FOCUS: Project Hosting Solutions

FOCUS: Project Hosting Solutions

Postby qreeves » 08 Apr 2013, 08:20

As some of you may, or may not be aware, the organisation which provides a majority of Red Eclipse's hosting, SourceForge, plans to forcibly upgrade the remaining projects hosted there to their new platform, Allura. A year ago, SourceForge terrified many project owners by declaring their "Hosted Apps" (of which we use; trac and mediawiki) retired and that all projects needed to migrate within six months or risk losing their data; as it turned out, they were not even able to provide working migration instructions during that timeframe and had to rethink this position.

Allura, in my opinion, is still not production level software (alpha, maybe beta at best). It suffers from some severe navigation and usability issues, as well as requiring some projects forfeit features they rely on. In our case, our workflow relies on Trac and its integration with SVN, a feature we will lose in the upgrade; all revision tracking we have for our project will need to be rewritten. I have been in contact with SourceForge a few months ago, only to be assured my concerns would be addressed before the platform was fully deployed; this has turned out to be untrue. It also appears their primary focus now is providing as many ads as possible (to those not logged in).

What is going to happen now is an open forum on alternatives to the services provided by SoueceForge (and perhaps even those we have to self host or delegate to third parties). It has been suggested I look at TuxFamily, which seems to provide a good selection of services, scalable to the needs of a project. They are admittedly smaller, but run as part of a subsidiary, VHFFS (Virtual Hosting for Free Software). I plan to at least reach out to them for more information soon.

What we need:
* Web space which we can point http://www.redeclipse.net at (needs at least PHP and mod_rewrite).
* Somewhere capable of providing high capacity loads (our project can consume multiple terabytes per month minimum).
* Apps: mediawiki, trac, subversion, downloads.

What would be nice:
* Master server and primary game server hosting (redeclipse_server; both compilation and running [nano and screen?]).
* DNS hosting (ability to manage the redeclipse.net domain which I own).
* Own SVN hooks installed.
* Ability to import a backup of all our data from SourceForge.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: FOCUS: Project Hosting Solutions

Postby cdxbow » 08 Apr 2013, 22:13

My dreamhost sites are supposedly unlimited and have mediawiki and trac as 'one click installs'. Subversion has to done manually, there may be difficulties with this, I only get about 50% of stuff I do manually to work. but it is possible. Of the 'things what would be nice', only DNS hosting would be possible. You can have shell access, which may or may not help with the others.

If you want me to look into subversion and the capacity issues let me know. I could also make you an account and have a look yourself.

Google code or Github don't offer what you need?

EDIT: I'm a dickhead. Subversion is not listed as an app to install because it is built in. See below:
sub.jpg
cdxbow

Postby qreeves » 09 Apr 2013, 05:13

How much does that cost you though? I was looking more for FOSS stuff.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby cdxbow » 09 Apr 2013, 05:39

For you FREE! It's part of an 8 domain package. Which is all paid for and I plan to keep going for 10 years. Probably best if I set you up an account with dreamhost then you can see if it is suitable. I will do that this pm when I get home from work. There are some unused domains on the plan.
cdxbow

Postby cdxbow » 11 Apr 2013, 05:53

Quin: I haven't forgotten about this, rather encountered a problem. I set up a Dreamhost account for you with a domain, ftp access, web panel access and subversion/trac. I went to test logging into your account but it didn't work. The Sugarman has similar access but he couldn't log into his account either. We checked a few things but to no avail, so we are waiting to here from support.
cdxbow

Postby qreeves » 11 Apr 2013, 06:10

cdxbow {l Wrote}:Quin: I haven't forgotten about this, rather encountered a problem. I set up a Dreamhost account for you with a domain, ftp access, web panel access and subversion/trac. I went to test logging into your account but it didn't work. The Sugarman has similar access but he couldn't log into his account either. We checked a few things but to no avail, so we are waiting to here from support.

It's okay, I haven't had time to investigate it yet anyway.
qreeves

Postby gear4 » 16 Apr 2013, 22:25

I can provide this hosting:
  • webspace
  • 5120mb traffic (5tb, can be extended)
  • I have SVN and I can install MediaWiki and Trac (downloads app .. ?)
  • can compile and run masterserver and primary server
  • can install DNS hosting

I'll let you guys figure out how to do the backup import of the SVN project. Oh, I also can provide a Redmine-based forge, which covers everything for apps btw.

I'll also allow root access to an admin, if installation of dependencies are required. I have about 3gb ram remaining (should be enough, afaik), 3151mb right now.

More server specs:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
5939mb total RAM
Roughly 2243.6gb disk space
1000Mb/s network speed, internet speed can reach 50mb/s

email me if you're interested => aaron <at> graphox <dot> us
Last edited by gear4 on 17 Apr 2013, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
gear4

Postby gear4 » 16 Apr 2013, 23:09

oh, I can also offer Git hosting with gitolite (in case you need it)
gear4

Postby cdxbow » 24 Apr 2013, 00:57

Any progress on this issue, Mr Reeves? And thanks for the offer, Gear4.

I ask because last time I committed some stuff I got a warning that that was the last time I would be allowed to use the current svn/trac. Do/will we have to use allura as an interim arrangement? I have trac and subversion set up on a dreamhost domain but not tested and I haven't ssorted out user access properly, but I hope I will make some progress on this tonight.
cdxbow