Rummikub or HertzanoKub

Rummikub or HertzanoKub

Postby svenskmand » 19 Aug 2010, 23:35

I am a very big fan of the classic tile game RummiKub and really need a decent computer version to play, but none exists, that is either the interface is crap or the rules are wrong, or both :S. So I have decided to make the game myself, and am a long way it is soon ready for play testing. I plan to release it as GPLv3+ on SF and to do this I need a name which is the point with my post.

I was thinking about calling it HertzanoKub, as a mix of Ephraim Hertzano which is the inventor/creator of the game and RummiKub which is the version that I have played in the real world (that is the physical tilegame). I have chosen this name to avoid using the RummiKub names as it is probably copyrighted and trademarked, and also the show respect to the original creator/inventor of the brilliant game :)

So do anyone see any possible copyright or trademark infringements or other possible legal problems?

Attachments
HertzanoKub.png
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Rummikub or HertzanoKub

Postby Julius » 20 Aug 2010, 00:04

Ahh my grandma also likes to play that game :p

I don't really see a problem, as game rules can't be copyrighted but IANAL. I would be careful with the look of the stones though, especially the logo of the joker stones might be problematic if too close.

But I doubt you will run into any problems with such a classic board game, its creators and current license holders will hardly care.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 23 Aug 2010, 21:29

Any comments about the name, this is the only thing I need to settle so I can register this on SF. Do anybody foresee any trouble with this name?

Also any good suggestions for a name is very welcome :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 23 Aug 2010, 22:11

Well, if it was something completely unrelated, then maybe no-one of the license holders would ever even realize that you made a computer game based on their game. Potentially that could save you some trouble as even when not on firm legal ground, a lawsuit can be quite problematic ;)

But I really doubt is will ever come to this, and a name is also easy to change.
Julius
Community Moderator