Panzer General Assets Piracy

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 27 Aug 2015, 05:06

Check the README in pg-data.tar.gz

http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index.php ... t=LGeneral

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
The contents of this package is copyrighted by SSI which is now part
of UBI Soft. I did not receive an answer for a request on whether I
may use the Panzer General data for LGeneral, which is a non-commercial
product. I assume that no response means, that they don't care about it.
As UBI Soft does not sell this game any longer and as I do not earn any
money with LGeneral, I have made some of the PG resources available for
download in the spirit of abandonware and to keep a great game alive.

Just love how Linux people expropriate IP, instead of being creative and trying to produce something of their own.

Then again, the game is not out of print:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_General
> It was published on GOG.com in May 2015, after GOG Ltd acquired the copyright to the title.
Nikita_Sadkov

Re: Panzer General Assets Piracy

Postby charlie » 27 Aug 2015, 09:45

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:Just love how Linux people expropriate IP

Why are you accusing all "Linux people" of being IP squatters?

I just can't make my mind up on whether you deliberately troll or whether it is just your nature.

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:... the game is not out of print:
> It was published on GOG.com in May 2015, after GOG Ltd acquired the copyright to the title.

Perhaps the LGeneral people do not know this? At the time LGeneral was made, PG (a DOS game) was no longer available anywhere. GOG is a relatively recent thing.

Perhaps instead of assuming the worst of everybody, you might read their actual intentions ("to keep a great game alive") and instead report to them the new found availability of PG so they can update their website and take down pg-data (or at the very least contact GOG who now own the copyright).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 27 Aug 2015, 11:10

charlie {l Wrote}:Why are you accusing all "Linux people" of being IP squatters?

I just can't make my mind up on whether you deliberately troll or whether it is just your nature.

That is not the first time I see this. Even freegamedev.net is full whistleblower threads, going back in time: viewtopic.php?t=173

And just yesterday Freedoom was shitstormed, when artist tried to do something original, instead of mindlessly copying Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1413922

charlie {l Wrote}:Perhaps the LGeneral people do not know this? At the time LGeneral was made, PG (a DOS game) was no longer available anywhere. GOG is a relatively recent thing.

They have explicitly mentioned asking for permission and treating silence as a sign of approval (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_silence). Then again, there is no such thing as abandonware, unless copyright holder explicitly released it into public domain.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Julius » 27 Aug 2015, 11:19

Of course there is no such thing as abandonware, but never the less the readme might be from before it was published on GOG, so Charlie has a point.

In general I would say the "Linux people" are in fact the ones that actually care about legal stuff like that, check other "freeware" and such closed sources games and there really no-ones seems to care about ripped assests and the like. That we even have this discussion here is a case in point :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 27 Aug 2015, 11:33

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:That is not the first time I see this. Even freegamedev.net is full whistleblower threads, going back in time: viewtopic.php?t=173

So you have found 5... 10... maybe 50 examples! How does that apply to the 100s of 1000s of Free Software contributors to many great, original projects of far greater numbers??? All the projects that are strict about it e.g. OpenTTD never distributed the original TT assets. No, you paint the entire community with one trolling brush.

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:And just yesterday Freedoom was shitstormed, when artist tried to do something original, instead of mindlessly copying Doom: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1413922

Not even sure what to make of that thread? I mean, for starters, you are seemingly being part of the 'shitstorm' there...

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:They have explicitly mentioned asking for permission and treating silence as a sign of approval (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_silence). Then again, there is no such thing as abandonware, unless copyright holder explicitly released it into public domain.

Did you even read what I wrote? It would seem not, since I would have to repeat it almost word for word as a response to this babble of yours.

OMG you are seriously frustrating to interact with - which is why I'm on the fence over you being a troll. Here, I'll copy/paste my previous response on this matter just to help you:
charlie {l Wrote}:Perhaps the LGeneral people do not know this? At the time LGeneral was made, PG (a DOS game) was no longer available anywhere. GOG is a relatively recent thing.

Perhaps instead of assuming the worst of everybody, you might read their actual intentions ("to keep a great game alive") and instead report to them the new found availability of PG so they can update their website and take down pg-data (or at the very least contact GOG who now own the copyright).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 27 Aug 2015, 12:49

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:Then again, the game is not out of print:

That article is about Pacific General, but that doesn't seem to be the same game as Panzer General.
Sauer2

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 27 Aug 2015, 12:56

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:
Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:Then again, the game is not out of print:

That article is about Pacific General, but that doesn't seem to be the same game as Panzer General.

Yeah. I doubt that GOG (Polish company) will publish original PG, because it was making fun of Poles, riding horses agains tanks. Then it is a game about Nazis, while Poland suffered the most from the WWII, losing independency to USSR afterwards. Still not the reason for piracy, especially if the copyright holder doesn't want to see the game distributed.
Last edited by Nikita_Sadkov on 27 Aug 2015, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby charlie » 27 Aug 2015, 15:43

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:if the copyright holder doesn't want to see the game distributed.

If that was the case, the copyright holder would have told the LGeneral devs as such, rather than just ignore them.

The issue with many old games is that the notion of who is the copyright holder becomes somewhat forgotten as the commercial value of the game diminishes almost entirely. Some of these companies will have games on their books that nobody at said company will know about, it'll just be written as a transaction on some buried sheet of paper somewhere.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 27 Aug 2015, 16:13

charlie {l Wrote}:If that was the case, the copyright holder would have told the LGeneral devs as such, rather than just ignore them.

I've asked a shop owner if it is okay to rob his grocery, he have just ignored me as crazy prankster kid. So it must be okay to break into his shop then?

charlie {l Wrote}:The issue with many old games is that the notion of who is the copyright holder becomes somewhat forgotten as the commercial value of the game diminishes almost entirely. Some of these companies will have games on their books that nobody at said company will know about, it'll just be written as a transaction on some buried sheet of paper somewhere.

Company acquisition or bankruptcy are big events. Shareholders/debtors can easily prove they had company's shares at the time of its elimination.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Evropi » 27 Aug 2015, 20:02

If you want the LGeneral devs to be punished, take it up with GOG, not us. You literally can't change anything by posting here.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby charlie » 27 Aug 2015, 23:26

Nikita_Sadkov {l Wrote}:
charlie {l Wrote}:If that was the case, the copyright holder would have told the LGeneral devs as such, rather than just ignore them.

I've asked a shop owner if it is okay to rob his grocery, he have just ignored me as crazy prankster kid. So it must be okay to break into his shop then?

charlie {l Wrote}:The issue with many old games is that the notion of who is the copyright holder becomes somewhat forgotten as the commercial value of the game diminishes almost entirely. Some of these companies will have games on their books that nobody at said company will know about, it'll just be written as a transaction on some buried sheet of paper somewhere.

Company acquisition or bankruptcy are big events. Shareholders/debtors can easily prove they had company's shares at the time of its elimination.

Your ridiculous analogy and your moronic assessment of company acquisition makes me question why I even bother attempting to explain anything to you. You've made up your mind, we're all thieves and liars. Now please, go elsewhere and leave this community alone.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 28 Aug 2015, 07:35

charlie {l Wrote}:Your ridiculous analogy and your moronic assessment of company acquisition makes me question why I even bother attempting to explain anything to you.

I haven't noticed you explaining anything, besides spitting pejoratives.

charlie {l Wrote}:You've made up your mind, we're all thieves and liars.

You're welcome to display your superior expertise in the field and enlighten us all.

charlie {l Wrote}:Now please, go elsewhere and leave this community alone.

Why? Because I point the intellectual property theft?
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Taknamay » 28 Aug 2015, 13:54

Expropriate the expropriators!
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby Julius » 28 Aug 2015, 14:37

This thread has come to an end... lets just relax and worry about more important stuff ;)
Julius
Community Moderator