Public domain dance moves

Public domain dance moves

Postby leilei » 22 May 2016, 02:09

Hi

I've been toying with the idea of a full body dancemove taunt button for OA3 (inspired by a certain recent game sequel's multiplayer feature) and i've been wondering how and where to determine if a dance move is legally compatible with the GNU GPL because it could fall under being a copyrighted reference/cheorography/performance.

because.....I'm pretty certain I can't make a caramelldansen, harlem shake, twerking or macarena button under the GPL
leilei

Re: Public domain dance moves

Postby Julius » 22 May 2016, 05:54

I guess you have seen this as it comes up with Google at the first hit, but for reference:
http://lawstreetmedia.com/issues/entert ... reography/

IANAL, but I am sure you can't use the term such as "press the Macarena button" to perform the dance, but given that I assume we are talking about short movement sequences less that 3 seconds or such I doubt that this can be considered a choreography (mere "dance moves" seem to be non-copyrightable according to the article). To quote the article:

So, how exactly can you copyright choreography? First, one has to define choreography. It is not as simple as a few dance moves strung together. Instead, Martha Traylor, a legal commentator, has suggested that we define dance as the “planned movement, set into a time frame, for the benefit and enjoyment of the passive observer.”

So most likely you will not run into legal issues using some dance-moves that are somehow recognizable as part of the recent pop-culture.

But besides that, why bother? Any kind of funny movement (see T-bagging) will do, no need for a "dance". And you could also look into traditional folk dances that are in the public domain if you really want to have some reference.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 22 May 2016, 12:04

Julius {l Wrote}:see T-bagging

yes let's do a disgusting male-oriented humiliation on winners podiums great idea
leilei

Postby andrewj » 22 May 2016, 12:21

I am not a lawyer either, but my feeling is that copyright laws require a "substantial" length for a work and a single dance move lasting a few seconds would be too short to copyright. Similar to how you cannot copyright a single word, but you can copyright a short story.

I also doubt that dance moves can be patented.

That leaves trademarks -- I think dance moves could be trademarked, but I dunno if any have actually been trademarked, and the usage in a game (especially a free game) may not even infringe such a trademark.
andrewj

Postby Julius » 22 May 2016, 14:56

leilei {l Wrote}:
Julius {l Wrote}:see T-bagging

yes let's do a disgusting male-oriented humiliation on winners podiums great idea

What do you mean? It's a courteous show of homosexual affection, displayed out of uttermost respect & love for your sparring partner of course! /s

But besides good or bad examples to illustrate a point (which does not imply approval of such behavior), nearly all dance moves have a sexual connotation no matter how much of it is hidden under layers of prudery or sexual concepts lost in history. It is also nearly always a show (or at least used as a show) of masculinity (or femininity) for attracting sexual partners or to establish oneself in the mating hierarchy of one's social context (especially when used as a "winning dance"). So the difference to trying to establish sexual domination through (admittedly adolescent) "T-bagging" is really not that big :p
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator