[TROLL] [GIT] Midnight and Commander

[TROLL] [GIT] Midnight and Commander

Postby divVerent » 04 Jun 2020, 02:40

I made a... "nice" level to try out water mechanics. Or rather, I copied it from an infamous S**** M**** Maker level by BarbarousKing. Incorporated CarlSagan42's suggestions for extra hidden blocks, too.

You MUST fast-swim in there in many places (i.e. swim while spamming jump). Fast-swim also is the only way to activate the P-switches in this level.

WARNING: LEVEL IS DESIGNED TO BE VERY FRUSTRATING. IT MAY CAUSE YOU TO SING BAD SONGS ABOUT ITS CREATOR. SEE BELOW FOR CHEATS.

WARNING: This level does NOT work (as in, is not winnable) with the latest release yet! It has been designed for the current git repository as is.

CHEATS: After applying https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/pull/1419, you can use the following spawnpoints to jump to places:

• --sector main --spawnpoint s1: past long bar
  • --sector main --spawnpoint s2: past slalom
  • --sector main --spawnpoint s3: past owl room
  • --sector main --spawnpoint s4: past pi-switch race
  • --sector main --spawnpoint s5: past moving spikes
  • --sector main --spawnpoint s6: past ghoul room
  • --sector subworld --spawnpoint main: past dot pattern
  • --sector subworld --spawnpoint s1: past ice block delivery
  • --sector subworld --spawnpoint s2: past spike circle
  • --sector subworld --spawnpoint s3: past kamikaze & crusher
  • --sector subworld --spawnpoint barbCP2: past crusher door
  • --sector main --spawnpoint barbMaze: past checkpoint room

Attached as an addon (it's level4.stl in there, but uses some assets in the zip). Again, DOES NOT WORK WITH 0.6.1 OR 0.6.2. REQUIRES CURRENT GIT.

As a bonus, this level showcases (mostly) working P-switches (made them show as pi-switches there because fun).
Attachments
divTrololo-without-large-stuff.zip
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
divVerent

Re: [TROLL] [GIT] Midnight and Commander

Postby divVerent » 04 Jun 2020, 14:02

An interesting challenge could also be turning this level into good level design. Changes I would imagine would include:

- Give the player more time right at the start.
- Add a reset door to the Pi-Switch race part (so if you are too slow, you can retry).
- Add a way to retry the owl room (a door would do). Would have to reset the owl.
- Remove various invisible blocks.
- Add a way to retry the ice block delivery (e.g. send the ice block from a dispenser).
- The crusher on the door really should not be.
- Neither should the maze at the end. There is probably no way to salvage that. Especially if we want to keep the part about hitting the switch and running to the end as fast as possible. At the very least that race should be retryable.
divVerent