Level Design tutorial series

Level Design tutorial series

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 02 Dec 2021, 17:45

Hi Guys, some of you may know I have spent the past 2 years working on a new map that I've yet to formally announce.

During my design process of my new map, I've learnt a lot of new things about design I never really had. So I decided I am going to do a level design tutorial series. The first episode is already out, and focuses on making your levels interesting, varied, and pretty. It goes over basic concepts everyone should try to embody. Of course, not every rule should be followed - these are guidelines. But if you're going to not follow the rules you need to do it with reasoned thought. Otherwise learn the basics first, then redefine the rules.

The first video is linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh27BDFIa4k

Anyway, I'm not sure when I'll release the announcement trailer to my world map, but a release date has been made and will be announced during the trailer.

If you've got any questions pls put them below or on the video.
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator

Re: Level Design tutorial series

Postby watercolours » 03 Dec 2021, 02:13

please no nightly
my discord, for any purpose: watercolours#0234
watercolours

Postby AllyTheOcelot » 03 Dec 2021, 17:01

Hi there. If you're not using nightly's to design levels you've already committed you're first level design sin. Nightlies reflect what the game will be like in the future more than the last main version could. So it therefore makes sense to make levels based around the features of the newer version.

If you're going to make a stage - and it gets outdated within the next update - your map wont be fun. There's so many interesting mechanics being introduced to the game now, so you either use it or suffer in the dust
Mewo
AllyTheOcelot
SuperTux Moderator

Postby Vankata453 » 09 Dec 2021, 20:28

watercolours {l Wrote}:please no nightly

I want to add that using a SuperTux Nightly version for creating levels will not only allow you to use new tiles or features, but will also give you the opportunity to use some new features for the editor itself, which will really help you with level creation in general.

Autotiling, for example, is a feature I really like, because it helps creating the terrain for levels quickly, without placing each title by hand. It allows you to focus more on the decoration of the level, setting up mechanics, etc... It doesn't currently support all terrain tiles, but with time, it should.

There are also many other changes like that, some smaller, some bigger, and in the future there will be more. That's just one reason why using Nightlies is currently a great idea for creating levels! :)
Vankata453