rip wuala repo

rip wuala repo

Postby Dread Knight » 25 Oct 2014, 02:03

After this year, Wuala will no longer be free. So far it served the project pretty well as a collaborative repository when it comes to making and storing various assets, like blend files.
https://www.wuala.com/AncientBeast

Currently the repository takes about 7 gb of space and it's not even big yet. Considering current amount of donations to the project (next to nothing) and my income from freelancing (tiny) and savings (minus) I won't be able to purchase a paid subscription. https://www.wuala.com/en/purchase/storage

Before Wuala, I used to use Dropbox, but it's not that nice. Might consider getting back to it if I can't find another alternative that I'm happy with. Might even contact github and ask them to increase the space quote and host more stuff in the project repository or in an alternative art one perhaps.

Anyone using cloud storage services for collaborative games and assets?
http://alternativeto.net/software/wuala/
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Re: rip wuala repo

Postby Danimal » 26 Oct 2014, 12:13

thats sad to hear, but wuala inst that good, i cant access miss creeper files since a long time
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 26 Oct 2014, 12:23

Yeah, the service has been questionable at times and some of the files even got corrupted apparently. Will check if the Miss Creeper files are alright.
They changed their architecture and it was an annoying process, luckily I have an older backup. Gonna try out https://mega.co.nz soon, might just do for hosting the extra artwork and the blend files, 50GB for free,
not sure if it has a nice way to constantly sync right from computer though.
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Knitter » 26 Oct 2014, 17:17

Mega offers a sync client like dropbox or wuala, it limits the bandwidth and the initial sync is too slow (sometimes faster to just upload on the website), but after that it works fine. I have an issue with the client setting itself to autostart after each update but don't know if it only happens in OSX.

I've been using Wuala for several years and its so far the only system I would pay for, but may have been lucky not to hit any bug/issue.
Knitter

Postby Dread Knight » 26 Oct 2014, 21:44

Knitter {l Wrote}:Mega offers a sync client like dropbox or wuala, it limits the bandwidth and the initial sync is too slow (sometimes faster to just upload on the website), but after that it works fine. I have an issue with the client setting itself to autostart after each update but don't know if it only happens in OSX.

I've been using Wuala for several years and its so far the only system I would pay for, but may have been lucky not to hit any bug/issue.

Thanks for the info regarding Mega, sounds pretty good.

Yeah, would pay as well for Wuala if my situation wasn't so dire atm. Anyway, I prefer free stuff :D
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 07 Nov 2014, 15:47

Danimal {l Wrote}:thats sad to hear, but wuala inst that good, i cant access miss creeper files since a long time

Switched to Mega and updated info on website / github. Checked the Miss Creeper file, seems to be working properly. There's a tentacle.py along that might be needed and the texture folder since they're not packed.
Depending on my luck coding the new unit viewer, sketch fab models will also show up on website by default, having a download button as well. It's a nice sketchfab feature for quite a while now, good to have options.
Dread Knight
AB Moderator