POLL: What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

Melee (Fist & Kick)
4%
Sword
9%
Pistol
5%
Flamer
9%
Shotgun
23%
SMG
13%
Plasma
6%
Rifle
25%
Rocket
3%
Grenade
4%

Total votes : 141

Re: POLL: What's your favorite weapon of Red Eclipse?

Postby ZeroKnight » 25 Oct 2011, 15:53

Oblivion {l Wrote}:I strongly disagree. The Plasma is very hard to dodge by virtue of the large splash area.

Agreed. I barely use it, and I find when I do, I can land many hits with it. You just have to get the lead right and it's a very effective weapon given its ~18dmg, rather fast fire rate and fast projectile speed (early 1.2 setting)

Chasm {l Wrote}:I personally like the idea of the weapon jamming, but only where a skillful player has explicit factors they can control to avoid it. (like not trying to fire when reloading) I also think there should be a chance of these weapon malfunctions when cancelling grenades, plasma secondary, rockets mid-fire by changing weapons or reloading.

I like the idea of weapon jamming too. I like it a lot actually, as it demands more attention to how you fire, and requires skill to master avoiding jamming. The idea yes, the implementation, no. My beef with the weapon jamming in RE is how it is currently implemented. It seems rather silly for your weapon to extravagantly explode and drop from your hands and leave you unable to do anything whatsoever. I don't like it.
Personally, I think a better implementation would be for...well, a jam. The weapon locks up (maybe new animations and sound effects? :D) and you cannot continue reloading or firing. (but still able to switch weapons, as this would seem a logical option in a firefight) You would need to spend a set amount of time to unjam the weapon (that weapon jam time var) and it would only count if the weapon was in your hands. That way, you'd be physically unjamming it. (can't do that without the gun in your hand :P)

Just an idea. Not sure how much work the animation and sound would be given the skill of a few individuals here, but the coding part might be a challenge...or it may not be. What do you think, quin?
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 25 Oct 2011, 16:02

In 1.1 in thought that weapon jamming was a bug until I read that it's a feature.

I don't think it's a good idea in a fast fps, but if it's done, it need a dedicated animation.

Should I make weapon animation if it still here as server vars ? for those that want a pseudo realistic server mod
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby Chasm » 26 Oct 2011, 09:07

ZeroKnight's idea about having to unjam them seems good. Having a correlation between the weapon's behavior on jamming and the type of weapon would be cool.
Maybe the sword should just fail to energize on jamming, without doing any damage to the holder, and become fairly useless in terms of damage from then on.
The flamethrower's fuel cells should explode doing lots of damage and destroying the weapon, but not preventing you from picking up other weapons if you survive.
The shotgun and smg should just jam without doing damage but should take a long time to unjam. (These unjamming times could have a little meter around the reticule just like reloading but red colored maybe)
The plasma rifle and pistol should just create some sort of plasma explosion on jamming.
The grenade should either explode or become a dud.

One option to make it clearer to the user could be an over-heat bar for the weapons that this makes sense for, which fills by a randomized amount on each erroneous action (such as trying to fire while reloading, or cancelling secondary fire) and slowly dissipates when you give it a break or use the weapon correctly.
Chasm

Postby qreeves » 26 Oct 2011, 18:07

Yeah, as I said, I will revisit the idea later (or someone else may want to, we seem to have a few people interested in development now). I'm in a situation at the moment where I don't really have the time or resources to do much other than answer simple questions (now the forums are busier and populated with knowledgeable people, I get beaten to the punch there too).

I would love for more people to get to the level of being able to contribute code directly to the game (more people means more things will get done in various areas), the only thing I need to be conscious of is that these people follow the Cube coding standards (in reliability, minimalism, and layout), because I don't want the Lead Programmer to have to clean up constantly after these people. Basically, at the moment, I am the only one working on gameplay related things, and eihrul works on the technical side of things (engine-related mostly, but he cleans up after me too).
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby LuckyStrike-Rx » 27 Oct 2011, 02:12

Forget this jamming thing, who want his weapon suddenly explode in his hand in a middle of a fight. This is ok in for a RPG, but really not in a area game.
And It just looked like the model magically disappear from your hands.

As you can see, I really disliked this feature :) to me it have to stay in the grave with the Tractor gun
LuckyStrike-Rx

Postby ZeroKnight » 27 Oct 2011, 17:06

Well that's the thing, the IDEA of Weapon Jamming in itself isn't a bad idea, just how it's implemented. This could be a really cool feature if done properly. We just need someone who wants to do it :/ Quin can only do so much (especially in his current state of affairs)
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby TwnTurbo » 29 Oct 2011, 18:25

I would choose the rifle.

1) Accuracy
2) Reliability
3) It's just plain awesome! :cool:
TwnTurbo

Postby Kenzieone(Jesus) » 30 Oct 2011, 01:35

I feel like the sword is best, partially because no reloads, partially becasue residual bleeding, partially because of the guaranteed crit when lunging. But its only drawback is range, obviously, and as this is such a mobility-oriented game, getting into range isn't hard.
"[player] was:
shown the light
given kungfu lessons
impaled
chargrilled
cooked alive
fireballed

by Jesus
Kenzieone(Jesus)

Postby inpersona64 » 30 Oct 2011, 07:26

Kenzieone(Jesus) {l Wrote}:I feel like the sword is best, partially because no reloads, partially becasue residual bleeding, partially because of the guaranteed crit when lunging. But its only drawback is range, obviously, and as this is such a mobility-oriented game, getting into range isn't hard.

Jesus speaks the truth. Btw, your book is f**king long, bro..
inpersona64

Postby KaosC57 » 01 Nov 2011, 18:25

inpersona64 {l Wrote}:The best weapons if i were to articulate would be SMG and Flamer. Apparently alotta people dislike the flamer though. Saying its cheap. To be honest, if it were the most powerful, it wouldnt be in the game. I personally choose the Shotgun because I'm good with math, specifically geometry. Using the secondary fire on the shotgun is like the grenade launcher in Halo Reach. You have to know what surfaces to bounce it off of to effectively use it. It is a great weapon when you figure out how to use it in all situations. Yes, I'm still learning but it's fun to use as well. The arc is something you have to get used to when shooting the secondary fire in the air.

The flamer of all weapons would be the most powerful. So the way i see it, you should own a flamer whenever you get the chance. Or someone on your team should. But the flamer isnt for everyone. Because there are some people who teamkill with it when they use it because they have no skill with it, hence, it takes skill to actually use it effectively without teamkilling.

I wish the rifle would kill faster. I'm not talking about body kills. I mean when you hit a surface near a target. Four of those should kill the target, not 6 or 8. That would make the rifle more popular. The Red Eclipse team did a great job on the SMG which is why it's such a popular weapon. But from my perspective, it i were to go into an Arena Deathmatch, my two weapons would be Shotgun and Flamer. Why? Because i like to keep things close quarters, and I stay quick enough to keep it that way. Lol.

i love the smg and flamer its my best 2 weps for arena deathmatch the smg's bounce fire makes it exclent for around the corner kills and the flamer makes me think of the pyro in tf2 (one of my better classes)
KaosC57

Postby inpersona64 » 02 Nov 2011, 18:24

KaosC57 {l Wrote}:i love the smg and flamer its my best 2 weps for arena deathmatch the smg's bounce fire makes it exclent for around the corner kills and the flamer makes me think of the pyro in tf2 (one of my better classes)

I actually wanted to update this because ever since I've been playing in Wazu 1.2, I've come to the realization of how many people actually hate the flamer (mostly wazu members including myself but Wazu is a big clan anyways). My arena combo is SMG+Rifle. RE 1.2 is gonna nerf the flamer, not rendering it useless per say, but making it so that you actually need skill to get kills with it. I really won't have any beef with the flamer after 1.2 or in 1.2 server. As for other servers with Red Eclipse 1.1 settings, screw the flamer! :lol:
inpersona64

Postby ZeroKnight » 03 Nov 2011, 17:15

I don't mind the flamer too. You made all of the points I would have made. The flamer is powerful, but it comes at a cost. You can very easily set your teammates and even yourself on fire. You need to know exactly when and how long to use it, and in what situations to minimize collateral damage and maximize enemy damage. Personally, I think the flamer got nerfed too much, it's very hard to actually register a "hit" with it now, IMO. The flames clearly lick and envelope the target, but it just doesn't register as a hit half the time...it could just have been me. That and it only does about 3dmg when you do hit with it. For me, the flamer is useless now. Though to avoid a false result, I didn't use it for too long, maybe about 15 minutes.

Yes, it's true many Wazu's dislike the flamer. I however, am not one of them :P I made the same points in-game that Sona did here just now.

[EDIT]
Quin, we should probably split this topic. Quite a bit of these posts are debating weapon balance, and giving general feedback on them. A second topic (stickied, mind you) named something like "Weapon Feedback" would be nice. That way we can keep this thread about why we like this gun, and the other thread can be a big collection of all things regarding things like "this weapon sucks because...", "this weapon is great, but needs..." etc.
ZeroKnight

Postby TheLastProject » 06 Nov 2011, 18:12

I voted Rocket. That thing is so overpowered that even I can easily kill people with it. Good thing it doesn't spawn often and only has one bullet, otherwise that would be a problem.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Rabbit » 15 Nov 2011, 20:51

Plasma!
It has a very reliable primary fire for short to medium range combat with a nice utility secondary fire, great for putting distance between you and the guy trying to shoot your face off or when there are a good number of people brawling in a relatively small space.

Plasma is also a fun word to say.
Rabbit

Postby inpersona64 » 16 Nov 2011, 03:08

Rabbit {l Wrote}:Plasma!
It has a very reliable primary fire for short to medium range combat with a nice utility secondary fire, great for putting distance between you and the guy trying to shoot your face off or when there are a good number of people brawling in a relatively small space.

Plasma is also a fun word to say.

I think it's safe to say that a great RE player is well rounded with every single type of weapon. Sure, we all have our favorite, but when you favorite all the weapons because you are good at all of them, that's when you reach greatness :) I won't lie, I like using the Plasma too if there isn't an SMG or Rifle laying around. It does real good damage and if you can hit that person like what, 6-8 times in a row, they're dead. I've been practicing with every weapon trying to get better at the ones im not really too good at. And since the Plasma is least popular, if your foe gets killed by it, he'll likely reconsider it as a viable weapon lol
inpersona64

Postby Architect » 22 Nov 2011, 04:02

you can make all of them awesome
Architect

Postby SpiritOfOnyx » 27 Nov 2011, 01:42

I personally love impulsing upward at the perfect moment and kicking someone in the face,
Abraham Lincoln {l Wrote}:It's often dangerous to use quotes from the internet, as it's hard to tell whether or not they are genuine
SpiritOfOnyx

Postby Goku » 07 Dec 2011, 21:18

Had an idea this morning. The alt fire on the plasma is far less useful unless your near a full charge. A way to fix this: the longer you charge the alt fire the slower it goes but does more damage. This would allow 1/3 charges that travel farther and faster but are weaker. Any thoughts?
Goku

Postby inpersona64 » 08 Dec 2011, 02:40

Goku {l Wrote}:Had an idea this morning. The alt fire on the plasma is far less useful unless your near a full charge. A way to fix this: the longer you charge the alt fire the slower it goes but does more damage. This would allow 1/3 charges that travel farther and faster but are weaker. Any thoughts?

+1
Sounds pretty good, i'd like to try that out on a server or SVN if possible.
inpersona64

Postby qreeves » 08 Dec 2011, 05:45

Goku {l Wrote}:Had an idea this morning. The alt fire on the plasma is far less useful unless your near a full charge. A way to fix this: the longer you charge the alt fire the slower it goes but does more damage. This would allow 1/3 charges that travel farther and faster but are weaker. Any thoughts?

Done, added this to SVN as of r3128 :)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Goku » 08 Dec 2011, 22:20

Plasma feels nice quin. You are awesome.

heres another small idea ive been thinking about.

It would be cool if certain events could be tied with different post fx. Im sure this is not very viable because people might play with that post fx enabled or some maps may not look good with this; but linking different effects to decreasing health, picking up the rocket launcher, holding the flag/bomberball, ect. might look really cool.

examples

small increase in rotoscope/blur or bloom as you get close to death
increase bloom when you take the flag or bomberball or grab rocket

this would really be useful if the game ever gets powerups like double damage or invisibility, turning on gbr could add the appropriate effect.
Goku

Postby Erzengel » 08 Jan 2012, 14:53

I like the Plasma gun :)

When you know how to use it,it is a really deadly weapon-when you dont know how to use it,its deadly too-but for yourself :D
Erzengel

Postby TheLastProject » 08 Jan 2012, 17:29

I change my vote from Rocket to Flamer. Even though it's easy to hit teammates as well, burning someone to death just feels great.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Architect » 13 Jan 2012, 15:27

qreeves {l Wrote}:
Kitsune {l Wrote}:i'm really beginning to question if you even bother playing with your community on at least a once a month basis.

I play Red Eclipse online every single day (more when I'm working on new features), under an alias nobody knows so I don't get harassed by people.

lmao, PWN
also, the blue font is really lame
Architect

Postby Architect » 13 Jan 2012, 15:28

rifle wins, pZAP!
Architect