CheeseMan - Moded Supertux

CheeseMan - Moded Supertux

Postby eliminator » 23 Jun 2013, 18:08

CheeseMan is a full game complete with 7 original level packed worlds and all new graphics. sound, and music.
It is based of of the Supertux game, but takes advantage of many newly coded features that Supertux has yet to add in their levels.

Download it here.

Check it on steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

Game Play video:

youtu.be/6r7Ga8qgQj4

Screen Shots:

Last edited by eliminator on 22 Jun 2015, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube, my FaceBook, and my Mods!
eliminator

Re: CheeseMan - Moded Supertux

Postby LMH » 09 Jul 2013, 00:41

Well this didn't work when I first installed it, but when I finally decided to take another crack it was already working (I think I needed a restart). You obviously put a lot of time into this- I wish I could get that sort of effort on SuperTux :P Anyway, I really liked some of the graphics you used. For example, I'd love to steal the fish graphic to replace the horrific one in SuperTux, or maybe some variation so as to not impose on your work. And is there any way I could get a coin graphic modified to have a fish on it instead of the triangle? Anyway, good job. I have yet to play all the way through, but I do intend to.
LMH

Postby eliminator » 09 Jul 2013, 01:48

I'm glad your playing it! If you find any problems/bugs please let me know.

I'm glad you like some of my art, and yes, the coin could be modified to have a fish.

I would love for graphics I made to be in SuperTux, in fact if you need something done and none of you usual graphic guys are around I could help.
eliminator

Postby LMH » 13 Jul 2013, 23:31

Well I think these days "usual graphic guys" = NILL. So you're more than welcomed to help contribute.
LMH

Postby Sauer2 » 06 Aug 2013, 23:10

It's cool, especially the sound when you drop a block. :)
Sauer2

Postby SuperMat » 13 Oct 2013, 17:27

Could you share the source code (SuperTux is open source)? I would try to build it on Mac
IRC: mt/mteufel @ freenode
SuperMat

Postby GiBy » 30 Oct 2013, 17:08

Very nice graphism… Are we allowed to still some for ST milestone 2?
GiBy

Postby gouessej » 07 Apr 2014, 09:59

SuperMat {l Wrote}:Could you share the source code (SuperTux is open source)?

Yes Super Tux is under GPL as far as I know. Therefore, Eliminator should publish the source code under GPL too.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
gouessej

Postby LMH » 08 Apr 2014, 07:53

I don't think that the source code was actually changed for this mod. Only the content has changed (images, sounds, music, levels, basically anything that is located in the data directory). Although please correct me if I'm wrong.
LMH

Postby gouessej » 08 Apr 2014, 20:08

Actually, he modified the source code. I asked him to publish his source code, he wanted to do so but he said he had some problems of bandwidth :s
gouessej

Postby onpon4 » 08 Apr 2014, 21:11

I asked him about this in an email last month. At first he said to "get supertux's code", but I told him that's not enough and as of about two weeks ago he said he would upload it (and he confirmed this again a week ago). I'm still waiting; I can't say I understand what's taking so long.
onpon4

Postby gouessej » 09 Apr 2014, 16:37

@onpon4 Do you think he doesn't want to release the source code? He said he couldn't upload a folder on Sourceforge. Then, I suggested him to make an archive of this folder, use a code versioning system (svn or git) or put those folders into the web space with Filezilla. I will send him a screen capture showing the parameters that he has to set in Filezilla to make it work.

I'm really shocked by this situation. Supertux is under GPL and this guy dares publishing binaries with no source code.
gouessej

Postby charlie » 09 Apr 2014, 17:37

this guy dares

Hey now, maybe he just hasn't got much time or doesn't quite get certain things. Maybe he's unaware of how the whole open source thing works? If he was intent on just keeping this to himself, he would not have posted here. He'd have tried to sell his game somewhere and show that kind of pathological behaviour.

No, he brings it here and says it was based on SuperTux. He's not "daring" to do anything. He just needs prodding in order to produce his modifications (assuming there are any, it's not even clear that there definitely are).

takes advantage of many newly coded features that Supertux has yet to add in their levels

Sounds to me like he's talking about features already in the SuperTux code just not in the game's official levels.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby eliminator » 09 Apr 2014, 18:03

Hi, sorry about the source code thing, I didn't post it because I assumed that no none would ever want it.
And because I literally only changed the text on the menu, and a few other minor things.
I tried to upload it to source forge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cheeseman
But it wont let me upload folders, I could make a archive but then I would have to upload the whole thing at once (700 MB) which is big for my bandwidth.

EDIT: Is there a way to follow a topic and get email notifications about posts?
eliminator

Postby onpon4 » 09 Apr 2014, 18:28

Use the 7-zip (*.7z) format. 7-zip archives can be split into several files. You can use 7-zip (http://7-zip.org) if you're on Windows, or basically any archive manager (e.g. File Roller) on other systems.
onpon4

Postby eliminator » 09 Apr 2014, 18:36

I didn't know that 7z could be split up, but I would rather put it up on source-forge. If that doesn't work Ill do the 7z thing.
eliminator

Postby KroArtem » 09 Apr 2014, 20:22

Since you've modified only source code and added your own graphics you don't have to upload graphics to comply GPL. Also you don't have to provide binaries/compiled version, just sources, that wouldn't be so heavy in size.
KroArtem

Postby Akien » 09 Apr 2014, 21:35

KroArtem {l Wrote}:Since you've modified only source code and added your own graphics you don't have to upload graphics to comply GPL. Also you don't have to provide binaries/compiled version, just sources, that wouldn't be so heavy in size.

Though uploading everything would be nice, to let people just download the source and compile the game themselves, without having to download the binary package and copy the data to the right place in the source directory.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby KroArtem » 09 Apr 2014, 22:43

Since it looked like some people above here were quite anxious about GPL violation, I suggested the fastest and easiest way to calm them down.
/me practically imagines gouessej and onpon4 eager to modify source code to do it better, safer and faster.
KroArtem

Postby onpon4 » 09 Apr 2014, 23:48

I just want the source code (and the four freedoms with that source code) out of principle. All software must be free/libre, so if I'm not able to get the source code to a program, I'm not going to use it. That includes games. Since Cheeseman is based on a GPLed work and looks interesting, I'm asking for the problem to be fixed, rather than ignoring it like most other proprietary software games.
onpon4

Postby charlie » 09 Apr 2014, 23:59

eliminator {l Wrote}:EDIT: Is there a way to follow a topic and get email notifications about posts?

Ctrl-F Subscribe topic

(Hint: it's at the top right of the topic page)

Thanks for coming back to stop these chickens clucking. Not everybody checks these forums daily, but it seems not all of us understand this!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby gouessej » 10 Apr 2014, 11:55

I agree with onpon4. Moreover, there is no Linux 32 bits binary, I would like to fix that if possible. Maybe someone else could even package it as a DEB or RPM package.

Edit.: Why is Flash required to watch the video? It would be fine to convert it into WebM with ffmpeg (-i) and upload it onto GNU Mediagoblin.
gouessej

Postby eliminator » 10 Apr 2014, 17:20

There is a Linux 32 bit binary, and the video is on youtube so if you can't watch it you can't watch practically anything on the internet.
eliminator

Postby gouessej » 11 Apr 2014, 09:46

eliminator {l Wrote}:There is a Linux 32 bit binary

Thanks. Last week, there was a Linux 64 bits binary but no 32 bits binary, it's better now :)

eliminator {l Wrote}:, and the video is on youtube so if you can't watch it you can't watch practically anything on the internet.

It depends on the format of the original video you upload on Youtube; if you use a couple of codecs that can't be supported by the HTML5 player and the web browser, then it will try to use the Flash player as a fallback and if Flash isn't installed, obviously it won't work. I succeed in using GNU Gnash on some machines. Sorry to contradict you but I can watch tons of things on Internet without Flash and you would get a little bit wider audience if you posted the video of your game on GNU Mediagoblin as there are only a very few videos of games for the moment. You can use your file as is without converting it if you're lazy:
http://roaming-initiative.com/mediagoblin/
I can do it for you but for legal reasons it's better when the creator of a game does it by himself (especially in your case as your video is under Youtube standard license).

On Linux, the team recommends using cards from NVidia with the proprietary drivers

:(

Thank you for having uploaded your game on Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cheeseman/files/?source=navbar
gouessej

Postby onpon4 » 11 Apr 2014, 10:00

gouessej {l Wrote}:Thank you for having uploaded your game on Sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cheeseman/files/?source=navbar

I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful, but this is unreasonably impractical. To download this, I would have to go through and download each and every one of these files separately. There are hundreds of these files!

Please, eliminator, group them together somehow. If you need to upload small files, use the 7-zip format and split it into however many files you need to make them small enough. Archives like this are what you're supposed to put on SourceForge's Files section, not all the various components separately!
onpon4