No Sound!!!

No Sound!!!

Postby SuperTuxPlayer1234 » 10 Mar 2018, 16:48

Hi everyone!

I'm playing SuperTux 0.3.0 . But when I start the game, I receive a message, "could not find audio device". How can I fix this? I'm wating for your helps.

Have a nice day! :) :)
SuperTuxPlayer1234

Re: No Sound!!!

Postby mteufel » 11 Mar 2018, 15:00

Why are you still playing SuperTux 0.3.0? Please use the current stable release, at the time of writing this v0.5.1. You can get it from https://supertux.org/download.html.
Please install that version, try it again and tell us if the problem is still there.

The content of your message is not enough for us to help you. Does sound work for other software? If not, then you need to fix something else that is unrelated to SuperTux. What operating system or distribution are you using? If on Linux, what are you using for sound (ALSA, PulseAudio, …)? Did it work before? Do you even have a sound card (or something equivalent, like audio output via HDMI) available?
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby SuperTuxPlayer1234 » 11 Mar 2018, 17:11

Hi!
I am playing 0.3.0 because I like it. I don't like other versions. I am using Realtek Hd Audio. I am using windows 10, 64 bit. Sound was working years ago. I don't remember what version of windows it.Probaly xp.Sound works latest version of supertux.But it doesn't work on 0.3.0 . When I open the game, top of the screen, it gives me a message, "could not intialize audio device: could not open audio device." I worked to open sound from settings, but the buttons were passive. How can I fix this? Is the sdl wrong? Sory for my bad english.

Thanks for your helps.
SuperTuxPlayer1234

Postby onpon4 » 12 Mar 2018, 04:01

I am playing 0.3.0 because I like it. I don't like other versions.

Er... why?

0.3.0 was a long time ago, but it was still long enough after 0.1.3 to have incorporated most of be really big changes for Milestone 2. The only possible things I can think of that 0.3.0 has that 0.4.x and later don't are the forest world, Tux losing his fire powerup any time he backflips, and the (in my opinion) absurdly large number of (not very good) music tracks. The forest thing is kind of minor since it still exists as a bonus level last time I checked, the backflip thing I don't see any reason to prefer, and the music thing only showed up with... was it 0.3.4? So you don't need to go that far back.

In any case, what you're going to have to realize is that when someone is developing a game, they don't really have the time or inclination to support old prerelease versions of the game, which is what 0.3.0 was. If you disagree with recent design decisions, I recommend you fork SuperTux and make changes to bring back what you liked from older versions, then maintain that. This is something you have freedom to do since SuperTux is libre. :) You can even take the old codebase from 0.3.0 and fork that if you really want to.
onpon4