Multiple License and Credits page

Multiple License and Credits page

Postby farcodev » 11 Apr 2011, 15:19

Ok i have a little problem concerning the assets.
Most of assets in the game are made by myself, some by other people are released in public domain without a particular license, and some like the last ones are released in CC0 license.

The question is... how i display that in the credits page ? should i display each license ? and specify the license for each person (when they have one...) ? Because in the case when someone give away an asset, like one 3d object, without a license how i show that ?
I have Creative Commons assets, give away assets, public domain assets and even "freeware" w/o particular license.... The rest are GPL assets.

Thanks
farcodev

Re: Multiple License and Credits page

Postby qubodup » 11 Apr 2011, 15:34

First, a question :)
released in public domain without a particular license

Were the :pd: assets released specifically as public domain? Or was no licensing information included and you interpret that fact as the assets being in the public domain?

See copyright myth #1 for clarification.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 11 Apr 2011, 16:04

Each piece of data needs to have a clear author and license attached. How you structure the information is your choice. See https://github.com/bobbens/naev/blob/ma ... RK_LICENSE for an example.

You don't have to print licenses on every spot. It's enough to name licenses and have a license text file in the file tree. Links might even be enough, although I'm sure lawyers would recommend including the license text :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby farcodev » 11 Apr 2011, 17:36

qubodup {l Wrote}:First, a question :)
released in public domain without a particular license

Were the :pd: assets released specifically as public domain? Or was no licensing information included and you interpret that fact as the assets being in the public domain?

See copyright myth #1 for clarification.

Ok, there's some distributed as "do want you want w/it" like it's the case for one space unit object, the guy allowed me to do whatever w/ them and he distribute them as freeware but w/o any license (his website is here: http://solcommand.blogspot.com/), and some other like the icons are distributed under CC0. Some of these freeware have a short readme w/ a notice from the owner that indicate it's freeware, some others are distributed as free for non commercial use, but it's the same problem the readme is here but it's not really a license, but the notice are pretty clear.
This is a bit complicated :? :D
farcodev

Postby farcodev » 11 Apr 2011, 17:45

qubodup {l Wrote}:Each piece of data needs to have a clear author and license attached. How you structure the information is your choice. See https://github.com/bobbens/naev/blob/ma ... RK_LICENSE for an example.

You don't have to print licenses on every spot. It's enough to name licenses and have a license text file in the file tree. Links might even be enough, although I'm sure lawyers would recommend including the license text :)

Cool, it's about what i do in the credits text. But the problem stay the same, for the assets w/o a specific license but a readme, what to do :? put it public domain ? :?
farcodev

Postby qubodup » 11 Apr 2011, 18:50

farcodev {l Wrote}:for the assets w/o a specific license but a readme, what to do :? put it public domain ? :?

You can not release something to the public domain or license it under cc0 unless you own the rights to it.
"but a readme" can you give an example?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby farcodev » 11 Apr 2011, 20:21

qubodup {l Wrote}:You can not release something to the public domain or license it under cc0 unless you own the rights to it.
"but a readme" can you give an example?

Ya, i don't doubt it, it's why i ask what to do,
Here's the SolCommand one:

* Almost all my models have attached a document for "terms of use". Some of these documents are old so you should check my blog for the latest (updated) "terms of use" !

* All models are made by "SolCommand" from http://solcommand.blogspot.com/

* You can use my free stuff for ANY personal project that you want.

* If you feel like giving something in return for the models, you can always push the "Donate" button on my blog and buy me a coffee :)

* You can edit my ships, space stations and everything else, however you like (rename, retexture, edit the mesh, etc) just don't claim them as your own ;)

* I always appreciate when people contact me to tell me about their projects and how much my models helped them ... *hint* hehe.

* If you notice bugs or errors with a model pls let me know so I'd try to fix it !

* That's about it, enjoy my stuff and remember people, make Love not War ! :)

And it's the better one, some says "it's free to use it in non commercial project" and that's about all

Thanks for your answers ! :)
farcodev

Postby qubodup » 12 Apr 2011, 08:29

I would contact the author and ask for permission to use/share the models for example under creative commons attribution license.
solcommand_donations@yahoo.com , http://the-starport.ru/category/solcommand/ , http://cid-5d0715049236d05b.skydrive.li ... owse.aspx/. Public might be ways to contact them.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/563410-sol ... ee-models/ says "If you wish to use these models in a commercial project please speak with him first". Permission for commercial use is not specifically given in the ToU you quoted.

If you're not worried about 100% open source license-compatibility and you're just wondering about how to include many different licenses, just create a textfile called "SolCommandLicense.txt" (in a doc/ subdir?), paste the file you quoted there and refer to it in the list of assets/authors/licenses.

Or perhaps you're asking about something else? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby SolCommand » 12 Apr 2011, 11:34

Hey Farcodev,

I know you're asking about something else here but just to clarify the situation about my models -->> as I mentioned on SSC, >> you << can use any of my models in your game and alter them as you wish, I don't care if you're gonna sell the game or if it's gonna be free. That's about it, enjoy :)

See you guys around
SolCommand

Postby farcodev » 12 Apr 2011, 18:13

SolCommand {l Wrote}:Hey Farcodev,

I know you're asking about something else here but just to clarify the situation about my models -->> as I mentioned on SSC, >> you << can use any of my models in your game and alter them as you wish, I don't care if you're gonna sell the game or if it's gonna be free. That's about it, enjoy :)

See you guys around

Heya SolCommand, damn you're here too :x lol

Nah i just quoted you as an example, i know that you're ok ;)

Qubodup: thanks but yup it was just an example :lol: the problem is for other assets from other people w/o a license apart a readme that says it's ok for non commercial use.
But you're right, i should just put a section "free for commercial use" in the credits section.

Perhaps i ask a useless question, but but... well i don't know :? :lol:
The fact and to be clear, the problem isn't in the use of the assets themselves but HOW to display them in a credits form when it's not a standard license :?
farcodev

Postby qubodup » 12 Apr 2011, 18:25

farcodev {l Wrote}:The fact and to be clear, the problem isn't in the use of the assets themselves but HOW to display them in a credits form when it's not a standard license :?

If the normal format is

Art1 - ArtistX - CC-BY

Then for non-standard licenses I'd do something like

Art44 - ArtistYY - Custom (attribution/weirdlicense1.txt)

or

Art44 - ArtistYY - custom weirdlicense1

or

Art44 - ArtistYY - weirdlicense1

and add the info in the textfile/credits that the licenses can be found in game/licenses/LICENSENAME.txt
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby farcodev » 12 Apr 2011, 20:07

Cool !

A BIG thanks to you Qubodup ! :cool:
farcodev