"My First Level!!1"

"My First Level!!1"

Postby tempAnon093 » 24 Apr 2020, 06:09

Yet another snow map. Nice and simple.
Or is it?

Post feedback if you want to see more, comments are always appreciated!

Playthoughs of the level:
Don't watch until you play, contains spoilers!!
PeerTube link
Attachments
G4aP-My First Level.zip
(8.2 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Re: "My First Level!!1"

Postby DevonST » 24 Apr 2020, 09:20

You should be aware that players don’t have the same knowledge about your level that you have when they play your level the first time. In the second secret area you get hurt by a falling ice crusher. It’s not possible to react that quickly. The same goes for the third secret area where you fall into a pit. The last section felt very clumsy. That’s not the type of section you would expect to see in a SuperTux level. It’s also not good that the section is nearly-impossible without a powerup.

That secret ending was really clever though (the only thing that I didn’t find myself). You seem to be a very good SuperTux player and you are familiar with the level editor. Next time use these skills to make an enjoyable level even if that means to make a more “plain” or “boring” level like the official ones!
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby tempAnon093 » 24 Apr 2020, 11:54

Thanks for the critique and comments :)

DevonST {l Wrote}:You should be aware that players don’t have the same knowledge about your level that you have when they play your level the first time. In the second secret area you get hurt by a falling ice crusher. It’s not possible to react that quickly. The same goes for the third secret area where you fall into a pit.

This is intended behavior. The level was supposed to be unexpected and surprising without being time-wasting and complex. (The first section and title are intended to trick the player into expecting a normal level)
The secrets are completely optional to those who do not care about full completion which I feel justifies my abuse of them as challenges. Of course, this would not be appropriate if I were trying to make an official level.

DevonST {l Wrote}:The last section felt very clumsy. That’s not the type of section you would expect to see in a SuperTux level. It’s also not good that the section is nearly-impossible without a powerup.

That is fair enough, I agree with you. Again, being experimental and unexpected is not a bad thing in my own opinion, but it is very difficult to complete without a powerup which is not great. It is rather clumsy.

DevonST {l Wrote}:That secret ending was really clever though (the only thing that I didn’t find myself).

I found it by accident while backflipping and made it a feature ;) I wouldn't have found it myself if I didn't play-test the ending 30 times!

DevonST {l Wrote}:You seem to be a very good SuperTux player and you are familiar with the level editor. Next time use these skills to make an enjoyable level even if that means to make a more “plain” or “boring” level like the official ones!

Haha, I might give that a try, although people familiar with my SuperTuxKart add-ons know how much I love trying something new.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby DevonST » 24 Apr 2020, 19:08

Now I see… For a parody of first levels this is a very good level. The title "My First Level!!1" is a strong hint yet I didn’t notice. The last section involved me making a plan how to beat it and duck jumping when the ceiling was low. You could say that it is a puzzle section (but still an unfair puzzle).
I made a worldmap, see “Puzzles or Platforms?
DevonST

Postby CJK » 25 Apr 2020, 13:39

When I played the level, I had a different approach for the last part (I even did not found the "normal" way to finish).
I don't know if this ending is intended, but it is not mentioned in your tutorial video.

I made a video to show you what I mean:
https://youtu.be/RZUpXBPboxI
CJK

Postby tempAnon093 » 26 Apr 2020, 10:04

CJK {l Wrote}:When I played the level, I had a different approach for the last part (I even did not found the "normal" way to finish).
I don't know if this ending is intended, but it is not mentioned in your tutorial video.

It is not intended, but it is very impressive! Well done.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby Busybody43 » 05 May 2020, 15:15

so you accidently made a good level, while trying to make a "so bad, it's good" type of level... oops...
Busybody43