A World Made on the Android Edition

A World Made on the Android Edition

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 23 May 2018, 21:47

Hello, I am WeLuvGoatz!
When you download the Android Version of Supertux, it states "You cannot use the editor so don't get very excited...". This is sad. But I have found out how to use the editor! I just went into the game and used it anyways. I created a worldmap of 25 levels and then used a computer to edit certain things using Android Lollipop on a phone.

Android World is an addon made by me for any version of SuperTux!

Now, I present to you Android World. This is my first addon made using the 0.5.0 editor (I have used the 0.1.3 before). If anything doesn't work, let me know! I really hope you like it, and let me know what you think! :) :) :)
Last edited by WeLuvGoatz on 11 Aug 2018, 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Re: A World Made on the Android Edition

Postby Serano » 24 May 2018, 18:22

Looks good, but maybe too easy, and some eyecandy would be nice. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 24 May 2018, 18:26

Android World 2 will come soon and will contain suggestions. I will update Android World very soon as well.

A few things: about how hard should the levels be? I intend "Oracle" and "A Seemingly Abandoned Igloo" to be hard levels, so which ones were easy or hard? Also, some suggestions on "eyecandy", do you mean things like trees, bushes etc.? I haven't played SuperTux in a long time before I made this world, and I haven't used the editor for a long time either.

Thank you for suggestions as this is my first addon. Have a nice day, Serano! :)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby manuel » 24 May 2018, 21:16

Well, those levels aren't what we would call "hard", but they are in the difficulty SuperTux was originally intended to be. Something about the eyecandy: Especially the first to levels look a bit plain and some other areas are a bit empty after defeating all the badguys. You can find some inspiration by playing the story mode and the forest world. But for a first world, it's very well made.
If you have questions about the level editor, you've found the exact right place to ask for. ;)
manuel

Postby manuel » 24 May 2018, 21:27

One thing to mention: Please don't make a tile solid at one place and at an other the same tile unsolid (e.g. "Wizard Tower"). You know where you can stay safely, but other players don't. Be especially careful when using the tiles in the "Block" section as unsolid tiles.
manuel

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 24 May 2018, 21:47

thanks for the quick, but useful critisism. Much appreciated! Will update soon!
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 24 May 2018, 21:49

One question though: How can I re-edit my addon? Do I just extract the files? I'm not good with files...
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby manuel » 25 May 2018, 06:59

You don't have to extract anything (at first). You can still edit the add-on, however the new level files will be stored in supertux/levels/ and not packed in the add-on. When you finished editing, just follow these steps:

1. unzip (extract) your add-on
2. paste the edited levels from supertux/levels/ into it. You can overwrite the old ones. Attention: When you paste the whole folder you created in your add-on, then you should choose "Write into" (or something like this), so the levels you didn't edit won't get deleted.
3. zip the add-on again. Voila!
manuel

Postby manuel » 25 May 2018, 09:03

Something else:
Just found your level "Completely Experimental". If you have question about these objects / creatures you can just ask here ;)
manuel

Postby DevonST » 25 May 2018, 15:56

Just a few tips:
1. If you use info boxes to show some text, you can do some formatting with the first character of each line. Use the dash (-) only for headlines, for normal text use a hash (#) instead. Sometimes the text boxes were too big for my screen.
2. For better object placing you can enable ‘Snap objects to grid (f7)’. Strong recommendation!
3. For the yeti boss fight: Type in sector.Tux.trigger_sequence("fireworks"); to his death script and remove the exit so you have to defeat the yeti rather than just skip the fight by going to the exit.
4. You can let a tilemap vanish when you enter a secret area. Though, this is a bit too complicated to explain in this comment.
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby manuel » 25 May 2018, 17:01

4. a) To do this, add a new layer. You find it under "Objects > Ambient > the second item in the first row). Select it and click with it in the level.
b) At the bottom bar, a new icon of this tile should appear. Right-click on it.
c) Give it a name by hovering over "Name" with your mouse. Start typing.
d) Move the layer up. Hover over "Z-Pos" and increase the number. 50 is the layer where badguys and coins are placed, so it should be at least 51.
e) Click okay.
f) When placing a secret area, right-click it.
g) Type in the name you just gave to the tilemap in the "Fade-tilemap" field.
h) Click okay. You did it!
Don't forget to save your level...
manuel

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 25 May 2018, 23:14

1. Completely Experimental and Flashback will be removed soon, so dont worry.
2. I will fix yeti, secrets and infoblocks in the second release.
3. Snap Objects doesn't work on Android. :(
4. Wizard Tower is going to be redesigned to look more like a forest level and a wizard's tower. I also plan on redesigning Nolok's Prison, Oracle, and the Igloo Level.

I don't have a computer, as I use a public one, and the right clicking features dont work on Android. Thank you all for suggestions!

Is there any way to replicate right-clicking or typing features on the Android Port?

The second release will come in anywhere from a week to a few months from now. I hope you all will enjoy!
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby trevor » 27 May 2018, 11:37

Hi. Great map. I really enjoy playing it. I found a place where I fell into a hole and can not die.

not_die.png

Sorry for my bad english.
I'm sorry. My English is very bad.
trevor

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 29 May 2018, 01:53

Will be fixed in the second release. That level is going to be removed by the way, it is unneeded and was just created for test purposes.
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 29 May 2018, 19:38

Hey, any suggestions on how to make Android World harder? I will be working on it later today, so now is the time for suggestions, mainly ways to make it harder is what I'm looking for! :) :)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 30 May 2018, 18:52

The new and Improved Android World is almost done! :) Just 6 levels need work done now. I hope you are all excited! :)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 31 May 2018, 18:22

A snapshot of the new "Lava Mountain". Almost done!
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-05-31-10-18-53.png
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 02 Jun 2018, 21:10

Tried some more Paralax Backgrounds today, but then experimentex and got this.

I think it looks pretty cool, what do u guys think?
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-06-02-13-07-38.png
Screenshot_2018-06-02-13-06-42.png
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 02 Jun 2018, 21:11

This level will be in Android World V2, and will replace Nolok's Prison. Want me to share it?
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby WeLuvGoatz » 19 Feb 2019, 02:44

BTW for all those that still cared about this addon: I gave up on it, I have other things to pursue (such as other worldmaps to make, real life things, etc.)
No.
WeLuvGoatz
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Busybody43 » 03 Feb 2020, 00:23

But can you please release what you DID finish? Like with Tux New Journey by misky91?
Busybody43