Postby moochinook » 17 Sep 2016, 23:54

logo proposal
free font:Palamecia Titling
Attachments
ST2_Logo.png
moochinook

Re: logo proposal

Postby Serano » 18 Sep 2016, 08:41

Nice idea, but in my opinion way too colourful, and the name of the game is still only "SuperTux". It's not a sequel of anything. :)
SuperTux Team Member
Serano

Postby mteufel » 18 Sep 2016, 09:10

First of all, we don't need a new logo. The current one is good enough.

Furthermore:

• What is the "2" supposed to mean? Milestones aren't a thing anymore. Version numbers are.
  • Please don't include the version number in the logo. It's not supposed to be there.
  • Please don't include a license in the logo. It's not supposed to be there either.
  • This is indeed too colorful.
  • I don't think this font can be used, due to licensing reasons.
  • And again, our current logo fits within SuperTux, and is good.

If you want to help with graphics, I suggest you to take a look at https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/TODO#graphics.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby moochinook » 18 Sep 2016, 11:32

First of all, we don't need a new logo. The current one is good enough.

Well, i was wondering if it couldn't be improved and gave it a shot.

What is the "2" supposed to mean? Milestones aren't a thing anymore. Version numbers are.

My bad.

Please don't include the version number in the logo. It's not supposed to be there.

I thought it would make it easier to keep track of the installed version.

Please don't include a license in the logo. It's not supposed to be there either.

I like it. What about a copyleft sign?

This is indeed too colorful.

Since it's a video game i felt like adding some happy and cheerful vibes to it.

I don't think this font can be used, due to licensing reasons.

What exactly makes you think that? The font is not embedded. It's a .png file. The read-this.html file that comes with it says the use for logos is allowed.
http://www.dafont.com/de/search.php?q=Palamecia+Titling

And again, our current logo fits within SuperTux, and is good.

i totally agree. I just felt like adding some spice. :heart: No hard feelings.
moochinook

Postby moochinook » 18 Sep 2016, 13:47

... and the name of the game is still only "SuperTux".
Attachments
g14857.png
moochinook

Postby mteufel » 18 Sep 2016, 14:54

moochinook {l Wrote}:I thought it would make it easier to keep track of the installed version.

The version number is already shown on the main menu. No need for it elsewhere, it just adds clutter to the logo, that has to be changed for every release then.

moochinook {l Wrote}:I like it. What about a copyleft sign?

General license information about most parts is provided in the main menu, more exact licensing information in the data files. Since some parts of the game are licensed differently it makes no sense to put that in the logo.

moochinook {l Wrote}:Since it's a video game i felt like adding some happy and cheerful vibes to it.

It doesn't fit to the general style.

moochinook {l Wrote}:What exactly makes you think that? The font is not embedded. It's a .png file. The read-this.html file that comes with it says the use for logos is allowed.
http://www.dafont.com/de/search.php?q=Palamecia+Titling

The font is covered under an EULA, which makes it proprietary and not usable in a free/libre/open source game.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby mteufel » 18 Sep 2016, 14:57

To make it clear: you're free to work on something we need (https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/TODO#graphics), but please don't waste your time on something we can't use anyway.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby charlie » 18 Sep 2016, 20:40

Well I like it, if it's any consolation. I also quite approve of the "2" too since IMHO SuperTux 1 was the much played and much loved 0.1.x series that my eldest son remembers as his favourite childhood game (ages ~5-10, he's 16 now). Versioning is over emphasised in open source games. IMHO Milestone 2 is evolving into a new game.

As for too colourful, really? This is a game that kids love. Really, too colourful?

Of course, I'm not a decision maker on the project, that's just my opinion.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby moochinook » 18 Sep 2016, 21:31

The font is covered under an EULA, which makes it proprietary and not usable in a free/libre/open source game.

As far as i understand the terms it would be alright to use the font to create a title/logo even for an free/libre/open source game.

Thanks for downloading a free font from Typodermic Fonts Inc. This font is free for commercial use. Read the attached license agreement for details.

furthermore ...

Allowed: art, sign, poster, banner, book, business card, album, movie, television, logo, trademarked logo, clothing, sticker, stamp, product label, web page (not embedded), app (not embedded), PDF (not editable)

You are not supposed to embed the font file in an editable way. Which is not the case concerning the title graphic.

you're free to work on something we need

Thank you for the offer! I will come back to you next year since i am rather busy at the moment.
I plan to get more involved with super tux in the future.
Keep up the good work.
moochinook

Postby moochinook » 23 Sep 2016, 17:25

For those who wanna give it a try just copy the logo.png file to:
SuperTux/data/images/engine/menu

(make sure you keep a copy of the original logo.png - just in case)

:heart: :sa:

@ charlie - thanks for your feedback!
Attachments
logo.png
logo.png (87.27 KiB) Viewed 23044 times
moochinook

Postby mteufel » 23 Sep 2016, 18:08

The license makes it clear the font is proprietary and subject to restrictions that are not compatible with the GPL or CC-BY-SA.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby typodermic » 24 Sep 2016, 01:36

I'm Ray Larabie, the creator of Palamecia Titling. Thanks for choosing my font for your game title.; it looks great. With the desktop license, the end user is the designer. It doesn't extend to products. All the boilerplate about liability and stuff... that's for the designer using the font. When you use any of my fonts in accordance to the EULA to create a graphic, that graphic is unaffected by the agreement. It's all yours. You can trademark it, copyright it...anything you like. There are font EULAs that extend to products so it's important to check. Not so common but they exist. If you want to generate vector graphics and embed those graphics in the game, that's not considered embedding. It would be the same as using bitmap graphics.

The license would only affect your game if the font data were embedded since that's a violation of the EULA. For embedded fonts there's a different license agreement and it's possibly not compatible with your project..
typodermic

Postby moochinook » 25 Sep 2016, 10:47

Hey Ray, thanks for clarifying the matter. So all that is left to do is to release the logo.png under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license. That's easy.

Link to the CC Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

I hereby confirm that i am the author of the file logo.png which i release here on the forum under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
moochinook

Postby moochinook » 16 Oct 2016, 19:58

This is how the logo could look like on the st-website.
Attachments
banner_mockup.png
moochinook

Postby Akien » 16 Oct 2016, 21:12

For what it's worth, I also find it looks cool :) Especially the frozen SUPER is nice, for the multicolor TUX part I'm not so sure, but why not.
I don't think there's a wish right now upstream to change the logo, but I do agree that the current one is a bit oldish and could use an upgrade.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby moochinook » 16 Oct 2016, 21:21

title only
Attachments
title_proposal.png
title proposal
moochinook

Postby RustyBox » 16 Oct 2016, 21:48

I must say that the banner image looks really nice in its design. Even though there could be some improvements like the bouncing snowball shouldn't be placed directly on the ground.
SuperTux Level+Worldmap Designer, Artist and Story Writer
RustyBox

Postby Nitro Ninja » 17 Oct 2016, 10:31

Looks great!
Nitro Ninja

Postby Alzter » 21 Oct 2016, 00:52

Yes, It's pretty neat!
Alzter

Postby moochinook » 21 Oct 2016, 12:55

development version mock up
Attachments
development_version.png
moochinook

Postby moochinook » 21 Oct 2016, 13:16

font:
Evilborn by Jon Lang
Public domain / GPL / OFL
http://www.dafont.com/evilborn.font
moochinook

Postby mteufel » 29 Oct 2016, 11:50

moochinook,

Could you please stop working on this? First of all, whether or not a font creator comments on this thread I still see this EULA as too restrictive. Second, it's SuperTux, not SUPERTUX. Furthermore, this style (glossy stuff, your style of shadowing, the detailed patterns inside the letters, and the colors) do not really fit into SuperTux. They might fit into another game, but they absolutely don't fit here.

And last, and most importantly, we don't need this. Sorry, but working on this is absolutely pointless.

It wastes your and our time. It wastes your time because it won't go into the game, for reasons mentioned above. It wastes our time, because we have to say this. Repeatedly.

And we don't need it, because we're in way more urgent need of other stuff that would actually advance the game. Just have a look at https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/TODO#graphics or mail me (my forum username at supertuxproject.org) to see what we're in need of. And try to follow the guide at http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gimp/drawing/ at least for stuff that only changes existing things.

I'm absolutely sure you can work on something that's useful to us. But working on random things on your own is not going to get anyone to that goal.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby moochinook » 29 Oct 2016, 14:04

Could you please stop working on this?

I will. Good luck with YOUR project. :heart:
moochinook

Postby moochinook » 29 Oct 2016, 18:45

changed my mind - sorry for the confusion :heart:
moochinook