Idea: Setting path node speed not time it takes to move.

Idea: Setting path node speed not time it takes to move.

Postby darkhog » 15 Feb 2018, 13:33

Purely as a level editor feature, internally time would still be used. What I mean is to have path node have second parameter, Speed where upon entering it it'll calculate time value based upon such things like distance to the next node and put it in the time field. The speed could be expressed in pixels/frame. The reason I'm asking for such feature is that I've found it to be hard to get an object moving at consistent speed in complex paths with multiple nodes with various distances between them.
darkhog

Re: Idea: Setting path node speed not time it takes to move.

Postby mteufel » 15 Feb 2018, 13:48

I agree with the intention. However: If this is ever implemented, we'll have to keep the time property for the path too, because otherwise it will break old levels.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby darkhog » 15 Feb 2018, 15:19

As I've said, it'd be a purely editor feature - it'd calculate appropriate time based on the distance to the next node and entered speed, engine-wise nothing would change and it'd still use time internally.

In any case, using both should be possible - sometimes you want movement to take specific time and sometimes you really don't care as long as it maintains specific speed.
darkhog

Postby brmbrmcar » 15 Feb 2018, 17:29

I don't think it would be possible to just change it for the editor, because from what the code looks to me it runs directly from information from other non-editing files. But that might be a completely stupid suggestion, I don't know, but I see no other way it works.
brmbrmbrmbrmbrmbrmcar
brmbrmcar