Translations and pot updates

Translations and pot updates

Postby Knitter » 14 Feb 2012, 22:58

Hi,

I just looked at the Supertux code and was looking at a way to easily translate the game for Portuguese. I know there is already a translation but it's outdated and uses words that are not common in Portugal, so, I did a small test and translated the main po file. Now I was wondering how update are the files and how often are they updated?

Do I need to manually generate the pot files and update the corresponding po for my language or are the files updated automatically? Also what is Portuguese (normal)? It's written in the wiki and listed as one variant of Portuguese but makes no sense to me :D.

Also, should I post the files in the bug tracker as the wiki states or is there any other, preferred, method?

Regards,

Knitter
Knitter

Re: Translations and pot updates

Postby ctdabomb » 14 Feb 2012, 23:06

thanks for making a translation. I do not know all the details about translating since I speak english, but you should upload it to the bug tracker though.
thanks,
CT. da'Bomb
https://supertux.lethargik.org/bugs/my_view_page.php
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby GiBy » 14 Feb 2012, 23:28

Knitter {l Wrote}:Hi,
Do I need to manually generate the pot files and update the corresponding po for my language or are the files updated automatically? Also what is Portuguese (normal)? It's written in the wiki and listed as one variant of Portuguese but makes no sense to me :D.

No :)

If there is already an existing translation in portuguese you do not need to generate them... it would be even easier to start from them....
Open them with poedit (much more safer than using a text editor)

After cheaking, there is only the general menu translated in portugeese.

You need to generate the pot file : with makepot.sh (http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Translation) then using poedit safe translation is easy :)
I did the last french translation I may adice you ;)

Before giving you translation for update, you may send it to me to cheak it :) make it test for language quality by friends, go on the IRC of supertux, and create a bug to give your patch.... when it is finished ;)
GiBy

Postby Knitter » 14 Feb 2012, 23:34

I'm using Virtaal, PoEdit's last version crashed too much on OS X while translating for other projects and I switched, let's see how I'll handle the new tool :)

I've already updated the existing translation and am waiting for the confirmation e-mail from the bug tracker so that I can post my po file. I'll be translating the existing levels in the next days.

I was a bit puzzled since all projects I have worked on that used gettext maintained their pot files in the repository, but I've followed the wiki page about translations and have everything working.

Regards,

Knitter
Knitter

Postby Knitter » 14 Feb 2012, 23:47

Created the ticket, sorry for not posting the two files in one single zip, forgot about the desktop file :( .

https://supertux.lethargik.org/bugs/view.php?id=922
Knitter

Postby ctdabomb » 14 Feb 2012, 23:50

Knitter: in response to you updating question on the bug tracker, you can update it here by uploading your newer files there.
a couple of suggestions:
If you are uploading multiple files, upload them as a .zip(or other)
if you are uploading newer version of the files please name them like PT.zip, PTversion2.zip, etc...
sorry if you already knew this, but I thought it would help.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Knitter » 14 Feb 2012, 23:56

Yeah, I noticed that I should zip everything. Something to remember next time :)
Knitter

Postby GiBy » 15 Feb 2012, 10:51

Knitter {l Wrote}:Yeah, I noticed that I should zip everything. Something to remember next time :)

For ST translations, better than zipped, it is to make a patch :)

Is there anyone having try your files before uploading them? It may be usefull, cus sometime the codage is differant from a computer to another, leading to bugs.... you should have tried them on Linux/OSX/Windows to ensure nothing bugs... and you should have asked to someone else speaking portugueese to play with your name in order to cheak them
GiBy

Postby Knitter » 15 Feb 2012, 12:00

GiBy {l Wrote}:For ST translations, better than zipped, it is to make a patch :)

I would have created a patch but the wiki page says to upload the files to the tracker or send to the mailing list. I'll branch my changes and provide a patch when I update the translation next time.

GiBy {l Wrote}:Is there anyone having try your files before uploading them? It may be usefull, cus sometime the codage is differant from a computer to another, leading to bugs.... you should have tried them
on Linux/OSX/Windows to ensure nothing bugs... and you should have asked to someone else speaking portugueese to play with your name in order to cheak them

I have, at the moment, no way to check the files in other systems, I can't compile ST on Windows and have no Linux box available, I can only compile and test in OS X. Still, I've checked the encoding, all my tools use UTF8, and tested the translation in-game. As for another user, I've asked for a review from other Portuguese speaking users and got no complaints, there may be some updates to the current translation as I go over the texts in the game.

Nevertheless, the translation can only be properly tested if other users play the game in Portuguese and I can only do that by making the files public :)
Knitter

Postby ctdabomb » 15 Feb 2012, 15:08

patches or .zips are fine, though patches probably are better. I am glad you tested them on your computer, and now that they are uploaded to the bugtracker, others can tests them. About sending to the mailing list, you can do that, but send a link to your work(that's preferably on the tracker) because the mailing list scrubs all attachments.
ctdabomb

Postby GiBy » 28 Oct 2013, 18:38

Now, translation are manage on transifex : https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/supertux/
No other submission will be allowed
GiBy