Few design issues with SuperTux (balance, mostly)

Few design issues with SuperTux (balance, mostly)

Postby darkhog » 13 Feb 2018, 04:48

I've seen a couple of design problems with levels.

One of which is overly reliance on tight jump with landing spot being only two tiles wide or in some cases only 1 tile. Into The Stars level is guilty of that in particular as well as one of the levels after it the name I've forgot for the moment. This, combined with Tux's relatively high inertia makes for some very frustrating platforming where you'll fall into a bottomless pit more often than not. The solution would be either redesign problematic parts to be at least 3 tiles wide or decrease Tux's inertia so that he can come to a full stop on normal (non-slippery) tile in distance being less than a tile without any input.

Another is the fact that on some levels if you lose powerup, you're screwed as they're almost impossible to complete as small Tux. Every level should be completable as small Tux!
The situation is so bad that in some cases once you lose powerup status/die in bottomless pit it's easier to just hit ESC, select Abort level and then go back to Welcome to Antarctica where you can easily farm both fire flower and big Tux powerup, then return to the level you're actually trying to beat.

Just for your consideration.
darkhog

Re: Few design issues with SuperTux (balance, mostly)

Postby darkhog » 14 Feb 2018, 20:00

Okay, forgot about another issue: Secret areas that aren't really a secret (user can see them even if they can't access them). That really makes me laugh. Not good "Haha, I see what you did there" kind of laugh, but rather "Haha, was this designer high or what? I could clearly see that platform with coins there, just had to hit that invisible block to access it).

OK, the secret at the end of "Welcome to Antarctica" level is a legitimate secret, you can't see additional coins until you try to walk through walls, even though there's a coin arrow next to it hinting at its existence. But the "secret" areas where you can see the prize and just have to figure how to get there? They're not secret at all! They're puzzles.
darkhog

Postby manuel » 15 Feb 2018, 09:48

Think about it this way:
There's a secret path to access them ;)
manuel

Postby mteufel » 15 Feb 2018, 12:10

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
I have told our level designers about it (the small Tux problem, and the 1 tile problem).

Yes, some secret areas are visible. Many of the Icy Island levels were taken and modified from the old release, which used a lower level height. Also, there is usually an intentional visual clue or hint somewhere close to the secret (Welcome to Antarctica, the coins near the secret form an arrow). Maybe we can do something about this, though.
SuperTux developer
mteufel

Postby darkhog » 15 Feb 2018, 12:59

Yeah, I'm okay with clues (as I've said, I conside WTA secret a legit one), but not with "secrets" in the plain sight.
darkhog