about the game?

about the game?

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Jun 2012, 21:13

I looked around on your website, but I couldn't really tell much about your game. is it just where people choose charterers to fight each other? is this game in 2d or 3d? I was just wondering about more details of this project. and the chat window on your site doesn't work.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: about the game?

Postby Dread Knight » 04 Jun 2012, 10:48

There are quite a bit of details on the homepage and I'm constantly adding more.
The chat applet requires java to be installed afaik. It's basically Freenode IRC applet for #AncientBeast channel, so feel free to drop by anytime.

AncientBeast will be a single game with several versions:
  • a 2d version (which we're focusing on first, playable right from the browser)
  • a 3d version (from the browser as well, ETA about 2 years from now)
  • an Augmented Reality version, so you'll be able to play by just dragging the creatures mid air (ETA 4 years from now; it will require something like Google Glasses to actually see the creatures).

To put it simple, Ancient Beast is a mix of card games with battle chess.
In most game modes, you'll be summoning creatures that you own, each having 4 abilities. It's going to be playable 1vs1 and 2vs2.
So card game fans, chess players and tbs game fans (Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Disciples 2, etc) will most likely love the game.
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby qubodup » 04 Jun 2012, 12:29

Dread Knight {l Wrote}:The chat applet requires java to be installed afaik.

I's JavaScript. Not Java.

I recommend you keep "about" in one place ( http://ancientbeast.com/#info ), so you don't end up with different versions of the text. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Dread Knight » 04 Jun 2012, 13:26

qubodup {l Wrote}:
Dread Knight {l Wrote}:The chat applet requires java to be installed afaik.

I's JavaScript. Not Java.

I recommend you keep "about" in one place ( http://ancientbeast.com/#info ), so you don't end up with different versions of the text. :)

Seems you're right. I find it amazing that I bump into quite a few people now and then that don't browse the internet using javascript tbh.

Will update the info/gameplay sections pretty soon and rather just link people to them if that's what you mean :)
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby BioHazardX » 21 Jul 2012, 09:35

Is it possible to test the game, actually? :? And then, from what I understand, the game will be similar to Urban Rivals, is it right?
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Dread Knight » 21 Jul 2012, 09:53

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:Is it possible to test the game, actually? :? And then, from what I understand, the game will be similar to Urban Rivals, is it right?

It's not playable atm as there's no main gameplay coder and I'm rather JS retarded, so while I learn that better, I'll try to actually find or even hire a more skilled part time coder.
There's a lot of work going on though, but it will take several more months until there will be something playable. So community feedback and support can really make this project better and speed up it's development.
Anyway, by that time, we'll be having some video presentations and "fake" gameplay videos ready in order to better demonstrate and hype/market the project better before it's release.

I don't really know anything about Urban Rivals atm, but I'll look into it. Ancient Beast is basically like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, but from the browser and only focused on combat. You can think of it as card games combined with battle chess, using creatures (if I haven't mentioned this already in the thread).
Dread Knight
AB Moderator