Talk (Slides & Video) about Free (FAIF) Game Art

Talk (Slides & Video) about Free (FAIF) Game Art

Postby qubodup » 01 Aug 2013, 11:46

Hello,

At Libre Software Meeting 2013, I talked about freely licensed art in free, open source games.

Video: http://video.rmll.info/videos/make-game ... art-audio/
Slides: http://qubodup.net/f-art/
License: CC-BY-SA 3.0

I'm going to talk about this topic at Flock next week.

Feedback is welcome both for the slides and the talk.

So far on my to-do list:
  1. Mention BartK's name, rather than being unspecific about who created OGA.
  2. Don't criticize website usability.
  3. Find out whether GNU's or FSF's statement that said something like "GPL game engines can be bundled with non-GPL art" still exists or what happened to it, if not.
  4. Find out whether or not Debian treats code and data the same way. Wikipedia claims that it does but there is no reference.
  5. At the end, add exaples of games (for show) and how they provide credits (include actual example in slides) and art source. Examples: NAVE, Flare (credits), Bos Wars, Unknown Horizon (source), OpenArena (?maybe not because violent and sexualized?) (requirement for music to have source). Use screenshots of asset production software. Make clear what a layered image/audio is. List file sizes for comparison.
  6. Think about more context for creating games in the free/open source (operating system) software world(?)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Talk (Slides & Video) about Free (FAIF) Game Art

Postby Evropi » 01 Aug 2013, 13:10

qubodup {l Wrote}:3. Find out whether GNU's or FSF's statement that said something like "GPL game engines can be bundled with non-GPL art" still exists or what happened to it, if not.

FYI, I'd definitely send an email to licensing|at|fsf.org. I had a licensing query myself over an unclear passage in a certain license, and they got back to me in a couple of days with a very thorough and detailed reply. Do not hesitate to send an email in that direction.

Apart from that, I think it's okay as they still recommend Creative Commons licenses for anything other than source code. But definitely ask them about it.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi