SuperTux for iOS again!

SuperTux for iOS again!

Postby DatTuxBoi » 09 Apr 2018, 00:48

:heart: I miss the days where SuperTux 0.1.3 was available on iOS! If you know a working port for ST, comment it here, or make some codesssssss :heart:
Previously known as DatTuxBoi.
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi

Re: SuperTux for iOS again!

Postby brmbrmcar » 09 Apr 2018, 01:16

Solution: send your iPhone into a black hole.

Seriously though, creating SuperTux for iOS would be extremely difficult and not worthwhile. It would be literally illegal to put it on the App store and so you'd have to add it some other way (the devs don't really like breaking laws). iOS is stupid therefore and I hope you remove all devices with it installed from your vicinity.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby DatTuxBoi » 09 Apr 2018, 01:59

brmbrmcar {l Wrote}:Solution: send your iPhone into a black hole.

Seriously though, creating SuperTux for iOS would be extremely difficult and not worthwhile. It would be literally illegal to put it on the App store and so you'd have to add it some other way (the devs don't really like breaking laws). iOS is stupid therefore and I hope you remove all devices with it installed from your vicinity.

And the battle will begin.

There was already a port for iOS, but it got removed. And, even if you can't put it on the App Store, there is no problem in putting it as third-party.
I mean, they even say to use it at your risk... And Apple is, for your knowledge, excellent. The problem is pricing.

Did you even know that there was a port before?
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi

Postby brmbrmcar » 09 Apr 2018, 02:27

Well it must have been removed for a reason.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar

Postby mteufel » 09 Apr 2018, 16:17

Due to the GPL it is illegal to distribute SuperTux via the App Store. It does not matter who uploads SuperTux, what matters is what they upload. If there was already a port of SuperTux on the App Store, then it was illegal and thus removed. Furthermore, third-parties distribute whatever they want. You might not want that code on your device, though, i.e. if there is hidden tracking code. Or, third-parties might set a price for the SuperTux app and then not giving us developers any of the money. That seems like a major issue as well.

Additionally, there is also the political argument: we're open source software. That by itself is a political statement; we do not believe in the distribution of our software on locked in platforms. Feel free to create a port for jailbroken devices though (if that's still a thing).

Edit: to make it clear: in case any new port will show up, it will be reported to Apple for copyright infringement.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby DatTuxBoi » 09 Apr 2018, 19:16

Well, you can put in to download it via website, NOT App Store. It IS possible. (?)
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi

Postby GunChleoc » 11 Apr 2018, 10:52

Yes, that's possible if you can find someone who has the time to create a port.
GunChleoc

Postby mteufel » 11 Apr 2018, 16:14

As far as I know Apple still locks in users to the App Store, you can't download the apps from the website. Did they change that? I doubt it. Note that putting a link on our website to the App Store is not making it any more GPL-legal.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby GunChleoc » 11 Apr 2018, 16:56

You'd have to jailbreak the device, which is both tricky and a legal grey zone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

The download itself would be legal then I guess, because the AppStore restrictions on the software would be gone. Still, this is very low reward for scarce developer time.
GunChleoc

Postby DatTuxBoi » 01 May 2019, 10:14

mteufel {l Wrote}:As far as I know Apple still locks in users to the App Store, you can't download the apps from the website. Did they change that? I doubt it. Note that putting a link on our website to the App Store is not making it any more GPL-legal.

They did change that. I don't know where you get your info but non-App Store .pda files (i think they are .pda's) can be downloaded. I use them.

(also sorry for my fanboying, my Nexus 5 made me wake up and realize Team Android is way better)
I did find a port of Milestone 1 in a random website that looked pretty official. It worked but it often crashed.

again sorry for my fanboying
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi

Postby DatTuxBoi » 01 May 2019, 10:17

mteufel {l Wrote}:Feel free to create a port for jailbroken devices though (if that's still a thing).

Jailbreak is still alive and quite popular.
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi

Postby DatTuxBoi » 01 May 2019, 10:31

[quote="brmbrmcar"]Solution: send your iPhone into a black hole.

Seriously though, creating SuperTux for iOS would be extremely difficult and not worthwhile. It would be literally illegal to put it on the App store and so you'd have to add it some other way (the devs don't really like breaking laws). iOS is stupid therefore and I hope you remove all devices with it installed from your vicinity.[/quote]

The solution is really good, though. I did that. My Nexus Hammerhead aka Nexus 5 is awesome (except for the battery... lasts 2 hours, so i have to walk with a powerbank.).
There's a non-illegal (notice i did not say legal, i said non-illegal) way to add it. Simply put the file online with the download link.
It does work.

also sorry for my fanboying, again, my Nexus 5 made me wake up and realize Team Android is way better
I did find a port of Milestone 1 in a random website that looked pretty official. It worked but it often crashed.

[color=#FFFF40]again sorry for my fanboying[/color]

iOS sucks.
aka Windows Vista

I am a furfag
uwu uwu uwu uwu
DatTuxBoi