Adventure to the New World Licensing

Adventure to the New World Licensing

Postby Jonathan » 04 Dec 2017, 21:23

Hello all,
For quite a while now, I've been working on a remake of the classic Supertux levelset: Adventure to the New World - parts 1, 2, and 3. I'm pretty much done with parts 1 and 2, so I wanted to clarify a few things before posting them here.
My intention is to have these addons eventually accepted into the Supertux addon repository. With that in mind, what license do I have to release these levels under to be able to do that? I tried to contact the author to get him to license the levels under the CC-BY-SA 4.0, but I never got a response. Link here, about 4th down: https://www.youtube.com/user/Miksy91/discussion . He has made it clear to other supertux players before that he'd be okay with his levelset being remade/reworked; he just doesn't want to do it himself. I'll post a link when I find where he said it - it's somewhere on his youtube. If anyone could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. I promise the remakes won't disappoint!

EDIT: Here is a link to where he said he was fine with his levels being ported. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeP9tztDl0 (Check the 3rd and 4th comments down and their replies).
Jonathan

Re: Adventure to the New World Licensing

Postby Jonathan » 02 Jan 2018, 19:07

If the original author (Miksy91) reads this, please leave a comment saying whether you are okay with me remaking your levels. It would help a lot. Thanks!
Jonathan

Postby Miksy91 » 01 Aug 2018, 13:41

Hi,

I happened to notice just now that you had written in my wall in Youtube way back then..
Nevertheless, I'm fine with you porting ATTNW over for Milestone 2 if you like.

Like you mentioned above, there is no license attached for ATTNW levelsets, but it would be a good idea to add one. I just checked and found this Creative Commons 4.0 which sounds reasonable for ATTNW levelsets. So you're free to edit and create your own portable versions based on the levels for SuperTux Milestone 2, but it would be nice if you kept me mentioned as the original creator of the levels for Milestone 1. Thank you! :)

And feel free to contact me if you end up releasing this levelset for Milestone 2. I could be interested in trying it out too.
Miksy91

Postby Jonathan » 02 Aug 2018, 14:43

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I do have ATTNW Parts 1 and 2 ready, I was just kinda waiting to post them here till I knew it was okay with you. I'll try to have them posted here shortly. And yes, you will be mentioned as the author of all the levels. Progress on ATTNW 3 is kinda slow at the moment, but I'll have it done eventually. Again, thanks a bunch man! I hope everybody will enjoy these levels as much as I did when playing them way back when.
Jonathan

Postby brmbrmcar » 02 Aug 2018, 15:03

Which 'Creative Commons 4.0'? There are 6. Attribution-share alike?
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby Jonathan » 02 Aug 2018, 15:23

I'm guessing CC-BY-SA 4.0 - the one I mentioned in my earlier post, which the Supertux team recommends using.
Jonathan

Postby Miksy91 » 06 Aug 2018, 13:24

Jonathan {l Wrote}:Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I do have ATTNW Parts 1 and 2 ready, I was just kinda waiting to post them here till I knew it was okay with you. I'll try to have them posted here shortly. And yes, you will be mentioned as the author of all the levels. Progress on ATTNW 3 is kinda slow at the moment, but I'll have it done eventually.

Sounds good! :)

Jonathan {l Wrote}:Again, thanks a bunch man! I hope everybody will enjoy these levels as much as I did when playing them way back when.

I hope so too! And no need to thank me really :) You're the one who has done the hard work porting the levels over for Milestone 2. I should be thanking you for doing so.
In fact, once you have uploaded the levelsets for ATTNW 1 and 2, I could add downloadlinks to them in my website. I also added a remark about the licensing of the levels. The levelsets are now licensed under CC-BY-SA 4.0 like you, and SuperTux team apparently suggest using.
Miksy91

Postby Adharsh » 09 Jan 2019, 03:20

Will you post ATTNW part1 and part2 here?
Adharsh

Postby Alzter » 09 Jan 2019, 12:19

This sounds awesome! I'm hyped.
Alzter

Postby ProTux » 02 Feb 2019, 02:02

Count me in. im excited
im back
ProTux

Postby Busybody43 » 03 Feb 2020, 02:43

But what about part 3? or bonus island x? or New Journey?
Busybody43

Postby Busybody43 » 03 Feb 2020, 02:43

But what about part 3? or bonus island x? or New Journey?
Busybody43