14%
Very Hard
No votes
Could not complete
14%

Total votes : 7

Level: 0200 Hours

Postby tempAnon093 » 05 May 2020, 08:54

UPDATE: this level's scripting breaks in v0.6.2 and v0.6.3 due to a bug. I'll fix the graphics issue when scripting works again.

Under cover of the night, Tux approaches Nolok's secret hideout. Deep within its walls, past many elite guards, a large treasure of coins awaits!
The sounds of guards testing their weapons up above will help to hide your noise, but setting off alarms will make it difficult to escape.

This is somewhere between a puzzle level and a stealth level. Avoid the ispys when you can because they will call in backup guards (there are a couple that you can't avoid). When in doubt, run! There's a fair bit of experimentation in this level, but it's not as unfair as my previous level.

IMPORTANT: This level expects the Simplex.ogg and Simplex.music files to be placed directly in the /addons folder (I couldn't get a relative path to work.)
Simplex.music is included in the .zip, Simplex.ogg is too large to upload here. It can be found here or here.
Music is by Kevin Macleod (CC-BY 4.0)

Edit: There might be a bug in here: the ending has a surprise slow motion jump but I have seen cases where it doesn't completely return to normal and the game stays slower than normal even in other levels. Closing and opening the game will fix this.
Attachments
0200 Hours.zip
(18.8 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
0202.png
0201.png
Last edited by tempAnon093 on 16 Dec 2022, 01:12, edited 3 times in total.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: Level: 0200 Hours

Postby DevonST » 06 May 2020, 16:15

Music and atmosphere are very good! Using Spikys as guard is really clever! But I don’t think that I did the section shown in the screenshot right. I just damage-boosted through the Spiky and the projectiles from the cannon. I also didn’t know what to do in the next section at first but when I activated the cannon by accident I could escape.

With all those script triggers in the level, this level must have been a nightmare to make, but I enjoyed it.
Attachments
weird-section.jpg
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby tempAnon093 » 07 May 2020, 11:48

DevonST {l Wrote}:Music and atmosphere are very good! Using Spikys as guard is really clever!

Thank you very much! I did try and build atmosphere and story at the start and I'm glad it worked out. I think certain CoD Modern Warfare 2 Spec Op stealth missions were my main inspiration.

DevonST {l Wrote}:But I don’t think that I did the section shown in the screenshot right. I just damage-boosted through the Spiky and the projectiles from the cannon. I also didn’t know what to do in the next section at first but when I activated the cannon by accident I could escape.

Yep, those sections are probably the most confusing bits. I don't think there is a way to make it through without becoming small Tux (that was on purpose, I didn't want 'throw fire at them' to be a solution to all enemies!), so if you don't care about coins then that is a legitimate solution and I've done the same while testing.
To 'do it properly' (as if that matters at all ;) ) I use the top spikes to intentionally lose health and become small, collect the coins then climb up the rope using the moving platform as cover to prevent the ispy from seeing me. Then I climb down and run up to the guard and retreat up the ladder so it can't hurt me. That takes far more time though...
The next part (with the falling block) has two solutions. The original 'proper' solution is using the falling block to protect from the darts (getting good timing is medium/hard), then I later added a non-obvious second solution where Tux can turn off the cannon.
The icy treasure room is the one I was afraid was the least obvious, where I used scripting to activate the cannon on contact. Since the game doesn't normally work that way, I can only hope players discover that feature!

DevonST {l Wrote}:With all those script triggers in the level, this level must have been a nightmare to make, but I enjoyed it.

Haha yes, a little bit, but worth it! I'm glad you like it :)

(PS: all scripting is, of course, free to use and modify. Attribution appreciated but not required)
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Nickerson Romero » 07 May 2020, 23:04

oh my god I think I'll use the big one
Nickerson Romero

Postby tempAnon093 » 08 May 2020, 01:57

Nickerson Romero {l Wrote}:oh my god I think I'll use the big one

? :? ?
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 08 May 2020, 13:41

Well I Didn't Do All Of The Level...

Still Good To Be Honest.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby tempAnon093 » 10 Apr 2023, 02:24

Just an update on this: a coding regression broke this level in v6.2 and v6.3, which has now been fixed (thank you!). I think there were tiling changes and minor physics changes too, so I will need to re-do the graphics and adjust some small parts for when v6.4 comes out.

So if you want to try this level properly, you will have to install SuperTux v6.1.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Captain_Anything » 08 May 2023, 19:09

I played this and it took me 3 hours... - I died multiple times. About maybe 50+ :)
Y'know, I am a good forest level-maker. But it's sad that most times I'm on a
macbook with "securly" installed...
Captain_Anything