How did the SuperTux Team make graphics?

How did the SuperTux Team make graphics?

Postby P-Star7 » 16 Mar 2017, 02:56

Hi there, I like a lot the graphics of SuperTux, especially the old icy ones that Grumbel (right?) made, such as the snow tileset, the snowballs, Tux, etc. How was this done? I'm not trying to make as big of a resolution as SuperTux, but drawing with a mouse is kind of hard to translate from your hand to the screen. Do a lot of you artists use tablets or something?
P-Star7

Re: How did the SuperTux Team make graphics?

Postby BlasterMaster » 16 Mar 2017, 22:41

I haven't been hear long, but as an armature artist, I would say using a tablet has definitely helped. Especially when designing concept art.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Re: How did the SuperTux Team make graphics?

Postby sirwillperkins » 22 Mar 2017, 05:20

Have to say although I use tablet for inking and coloring I still enjoy penciling sketches traditionally because its quicker for my workflow. no boot up time or loading program just a mechanical pencil and paperpad can be brought anywhere without batteries etc. then just scan when home and work in GIMP or KRITA etc I find the quicker one can put down ideas with concepts the better then flesh out later. given the resolution of SuperTux resources one could theoretically actually create assets using traditional art painting then rescale and properly image compress while maintaining quality, yet I imagine keeping consistency might be challenging if not done right.
sirwillperkins