Unwanted differences in mechanics

Unwanted differences in mechanics

Postby PalMz17 » 30 Nov 2016, 04:24

I have been playing SuperTux version 1.3 for a long time, and I suddenly got an idea to Google search for any updates - and here it is, a lot of impressive work! I especially appreciate the ability to scroll in all directions, that function itself gives so much more level designing possibilities. Love that! :heart:

I have found a newer function where the hostile objects gets killed whenever they get stuck into each other. This change makes it impossible to stack multiple hostiles in the same point, like making a tougher hostile object. I used to do this often in the older version of the game, and I find it sad to lose such an awesome thing. And if you didn't place your hostiles in the exact same point - they would levitate up instead, creating a hostile object rainstorm... which I also found really fun to do, it makes this simple game much more challening! I just don't get the point... if you design your own level, you place the objects in the way you want, you can even use the grid. Why would you ever want your designed, intented hostile objects to die at the same moment as they spawn?
There is also another mechanical function... when hostiles stand on each others' head, and gets of, they will step down in an immediate motion, like teleporting or the way games usally handle stairsteps. This will get the hostiles to get stuck in each other and sadly die even more... I don't get this point neither... because, it looks bad without the falling physics that even existed in the 1.3 version.

I suggest a level property setting for the "kill-stuck-hostiles" function, and if possible - a setting for the wierd "stair-stepping" of hostiles stepping on each other.
PalMz17

Re: Unwanted differences in mechanics

Postby Hume2 » 30 Nov 2016, 19:23

I'm glad that you like the new version.

It's no longer advertised (and I don't know if it ever was) to place hordes of badguys. Maybe you'd like to use dispensers instead. It works quite similar and it's far easier to control. Just place the dispenser somewhere, use the right click to open its menu and then you can choose which badguys it should spawn and how often.

For the badguys standing on themselves, I've already noticed that there's something wrong. They actually don't teleport downwards, their on-ground-flag isn't updated, so they continue in the same falling velocity as if they didn't hit the ground in-between. This is actually a bug, I'll try to fix that. I think, it was caused because the badguys was used to squish themselves as of 0.3.0, which was removed in 0.3.4, but this behaviour wasn't fixed. Unfortunately, it shouldn't be turned back to the 0.1.3 behaviour, because this might break the current levels.
Hume2

Re: Unwanted differences in mechanics

Postby PalMz17 » 01 Dec 2016, 00:44

Ah okay, those dispensers actually sound interesting!

Thank you for your detailed reply, it makes much more sense now.
PalMz17