New Level - Swimming Concept?

New Level - Swimming Concept?

Postby VNS » 14 Jun 2017, 02:52

Here's a little level I made. It introduces a sky area, which you can fall down from and return to the main sector.
It also includes a swimming concept, where Tux can swim in the water.
Attachments
NewLevel.zip
(3.85 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Hello there!
VNS

Re: New Level - Swimming Concept?

Postby mteufel » 14 Jun 2017, 09:26

I don't know if you've seen https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/217#issuecomment-233174252 but might be interesting. Anyway, nice concept idea - and it looks like an interesting start for some level. Maybe make something bigger out of it?
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby VNS » 14 Jun 2017, 20:40

I will still continue the level. This is only a start.
The swimming feature idea wasn't something I've seen before, but it is interesting. For now, I'll stick to my concept.
Hello there!
VNS

Postby Prince Rilian » 25 Jun 2017, 01:43

I have thought of a level that involves swimming as well. For now I'll consider it a complete level in my level-design project, but I could always put more things on in the future. Note that I had built this level on the "Milestone 1" 2003 version of SuperTux (on my Linux system) and then ported the code over to a different computer with the current Development Version of SuperTux (on a Windows 7 system). Note that the level height is still only 15 blocks like in the original version, so magnify the level before you play it or put it in a short-height window! I took advantage of well-placed hidden blocks at the water line, a lowered the gravitational rate, and specially thought out graphical design all in tandem to put the level together.

In any case, it may provide a few ideas. It just seems to flow well for some weird reason.

I find it interesting that mteufel mentioned the https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/217#issuecomment-233174252 article, I had no idea that it was even considered that Tux was to swim in the actual code. Either the code I am looking through was too out of date (most likely) or I just hadn't seen it in the code yet. The only source code I have available on either computer is the old Milestone 1 code, after all!
Attachments
Sea of Hyperthermia.zip
My "concept" level, with .info file
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Prince Rilian