How to make personalized tiles

How to make personalized tiles

Postby Mar7y » 08 Nov 2021, 09:46

How can I use my own tiles in the worldmap?

Im doing an addon that needs desert tiles while using icy_world tilemap and when used, they are bugged
Mar7y

Re: How to make personalized tiles

Postby Bear bear dolan 1 » 20 Apr 2022, 00:02

I too want know :^
Bear bear dolan 1

Postby Semphris » 03 May 2022, 00:13

Making custom tiles is not supported very well in SuperTux currently.

If you want to do give it a try:
- Duplicate the *.strf file you want to start from and put it in your add-on folder (or anywhere you want). Optionally, you can create a blank file if you want to start from scratch - but that's more difficult.
- Open your level(s), press escape to show the pause menu, select "Level Settings" and then "Tileset", and find your tileset file.
- Edit your tileset file and add your own tiles. You can probably guess what you need to do just by looking at the structure of the file, but if you need some general steps:
1) Add a section called "tiles" towards the end of the file, with the others, and you need to put your tile image, the size of the grid for your tiles (remember that each tile must be 32x32 - the game will complain if it's not exactly the correct size!), and the ID you want to assign to your new tiles. Be careful, make sure not to assign the same ID to two different tiles!
2) Towards the top of the file, add your new tile IDs in one of the "tilegroup" sections. You can also add your own section if you want.

Note that you'll need to close and re-open the game each time you change the tileset file before you see the changes in-game.

Afaik, there is currently no guide on how to do custom tilesets, so you will need to be somewhat autonomous. I can still answer your questions if you have any, but I can't really give a class on how to do custom tilesets ;)
Semphris

Postby Semphris » 03 May 2022, 00:15

I spoke too soon:

https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/Tileset

Don't mind the message above, it's far better explained there :D
Semphris

Postby Mar7y » 06 May 2022, 08:54

Thank You Semphris
Mar7y