Is GPL Open Source?

Is GPL Open Source?

Postby bzt » 25 Feb 2023, 09:38

Julius {l Wrote}:
bzt {l Wrote}:Or do you deny that GPL is a FOSS license like Julius did, perhaps?
lol, I never did that.
You put my purely GPL licensed software off-topic, have you not?

If it really had additional restrictions as you claimed, you should have no issues quoting those, but not surprisingly you couldn't quote anything because there's none, it is verbatim GPL license, so you deleted my post instead.

I had a feeling that's what you're going to do, so I made a screenshot in case you try to deny what you did:
freegamedev.png

Just to be absolutely clear, from GPL Section 2:
The output from running a covered work is covered by this License only if the output, given its content, constitutes a covered work.
And Is there some way that I can GPL the output people get from use of my program?
In general this is legally impossible; copyright law does not give you any say in the use of the output people make from their data using your program.
And In what cases is the output of a GPL program covered by the GPL too?
The output of a program is not, in general, covered by the copyright on the code of the program.

GPL says that your claim is "legally impossible", which leads us back that you banned a GPL'd software as non-FOSS without reason.

Have a nice day,
bzt
bzt

Re: Is GPL Open Source?

Postby Julius » 25 Feb 2023, 16:47

I told you not to start that non-sense argument again. You completely fail to understand my argument and I have given up trying to explain it to you.

I will lock this topic and if you start another you will be banned from this forum for starting non-sense arguments despite being warned about not doing that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Is GPL Open Source?

Postby bzt » 03 Mar 2023, 13:07

Julius {l Wrote}:You completely fail to understand my argument
It's not just me, nobody understands your argument because you haven't explained it and haven't backed it up, well not ever. Even now, you still haven't quoted the part you're talking about, so how am I supposed to know which one is it?

Julius {l Wrote}:I will lock this topic and if you start another you will be banned from this forum for starting non-sense arguments despite being warned about not doing that.
All I did I asked you to quote the part in question so that I can fix it.

You still haven't done so, instead you're trying to intimidate me by saying you'll abuse your power? Do you think this is civilized behaviour? Backing up your claims is the only way to prove your argument in a civilized conversation. All you need to do is quote the part that you don't like and I would fix it. I still don't know what part to fix, because you still haven't quoted anything at all.

Cheers,
bzt

ps.: Seriously man, why are you acting so weird? Are you threatened or blackmailed like Brendan was perhaps? Ban me if you like, that won't prove your claim right. If anything, it will prove the opposite...
“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” /George R.R. Martin/.
bzt

Re: Is GPL Open Source?

Postby Julius » 03 Mar 2023, 14:13

There is literally a three page thread where several people tried to explain to you the problem with your understanding of file-format licensing and how that is incompatible with the GPL: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18353

But obviously you are not arguing in good faith any more, so fine, if you are asking for a ban you can have it.
Julius
Community Moderator