Julius » 14 Aug 2011, 17:39

FlyingHigh {l Wrote}:And updates????

Haven't really done anything further... but the problem is also that there isn't someone actually implementing the mod, e.g. someone (best would be a programmer) who takes the lead and sets up the mod. It's great that Quin is doing some foundations with the league mutator, but that isn't the same as actually making the mod, and I am just offering to make a playermodel. John_III is doing some mapping, but isn't actually working on the mod itself AFAIK, so up to this point there is no mod so to say.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby L » 14 Aug 2011, 20:39

fawstoar {l Wrote}:@qreeves

That's very, very cool... as an avid TF2 player I'm wondering about the possibility of something like the ubercharge mechanic... I know this mod is more relevant to TF Classic, but such an implementation would make the medic extremely useful, considering that the player health recharges automatically.

Another possibility would be either slow or disable autohealing.
L

Postby fluxord » 20 Aug 2011, 04:56

qreeves {l Wrote}:Very possible, we once had a tractor beam that healed team mates.

Bit late to comment on this but... The idea of a link gun (UT2K4) that attacks with a ray for primary fire & heals with a ray for secondary fire just crossed my mind (it would be a Ray Gun).

Also, is there any possibility to have this guy finished, and maybe with a more futuristic look, in a future release of Red Eclipse?
fluxord

Postby Julius » 21 Aug 2011, 16:39

fluxord {l Wrote}:Also, is there any possibility to have this guy finished, and maybe with a more futuristic look, in a future release of Red Eclipse?

It's a bit doubtful that I will find the motivation to finish this just for a regular RE inclusion (I don't really play RE myself). But here is the latest version... works fine just needs a skin and a normalmap etc.
Attachments
re_medium_4.zip
cc-by-sa
(1.28 MiB) Downloaded 345 times
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby John_III » 01 Oct 2011, 22:36

I plan to fix up the map during term break. School work has been keeping me busy lately.
John_III

Postby TheLastProject » 21 Nov 2011, 21:58

John_III {l Wrote}:I have added some trim textures to corners, added windows to the roof of the red base, changed the red base roof texture, shortened the height of the center bridge, added a wooden beam to the center in order to create some variation, removed the geometry lamps and replaced them with map models, placed water sound effects in the canal, and added some general lighting in the two base buildings.

I still need to blend the terrain textures and make a few more modifications.
http://forum.freegamedev.net/download/file.php?id=1661&mode=view

Sorry to bump but I just HAD to say that the map looks awesome. Any changes since October 2011 yet? (This map would be such a great "ode to Team Fortress 2") Hope you're even still around, John_III.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby John_III » 21 Nov 2011, 23:06

I have been making some incremental improvements over the past few weeks. Some textures have been changed/added, there is a new skybox, and I have been working on smoothing the background terrain. I'll probably make some lighting changes and add some detail objects for the next version I release.
John_III

Postby netherblood » 16 Jan 2012, 20:30

Looking good.
netherblood

Postby jadwight » 18 May 2012, 02:03

So how much longer until we can play the map! haha I was thinking about recreating this map in RE as well, but now that I see someone else is already doing it... I'll move on to something else...
jadwight

Postby qreeves » 18 May 2012, 03:30

jadwight {l Wrote}:So how much longer until we can play the map! haha I was thinking about recreating this map in RE as well, but now that I see someone else is already doing it... I'll move on to something else...

I believe the new thread for the map is: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3059
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves