Two Levels – Snow Hills and Derelict Crossing

Two Levels – Snow Hills and Derelict Crossing

Postby Digital » 05 Apr 2018, 14:02

Hey,

I first played SuperTux over 5 years ago but stayed away from the editor.

Today I present my first 2 levels! They took about 4 sittings each, a sitting lasting 1 hour.

Hope you have fun, looking forward to feedback.

Edit: There are 2 secret areas in Derelict Crossing. I forgot to label one as such.

P.S. I manually changed the name of .stl files, they were originally named level1 and level2 , now SuperTux app recognises these as separate levels so it lists 4 levels rather than 2 for me. Any fixes?
Attachments
Snow Hills and Derelict Crossing.zip
(8.01 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Last edited by Digital on 05 Apr 2018, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
Digital

Re: Two Levels – Snow Hills and Derelict Crossing

Postby Digital » 05 Apr 2018, 14:07

Some previews

Snow Hills #1.jpg

Snow Hills #2.jpg

Derelict Crossing #1.jpg

Derelict Crossing #2.jpg

Derelict Crossing #3.jpg
Last edited by Digital on 08 Sep 2018, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Digital

Postby DevonST » 05 Apr 2018, 17:05

Wow, both levels are really well-made. It took me a while to get the door secret in “Derelict Crossing” — never seen such an hard secret before. “Snow Hills” was a lot of fun but “Derelict Crossing“ can quickly become frustrating because of so many jumpies (if you have no power-up, timing is annoying; if you have the fireflower, you can burn your way trough — that’s boring and takes a lot of time), badguys that welcome you when you jump to the next platform and jumps you can only make with enough speed or backflipping but I think this is the difficulty of the level ;)
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby Digital » 05 Apr 2018, 18:23

Thanks for the feedback :)

Originally there is a fixed spring near the door so you don't have to carry the spring but I thought it would be more unique to remove it. You can complete the whole level in small Tux form. I'll be more careful about adding badguys next time!
Digital

Postby mteufel » 06 Apr 2018, 08:39

I do really like the design of the levels.

They are rather difficult though.
Digital {l Wrote}:You can complete the whole level in small Tux form.

Then please show me how you would do that. I had to do some backflip jumps (in both levels) where I think the level would be unsolvable using small Tux. And - to complete the level as small Tux - for this situation means to be able to get all the coins and all the secrets (i.e. in this one-tile wide high path shown in your last picture - how would small Tux jump out of this while carrying the trampoline?). That is essentially what seems the only negative aspect of the levels.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby manuel » 06 Apr 2018, 08:46

Digital {l Wrote}:P.S. I manually changed the name of .stl files, they were originally named level1 and level2 , now SuperTux app recognises these as separate levels so it lists 4 levels rather than 2 for me. Any fixes?

If it still displays 2 level you can choose from, but tells you finished 4/4 levels, then it may have something to do with the savefile. Go to the SuperTux folder and to "profile<THE PROFILE YOU USE> / <LEVELFOLDER-NAME>.stsg" (e.g. profile1/levels.stsg) and edit the file. There should be something like
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
("level1.stl"
   (solved #t)
)

Just delete those three lines (and the three lines for level2.stl, too).
manuel

Postby Digital » 06 Apr 2018, 10:43

mteufel {l Wrote}:to complete the level as small Tux - for this situation means to be able to get all the coins and all the secrets

I meant that you can complete the level as small Tux, but not necessarily all secrets. You are correct that it's not possible for small Tux to reach the first secret area. I didn't think that was a problem, since I thought secret areas were meant to be a bonus. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll watch out for that.

manuel {l Wrote}:Go to the SuperTux folder and to "profile<THE PROFILE YOU USE> / <LEVELFOLDER-NAME>.stsg" (e.g. profile1/levels.stsg) and edit the file.

Thanks, that solved it :) Quite useful too, looks like I can skip levels that way
Digital

Postby manuel » 06 Apr 2018, 16:48

Digital {l Wrote}:I meant that you can complete the level as small Tux, but not necessarily all secrets. You are correct that it's not possible for small Tux to reach the first secret area. I didn't think that was a problem, since I thought secret areas were meant to be a bonus. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll watch out for that.

In my opinion, you don't have to be able to enter all secret areas in every size/state of Tux. However, finishing a level should be possible for all sizes.

Digital {l Wrote}:Thanks, that solved it :) Quite useful too, looks like I can skip levels that way
:p
manuel

Postby manuel » 06 Apr 2018, 17:26

Snow Hills: A nice snowy level.

Derelict Crossing: I really like the level, it looks great! It was challenging, but not frustrating. I have some suggestions, though: Allow small Tux to leave the pipe area to the left of the trampoline. I banged my head (stupidly :cry: ) and got small, so I had to restart the level again, so the checkpoint was a bit worthless. Maybe remove the second Jumpy after the trampoline to allow small players to go back up after they collected the coins. And you called the sector a "secret", but didn't place a secret area. (You already mentioned, sorry :) )
manuel

Postby brmbrmcar » 07 Apr 2018, 01:35

I got all the coins in Snow Hills first time. Nice level. I liked Derelict Crossing too, it took me a few attempts to pass but it was by no means the hardest level I had ever played. I really do think that all secrets should be accessible with small Tux under all circumstances however.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Digital » 07 Apr 2018, 10:58

Thanks for the feedback guys.

manuel {l Wrote}: I banged my head (stupidly :cry: ) and got small

How did you manage to do that? I always backflipped up while holding the trampoline and it was fine.
Digital

Postby manuel » 08 Apr 2018, 11:48

Digital {l Wrote}:How did you manage to do that? I always backflipped up while holding the trampoline and it was fine.

I went down the first hole (at the left of your screenshot), knowing that I can backflip up again, so I didn't took the trampoline first. I cleared the area, took the coins and wanted to walk up again. However, the curve of the pipe is a slope, so you can walk upwards without having to duck-jump. But the Icebridge blocks are a bit too close, so I banged my head on it. Walking on slopes + a too low ceiling = Tux becomes small. Like I said, it was quite silly from me to simply walk there.
manuel