Itch the Store app for itch.io (MIT licensed)

Itch the Store app for itch.io (MIT licensed)

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2015, 12:36

After the (more or less) demise of Desura, this might be a new easy way to have an open-source application linked to an easy to use store front:

https://itch.io/app

https://github.com/itchio/itch

Thoughts?
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Itch the Store app for itch.io (MIT licensed)

Postby Arthur » 16 Dec 2015, 13:15

Possibly interesting, but a storefront is only as useful as the number of eyes it attracts. Discarding insects and aliens leaves us with a very small amount of creatures who might find a game in that store they wouldn't have found elsewhere.

In other words, Steam and GoG is where it's at, and anywhere else will probably reach only one percent of their mindshare.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Akien » 16 Dec 2015, 13:26

Arthur {l Wrote}:In other words, Steam and GoG is where it's at, and anywhere else will probably reach only one percent of their mindshare.

Yes and no, because the entry barrier on itch.io is way lower so tons of indie games are only posted on itch.io (and later on GOG or Steam when they're lucky). Doesn't mean that it will be successful of course, but there's more to it than "everyone is on Steam or GOG".
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2015, 13:58

True, but itch.io seems relatively popular and their easy to set-up game pages as well as the "pay what you want" modality could be quite suitable for FOSS games mainly looking for an easy way to attract a more constant flow of 'donations'.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Arthur » 16 Dec 2015, 14:36

Sounds like they have more of an audience than I realized. The Humble Store is apparently quite popular with indies as well, but I'm not sure if their submit process is a pain or not.

Would it be worth it for the FGD forum games to keep themselves updated on this site, you think? The extra maintenance must be low in other words, compared to visible mindshare, or I'd guess some games would be submitted once and then never updated.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Andrettin » 16 Dec 2015, 14:56

Arthur {l Wrote}:Sounds like they have more of an audience than I realized. The Humble Store is apparently quite popular with indies as well, but I'm not sure if their submit process is a pain or not.

It isn't a pain at all. Their staff was also extremely friendly and helpful when I was putting Wyrmsun on the Humble Store / setting up a Humble Widget.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 16 Dec 2015, 15:21

Julius {l Wrote}:True, but itch.io seems relatively popular and their easy to set-up game pages as well as the "pay what you want" modality could be quite suitable for FOSS games mainly looking for an easy way to attract a more constant flow of 'donations'.

True. Also, auto-updates are quite handy, if itch.io implements them in a sensible way (the manner in which Desura did it was rather unwieldy for developers).
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2015, 16:42

I gave up on itch.io when I got sick of seeing giant penis' in the games list and their response was that they don't wish to filter or limit creativity.

Maybe not, but I'm not going to promote something I don't want my children to see.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 16 Dec 2015, 18:15

charlie {l Wrote}:I gave up on itch.io when I got sick of seeing giant penis' in the games list and their response was that they don't wish to filter or limit creativity.

Maybe not, but I'm not going to promote something I don't want my children to see.

That's a good point. And it doesn't have only to do with what children should see, but also that we ourselves don't want to spend time going through lots of vulgar stuff while searching for something else.
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby fasterthanlime » 19 Jan 2016, 12:39

charlie {l Wrote}:I gave up on itch.io when I got sick of seeing giant penis' in the games list and their response was that they don't wish to filter or limit creativity.

That's something we addressed last July in our metadata upgrade - nsfw content is now hidden by default, unless you opt-in in user settings.
fasterthanlime

Postby Akien » 19 Jan 2016, 22:38

fasterthanlime {l Wrote}:That's something we addressed last July in our metadata upgrade - nsfw content is now hidden by default, unless you opt-in in user settings.

That's nice, thanks for letting us know (and welcome on this forum)! Now I need to find some time to actually try the app :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Andrettin » 19 Jan 2016, 22:43

fasterthanlime {l Wrote}:That's something we addressed last July in our metadata upgrade - nsfw content is now hidden by default, unless you opt-in in user settings.

Good to hear, and welcome! :)
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby Julius » 20 Jan 2016, 11:49

Oh, maybe you can also answer why since a few weeks I always get an 503 error when I try to reach itch.io? The subdomains like blog.itch.io works, which is rather strange.
Maybe you are blocking traffic from the Philippines?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 14 May 2016, 03:57

Interesting new development, a sort of "early access" called itch.io refinery:
http://blog.itch.io/post/144305999624/i ... o-refinery
https://itch.io/refinery

While most of it is probably not that interesting for open-development style FOSS games, it could be an easy way to provide delta updates of development versions to alpha testers.
See: https://itch.io/docs/butler/#the-toolset
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby chakharsh14 » 15 Sep 2017, 22:33

itch.io is functioning impressively so far. Let's see whats the future of it.
chakharsh14