I can help with music and audio mixing/mastering

I can help with music and audio mixing/mastering

Postby DouglasDGI » 15 Jan 2019, 00:59

(Warning: I've never been on any forum site before, I don't know how this stuff works)

Hello! I'm a very experienced user of the open source music making program known as LMMS. I have also been working on developing that program for a few months now. It has been a lot of fun.

Many years ago, I had a Linux computer and no internet. My dad put the default Linux repo on a 3 TB external drive and gave it to me, and Supertux was one of the few games on there that I found enjoyable. It has a very special place in my childhood, and I would like to contribute to it, either through my 15000 hours of music experience or my 10 years of programming experience.

I would love to contribute to the soundtrack. The music I make tends to be on the weird side, but it always well-produced. I'm probably best with the most intense of boss fights and the most gentle of soundscapes, and nothing in between. :lol:

I can also help with the mixing/mastering of the songs already in the soundtrack. I have attached an example of the best mastering I could do with Chipdisko, which I could have accomplished a bit better if I had the instrument stems (who owns the project files?), but is still an improvement for most listening devices. Turn your volume down when you listen to it by the way, I exported it at 0 db. The volume can be turned down later if needed, obviously. That's only mastering, not mixing, since mixing isn't possible without access to the individual instruments. With mixing, it would sound much more clear and wider. Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15T_qKX ... sp=sharing It is just a quick example, NOT a finished product, as I would need the individual instruments to allow it to reach its full potential.

I'll also include one of my recent (but very unfinished) songs, just to show what I can do. I am aware that this style of music in no way suitable for Supertux because of its overall vibe and emotion. It's just an example. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLpCHc ... sp=sharing
I'm very bendy as a producer. If you tell me to make something I can probably do it to some extent, no matter the vibe or emotion you're going for.

I'm also a sound designer (I'm honestly better at sound design than with music production...), so I can make professional-quality ambience and sound effects as well.

All in all, just use me and abuse me, I'm here. :lol:
I love helping with free software projects.

Is there anything I can help out with?
DouglasDGI

Re: I can help with music and audio mixing/mastering

Postby BlasterMaster » 16 Jan 2019, 07:00

https://uploadfiles.io/6ij7h

I made a possible new soundtrack.
You love goats, not me.
BlasterMaster

Postby DouglasDGI » 17 Jan 2019, 02:46

BlasterMaster {l Wrote}:https://uploadfiles.io/6ij7h

I made a possible new soundtrack.

Can you export the stems (almost all music-making programs have this option) and send them to me via Google Drive or anything else you prefer? Without access to the individual tracks I can only do some mastering, no mixing.
DouglasDGI

Postby Alzter » 17 Jan 2019, 02:52

Your chipdisko master sounds okay but I don't hear much change besides a reverb filter. Does tracked music / chiptunes always need to be excessively reverberated or muffled to sound good nowadays?
Last edited by Alzter on 17 Jan 2019, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.
Alzter

Postby Alzter » 17 Jan 2019, 02:53

The chipdisko music stems are accesible if you can get the source .mod file and open it with a mod tracker. The source is available in SuperTux Milestone 1 under the music folder.
Alzter

Postby DouglasDGI » 17 Jan 2019, 17:53

Alzter {l Wrote}:Your chipdisko master sounds okay but I don't hear much change besides a reverb filter. Does tracked music / chiptunes always need to be excessively reverberated or muffled to sound good nowadays?

I did add some subtle reverb and delay to help fill the frequency spectrum, but perhaps it wasn't subtle enough. I can turn that down if you want. The human ear tends to greatly prefer songs that cover the whole audible frequency spectrum, and reverb is my favorite way to do that, though I probably threw in too much.

It is also quite different aside from the reverb change, though it would be much more obvious if played side-by-side with the original. I added a multiband compressor and used it to change the song's overall frequency balance so that it will sound better on most listening devices. I also added some gentle saturation as well, to introduce some extra harmonics and make it sound a bit more "full", I guess. I tried not to change it too much from the original.

Alzter {l Wrote}:The chipdisko music stems are accesible if you can get the source .mod file and open it with a mod tracker. The source is available in SuperTux Milestone 1 under the music folder.

I checked, and it does not look like there is a possible way to be able to export every sound individually into its own sound file... I had no idea you guys were using trackers to make this music. You should check out LMMS, it's free/open source and just as good as any professional music making program out there. But I guess that's a bit off-topic.

I do have a method to convert MOD files to MIDI files, but that only copies the notes over, not the instruments. So I guess that means I can't really help with mixing that much, unfortunately.

I can still definitely help with the music creation though. Are there any parts of the soundtrack that haven't been made yet but need to be? I could make something for that, and if you don't like it you could simply reject it or tell me what to change. I work better with songs that are focused at least slightly more on sound design than melody (e.g. parts of SALCON). I synthesize all of my sounds myself, so I'm very flexible in that area. I'm also decent with faster, more rhythmic music (e.g. Fortress 2), but I can definitely make very slow stuff as well. Is there anything you would like me to try?
DouglasDGI

Postby Alzter » 19 Jan 2019, 06:16

If you want the chipdisko stems, get the .mod, open it with a tracker (like OpenMPT), mute all the audio channels except one, and then play the track while simultaneously recording it using a computer audio recorder (like Audacity) and repeat for all four of the tracks. As for music you'd like to make, I very much like the style of Fortress2 and would like to hear you try to make something similar to that.
Alzter